World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
underINFORMED2009

Just a poll, please respond...

underINFORMED2009

I posted my first post on another thread and I want to keep this poll separate from that conversation.

underINFORMED2009

I see that lots of people (almost 30 people) have visited this poll but not yet ONE response... can you please vote? I want to know if I'm being paranoid about spreading my HSV 2 to other parts of my body. I think about it everyday when I have an itch anywhere and when I shower and wash my hands... it's a terrible recurring feeling that I would like to appease.

underINFORMED2009

To those of you that voted... and will vote...

If you voted YES: How did it happen? :confused:

If you voted NO: Do you take precautionary measures against spreading? If so, which? :confused:

Lookonthesunnyside

To the best of my knowledge, no I have not. How long have you had herpes for? Over time our bodies create antibodies which pretty much always prevents us from spreading it around. Also, herpes simplex prefers soft tissue. Unlike the chicken pox for example that can thrive on regular tough skin. It is honestly not something worth worrying yourself about. Its very rare. Also, an itch or even a rash/red mark on skin on other areas of your body should not be ANY concern. It is very rare to spread this to other areas. It has to get in through a break in your skin and even then is unlikely. I have accidentally touched 'down there' during an ob and then touched my eye or face. (Gross, I know, wasn't thinking) but the point is I've never spread this anywhere. Just avoid touching down there and then immediately touching your mouth, eyes, or around your nose. That being said, even if you did it is more likely that nothing would happen. If you practice regular hygiene you will be fine. Really not worth your worrying.

Also, I do not mean to undermine anyone who has responded "yes", as I know it is possible, however many people worry that marks or blemishes elsewhere are herpes when that isnt necessarily the case.

MonkeyDance

I spread it to the webbing between my fingers on my right hand and near my second last knuckle.

I had a paper cut and my hands were dry from washing them with soap so much (I noticed Hydrogen Peroxide bubbled and stung when I dropped some there while treating my lips).

I'm pretty sure it's H as I've seen a tiny blister on the knuckle and the rash that I get shows up when my hands have been in a lot of sun (not enough to get burnt and no rash shows up anywhere else on my hands). The OB is mild enough to where I don't mind it at all, the only thing I worry about is it spreading from that spot since hands are used for everything.

I agree that there are alot of people, myself included, who are paranoid that any mark could be H, but there are also a TON of people on this forum who have both OH and GH. It's not as improbable as people make it out to be...people use the restroom what? 3 times a day minimal? In 4 months that's a conservative 360 times that people put their hands near their genitals/brush their thighs/touch toilet paper and then use it to wipe their genitals - just for using the restroom. Just one of those times with enough virons and poof.

I'm not trying to say that autoinnoculation is unavoidable, but I don't think that it's as improbable as a lot of people make it out to be, at least in the first few months of infection.

*edit* Also, alot of people say it's impossible to infect yourself in more than 1 spot unless you got virus on 2 places in a very short period of time. IMO, 4 months is not a "very short" amount of a time...people could have sex many, many times in 4 months. People say all the time that you can't spread H through inanimate objects. I got it from a shot glass and in the short time I've been here, I've read 2 other posts from people who got it from sharing drinks. I'm not advocating paranoia, but I think it's wise to be cautious and more helpful to give noobs the facts rather than downplay the risks in the long run.

clover

Mine spread because I had ob on my face but I didn't know it was herpes and thus wasn't careful enough with hand washing, makeup etc.

WarriorKing

If you voted NO: Do you take precautionary measures against spreading? If so, which? :confused:

My understanding is that once you have it in it's preferred place it generally stays there. During an OB I do just normal soap and water hand washing and don't touch mouth and eyes. Just an ounce of prevention to not tempt fate.

Shayna

Hi Unerinformed2009,

When you see the count on how many people have read this post, some of those could be people who are not members of the forum. They can read the posts, but they can't respond unless they are members. ;)

underINFORMED2009
How long have you had herpes for?

I got the diagnosis results 23 days ago, both 1 & 2. I believe that I was infected in January of this year... or February, I'm not certain because it could be either of two girls. My first OB was in March or April, I can't recall because I didn't think much of it - just looked like sweat pimples. I treated it like any open wound with Neosporine and a band aid during the day, to avoid friction, and I washed and let it air out at night. It went away and was healed in about 3 days - though it left some scar tissue.

Nothing for months, just an itch here and there which is perfectly normal in this HOT and HUMID Miami weather. I fell in love with someone and wanted to be absolutely sure that I was STD-free so that I could commit myself. I got my diagnosis back in less than a week. I was devastated and right away the symptoms got worse. Days later my lip became sensitive and a big red pimple-looking thing began to appear. I didn't touch it and that went away in about 2 days... but even since, my lip is still very sensitive and that same spot turns red temporarily.

