World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
LifesaDrag

Haven't had an outbreak for a LONG time.....could the nightmare be over?

LifesaDrag

Hopefully this will be some hopeful news for all in the group. I was diagnosed about two years ago. The first 6-7 months it was an outbreak about every month with the severity of outbreaks diminishing over time. It has been over a year without any signs of an OB. What the hell? Not that I want the OBs back, but I hate feeling like I have it and have to tell future partners, when I feel like I don't have it.

Has anyone ever had it bad for the first year and then never had a sign of it again? If so, after much time without an OB, have you ever infected anyone else with the virus?

I hate to say it, I kind of wish I had an OB so it would knock me out of my denial stage. BTW- I was confirmed as having it as the Dr took a swab that tested positive about two years ago.

livinlifestill

I was just diagnosed in March of this year. I had my first episode in March and I was given acyclovair to treat it. it went away and then my doctor suggested that i take suppressive therapy. I took the rx but honestly i haven't taken a pill since and i have had NO outbreaks. I HATE medication..im more of a holistic person..all i do is take my wholefood vitamins everyday and drink water. I don't forget that I have it but physically it feels like I don't. I also hate the fact that I have to tell a partner about it because I myself hate rejection but its just the right thing to do.

annyi

Hi guys, I am dying to know your regular food, vitamins and activities!!! I definitely think it is nutrition and activity related, including spices, cooking flavors, please!

To your original question, if you doesn't have any OBs nor nerve pains, you can say you had oral herpes, which will not sound that scary, but still contagous.

regret

its common for the first year that one gets monthly ob's, and after a year you hardly get any ,,if at all.....be glad you dont have to deal with that many ob's anymore,,but yet i would be thrilled about that because your not as contagious then, but i still would disclose to anty future partners

jacksprat
Hopefully this will be some hopeful news for all in the group. I was diagnosed about two years ago. The first 6-7 months it was an outbreak about every month with the severity of outbreaks diminishing over time. It has been over a year without any signs of an OB. What the hell? Not that I want the OBs back, but I hate feeling like I have it and have to tell future partners, when I feel like I don't have it.

Has anyone ever had it bad for the first year and then never had a sign of it again? If so, after much time without an OB, have you ever infected anyone else with the virus?

I hate to say it, I kind of wish I had an OB so it would knock me out of my denial stage. BTW- I was confirmed as having it as the Dr took a swab that tested positive about two years ago.

The last few days I've been feeling hopeless. I've worked out I've had about 8-9 outbreaks over the 4-5 months since infection, and I'm currently suffering from two concurrent outbreaks. Your post gives me hope that this nightmare series of outbreaks will end sometime in the future. Thanks.

LifesaDrag

Jacksprat and others-

Yes, definitely keep your head up! I had some mega-bad outbreaks in the past. The initial was so bad that I went to the ER room- yes, very embarrassing--. I used to take the Acyclovir daily, as well as L-Lysine. I only took these meds for the first six months and then dropped them down to only using when I had an outbreak.

Now, I don't take any anti-suppressants. My diet isn't great and could be improved upon. I even don't exercise like I should. The outbreaks just stopped.

I don't know! All I can say is keep your spirits up. I firmly believe that the body has its own way of developing antibodies to heal this. I think if you can make it through the first year, it shouldn't be too hard to manage therafter.

jacksprat
Jacksprat and others-

Yes, definitely keep your head up! I had some mega-bad outbreaks in the past. The initial was so bad that I went to the ER room- yes, very embarrassing--. I used to take the Acyclovir daily, as well as L-Lysine. I only took these meds for the first six months and then dropped them down to only using when I had an outbreak.

Now, I don't take any anti-suppressants. My diet isn't great and could be improved upon. I even don't exercise like I should. The outbreaks just stopped.

I don't know! All I can say is keep your spirits up. I firmly believe that the body has its own way of developing antibodies to heal this. I think if you can make it through the first year, it shouldn't be too hard to manage therafter.

