World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
jackang

AIDS Vaccine Is 'Scientific Breakthrough',what about herpes?

jackang

Risk of infection cut by 31 percent in Thai trial of 16,000 volunteers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32997306/ns/health-aids/

Hope this news can lead to our confidence of modern science for virus research including herpes!

Cure Coming Soon
Risk of infection cut by 31 percent in Thai trial of 16,000 volunteers

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32997306/ns/health-aids/

Hope this news can lead to our confidence of modern science for virus research including herpes!

I think this is the perfect time to flood the White House with emails regarding herpes vaccine and cure research. Obama wants to decrease health care expenses and cost, find a cure and vaccine for herpes.

ntdc

amazing news but the HSV-2 vaccine developed by GSK cuts risk by 40% or something for seronegative women, so they are about on par.

really this is great news.

cassassin
I think this is the perfect time to flood the White House with emails regarding herpes vaccine and cure research. Obama wants to decrease health care expenses and cost, find a cure and vaccine for herpes.

I wonder what the chances of a vaccine that would stop outbreaks and shredding really are. Anyone a doctor or know a doctors opinion on that?

Guest Seatortuga
Vaccinating HIV is more important.

I agree. But 31%??? Hopefully, this vaccine, when fully developed and made available, some of the properties of it can be applied to a herpes virus, for men and women. I heart scientists.

redyellowpurpleblue

I agree. But 31%??? Hopefully, this vaccine, when fully developed and made available, some of the properties of it can be applied to a herpes virus, for men and women. I heart scientists.

to me the numbers smell like co-incidence coz their so small.

imagine how hard it would be to date with hiv!

ntdc

even 31% is an amazing breakthrough imagine what it could do for some countries in sub-saharan african where HIV has wiped out an entire generation of people and access to drugs is poor.

Guest Seatortuga

Maybe I'm retarded, but I'm figuring that you're still running a 69% risk of catching HIV.No bueno.

redyellowpurpleblue

Maybe I'm retarded, but I'm figuring that you're still running a 69% risk of catching HIV.No bueno.

thats even if the numbers are not co-incidence. which in such small numbers looks most likely like complete co-incidence and getting percentages out of small numbers like that is stupid without investigating further. it still could be just doing nothing at all.

plus the virus is constantly adapting so it will eventually outsmart vaccinnes. i hope it does lead the way for an effective vaccinne or cure though.

there is so much evil in this world

ntdc
thats even if the numbers are not co-incidence. which in such small numbers looks most likely like complete co-incidence and getting percentages out of small numbers like that is stupid without investigating further. it still could be just doing nothing at all.

plus the virus is constantly adapting so it will eventually outsmart vaccinnes. i hope it does lead the way for an effective vaccinne or cure though.

there is so much evil in this world

The numbers would not be coincidence as the article clearly states it was a randomized placebo-controlled trial. If the trial was uncontrolled you may have a point.

ntdc

thats def a step in the right direction, first off the actual odds of catching HIV are pretty low except in some communities and parts of the world. In the gay community any drop in infection rates could make a huge impact especially amongst discordant couples. In africa it could cause enormous impacts. The article points out what they appear to have accomplished was something many scientists claimed was not even possible.