Now I'm into week #3... and I'm associating ever itch on my body with this disease. I've started taking supplements... I wash my genitals last in the shower... I wash my hands more often, and I pee a LOT. I'm not getting much sleep and this is taking a toll on my school and job performance. I feel like I'm in a downward spiral that speeds up whenever I am alone. I feel worse day by day... though I have found some positive posts on this forum which have proven to be mentally healing - notably the words of user MrHonest.

alittlenothing

It's possible that I spread HSV-2 from my genitals to my mouth a year after my initial outbreak, but it seems more likely that I got it from giving my infected partner unprotected oral sex.

regret

its easily spread whan your first diagnosed, but after a year its unlikely..it usuaully stays in the destination it started on, but it can spread to other parts if not careful at the early stages of it for the first year

MinerT
It's possible that I spread HSV-2 from my genitals to my mouth a year after my initial outbreak, but it seems more likely that I got it from giving my infected partner unprotected oral sex.

Were you aware that your partner had H when giving them oral? If so, why would you chance that?! My partner does not have any H but i have GH and we just completly not do oral at all.

And spreading, im not sure if I have but I might have Whitlow on one of my fingers. Maybe im paranoid but sometimes get these tiny white hole looking things after shower and my skin goes dry. I would say I have many dreams about spreading and uber uber uber OB's which i have never had. Lets just hope they dont come true haha.

LivingLife77

Went to

area between eyebrows from shaving...possibly hands...chest....ear lobe...who knows...everything seems like herpes to me...

femmemystere

Every breakout I've ever had except the first one, is in the exact same spot and I mean exactly! Just practice handwashing everyday and partcularly during outbreaks to be safe and do what you can to boost your immune system

femmemystere
Were you aware that your partner had H when giving them oral? If so, why would you chance that?! My partner does not have any H but i have GH and we just completly not do oral at all.

And spreading, im not sure if I have but I might have Whitlow on one of my fingers. Maybe im paranoid but sometimes get these tiny white hole looking things after shower and my skin goes dry. I would say I have many dreams about spreading and uber uber uber OB's which i have never had. Lets just hope they dont come true haha.

I have those dreams all the time. It really freaks me out:twisted:

underINFORMED2009
area between eyebrows from shaving...possibly hands...chest....ear lobe...who knows...everything seems like herpes to me...

I have sensitive skin and some allergies so every time that I have a slight itch anywhere I think it's this fucking H.

I'm so afraid of spreading it. It's horrible. Sometimes my eyes get irritated and that scares me the most.

laughingoutloud

I was told the obs stay in the area of the initial ob. I have only had two both were mild and both were in the same spot. I don't get them on or near my vagina, but on the infolds of my butt cheeks (fun for me) LOL I am just very careful with wiping. using baby wipes to keep area clean, I have even shaved and they haven't spread. I really think it just depends on your body and how it is reacting to this virus. But keeping the area clean is a must, to prevent infections like staff that would not be fun.

new2hsv2

NO

Have not spread yet. Only had initial oubreak so far. Obsessive hand washing and said bye bye to shaving cuz I am afraid of spreading it that way right now.

good post! good to know what precautions others are taking to prevent spreading it.

tacobell2009

Yes, you can spread it to other parts of your body!

I spread it to my arms. I thought it was a ring worm, boy was I wrong! I start treatment and notice it when away when my outbreak clear up. It look like a ring worm itch like hell, develop a scab and then dried out leaving a dark spot.

everyusernameistaken

I get cold sores- assuming it's HSV1 & have had them since I was really young, maybe 5, all over lips and around mouth. When I was a younger I took absolutely NO precautions whatsoever, heck I didn't even wash my hands after touching them. I didn't know. And I never spread it- to myself, or to anyone else (friends, eventually boyfriend)...

Now I'm more aware and pretty paranoid about spreading it to myself (or others!) so I'm more careful. I keep the area dry before it scabs, and coated in neosporin after, and I wash my hands or use Purell after I've touched the area. I use the same towel- the end for my face and the rest for my body- but I tend to wash towels and pillowcases more frequently during an OB. I change my toothbrush after it's healed.

Depending on my mood I either worry too much- or I think that I've had it this long surely if I were going to spread it I would have by now, and then I don't worry at all. The longer you have it, the less likely you are to spread it. And the more comfortable you'll become knowing the signs of your body. So you'll worry less.