Thanks man. That's good to hear. Your experience really has given me renewed hope. I hardly ever get sick and I haven't taken a day off in years, so I'm hoping my immune system will learn to fight this with the same efficiency that yours has.

Cheers, Jack

annyi
Jacksprat and others-

My diet isn't great and could be improved upon. I even don't exercise like I should. The outbreaks just stopped.

Actually this is my point!! Healthy life style doesn't mean the life style to avoid OBs!! When I was alone, I was extremely critical at what I ate, very low sodium, very low fat, wild rice, fish, veggies, fruits, exercise, a lot of water first thing from morning.... Although I was on Olive leaf, echinacea, lysine religiously, I still felt my body was very sensitive to all my triggers. Now I am living with boyfriend, he is a meat eater. I always find myself in front of a thick juicy grilled steak or stews of shrimp(fat and cholestrol!!!), he likes to put lot's of tomatoes and vinegar in salads, baked potatoes loaded with creamy stuff.... But you can't cook separately when together... So I ate them all. Interestingly, I am not that sensitive anymore, just compare to a year ago(I am on the 4-5th year). Plus I am off all the supplements, only taking multivitamin, a fish oil, an iron pill(I am constantly low on that). I am eating oatmeal and cereal, chocolate coated biscuits, and even some glazed nuts!

jacksprat
Actually this is my point!! Healthy life style doesn't mean the life style to avoid OBs!! When I was alone, I was extremely critical at what I ate, very low sodium, very low fat, wild rice, fish, veggies, fruits, exercise, a lot of water first thing from morning.... Although I was on Olive leaf, echinacea, lysine religiously, I still felt my body was very sensitive to all my triggers. Now I am living with boyfriend, he is a meat eater. I always find myself in front of a thick juicy grilled steak or stews of shrimp(fat and cholestrol!!!), he likes to put lot's of tomatoes and vinegar in salads, baked potatoes loaded with creamy stuff.... But you can't cook separately when together... So I ate them all. Interestingly, I am not that sensitive anymore, just compare to a year ago(I am on the 4-5th year). Plus I am off all the supplements, only taking multivitamin, a fish oil, an iron pill(I am constantly low on that). I am eating oatmeal and cereal, chocolate coated biscuits, and even some glazed nuts!

And what's been the result of your being less careful? Less OBs?

annyi

After I am eating all the regular food at bigger amount, my body is not so sensitive to the trigger foods and I could stop taking those supplements(olive leaf, lysine etc.) without feeling those nerve sensations. And yeah, no OBs except two incidents (because of mixed alcohol and forgot vitamins for a month long trip)

LifesaDrag

Yeah I kid you not....I pretty much eat alot of meat and protein cause I just started living with my gf, and so I started eating alot more fatening foods (the stuff she cooks). I even eat ice cream, cake, nuts, sodas etc. etc. You name it. I am not trying to be a proponent of eating junk, but I think I had more breakouts when I was eating healthier. Weird. I think the body just learns to deal with it and fight off the disease naturally.

annyi

Ha, thank you for confirming that! It is interesting right?! I read postings from many health-conscious folks describing their body sensitivities! I guess they are all over-doing the lean food part. While we can't say fat and cholestrol are buffers or barriers to viral replica, there should be more to it...

hatemyex

i was diagnosed in May 2007 and got a really bad outbreak. I got one outbreak a few months later and it was just one tiny red bump...but i was not 100% sure what it was to be honest. Then I went for 2 years straight without any outbreaks then right around the 2 year mark i kept getting outbreak every 3-4 weeks for about 5 months and now i have not had an outbreak August *knock on wood* But i definitely know what you mean about being in denial cause the first 2 years I had it i kinda forgot i had it lol i never changed my diet or anything though and i have never been on any medication. i only took medication when i had my first outbreak and other than that i just let blisters go away on thier own or use witch hazel