World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
back

The secret of my success...

back

Well it’s been so long since I’ve been here I forgot my old ID and password.

I’m only here because I want to share my experience in case it might help someone else…

A little over a year ago I used to get terrible breakouts inside my nose and on my upper lip; they were driving me crazy!

Then I came here and learned about the various treatments. My doctor gave me a large, expensive prescription for Valtrex of which I only used four tablets and it didn’t seem to do much good at all…

What has worked for me and has kept me outbreak free for over a year now, was drastically changing my diet and taking daily (1000mg 5 days/week M-F) L-Lysine supplements.

The worst sacrifice was giving up my cherished oatmeal that I used to eat every morning for breakfast.

The best new daily food in my regular diet is the delicious yogurt that I now eat every day.

What really helped me the most was this comprehensive ratio list of Lysine to Arginine foods: http://www.diagnose-me.com/data/Lysine_Arginine_Food_List.html

I eat lots of the ones from the top of the list and try to avoid those toward the bottom. If I do spurge on some foods from the bottom I try to offset them by eating even more from the top.

I’m also taking a good multi-vitamin and DHEA supplements, and I'm working out heavily though I don’t know what if any effect these things might have on my success.

If I do ever get another outbreak I’ll be sure to come back and let you all know.

Good luck!

Back

WarriorKing

The human body can be so wierd. For some people the solution is simply diet, for some the meds, for some the stress reduction, but for all, life can go on.

morningglory04

Thanks so much for the link and the bit of optimism! I'm 8 months into this, having the same explosive outbreaks around my mouth as you described so tips like this are greatly appreciated :)

YoghurtFan

Went through the same thing. Started eating a 150g tub of low fat yoghurt every day - no outbreak for the last 6 months. I don't use any other supplements - just yoghurt. Also, I say away from nuts and things.

notsofast22

I too have changed my diet quite a bit. And not even really because of herpes either. I just wanted to be healthier in general. I completely cut soda out of my diet. I only drink water and juice, and it hasn't been that hard either. I never get cravings for soda and if I do drink one I don't enjoy it (fizzy makes my stomache feel bad and soooo much sugar). I went from eating fast food about twice a day to about twice a month. I lost like 15-20 pounds (which has scared me a bit since im the "stick" type, 6'4 160 pounds). I too have started eating yogurt. Cheers to yogurt, I could go on all day about how awesome it is. Its like eating dessert but its completely healthy for you. My favorite kinds are key lime pie and strawberry bananna or strawberry kiwi. The only bad thing is I've been smoking cigarettes like a fiend. I blame this on stress.

GeoKid

Thanks everyone for the wonderful tips keep em coming, I'm going through a severe outbreak and just started my valtrex suppressive therapy. I'm waiting for my bloodwork to determine H1 or H2. Does this matter at all in the grand scheme of things?

Back- could you please advise what vitamins are you taking? I'm using gnc and they are like horse tablets pretty hard to swallow and bad after taste. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

vanButterfly

Yes! Yes Yes!

What has worked for me and has kept me outbreak free for over a year now, was drastically changing my diet..

Yes yes yes!!!!! See my post too:

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?t=24250&p=133232#post133232

Isnt it fantastic to feel normal and not have to worry about cold sores ??? :)

I eat almonds every day - even though they have arginine, but it doesnt have any negative effect because I eat so well with lots of vegetables and fruit, and most importantly - reduce my sugar intake massively and eat lots of yogurt with berries.

Good food is our medicine!

Denise 07
Thanks everyone for the wonderful tips keep em coming, I'm going through a severe outbreak and just started my valtrex suppressive therapy. I'm waiting for my bloodwork to determine H1 or H2. Does this matter at all in the grand scheme of things?

Back- could you please advise what vitamins are you taking? I'm using gnc and they are like horse tablets pretty hard to swallow and bad after taste. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't tried these lysine pills yet but was told that they are really good for H. It's the quantum brand called super lysine and they are sold at vitamin shoppe. They are online so you can check it out if you want. I'm going to start these once the ones I ordered through dynamiclear are finished. I heard that it works very well that way I can stop the acyclovir all together hopefully :)