World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ginnyp

Where do doctors learn this stuff?

ginnyp

Seriously,where does the medical community get their information?

This is the THIRD time my boyfriend has been told misinformation.

Less than a year ago, he was tested for types 1 and 2. IGG.

He was positive for type 1 with greater than 5 on the IGG scale.

He saw a new doctor today, who said, I see you've tested positive for herpes. Did you have an outbreak?

He said no.

She then told him it must have been caused by having chicken pox when he was younger.

How does a doctor not know that chicken pox and herpes simplex are DIFFERENT? If a doctor doesn't understand THAT MUCH about herpes I'm not sure they should be a doctor.

If he had the IGM test, then I might understand. I know that test is unreliable and can pick up on chicken pox or mono, etc. But just because someone hasn't had an ob it doesn't mean they don't have it, and when the majority of people don't have outbreaks... it's so ridiculous. Telling someone who tested positive that they just have the chicken pox virus is so uncool because it will make people think they don't have it, as well as keep them thinking that everyone with herpes knows they have it - and that herpes is really a major thing that only a few people have.

I really wish I could be there when my bf hears all this crap from doctors about herpes. I would like to inform THEM.

catiesmom

I would have been livid. As it was, when my doctor called me and told me my results, then INSISTED i couldn't have gotten it from oral sex, i know she was full of shit. If he was even SLIGHTLY educated about the virus, he should have been giving HER advice!!

It's amazing these people are put in full charge of our healthcare..... this is exactly why i don't trust doctors AT ALL.

KitchenCook

I completely understand your frustration - I made my own topic in another section about a similar story. I copy and pasted it below if you want to read it. I'm starting to lose my faith in doctors! We go to them b/c they're supposed to be the "experts" and then find out they don't know SHIT!!!

I went to my OBGYN 2 years ago because I had a "rash" on my vagina. I specifically asked if it was herpes, but my OBGYN told me it was an allergic reaction to something and I should change the brand I use for laundry soap, body wash, toilet paper, tampons, etc. Anything that could touch that area to cause an allergic reaction. After changing EVERYTHING I use, this rash never went away. I went back to my OBGYN about 6 months later and she still insisted it was an allergic reaction. One year later (which was 2 weeks ago) I went to my OBGYN again for my annual check up, and again she said it was an allergic reaction, and to keep changing the brands I use until we figure it out. She said it looked like I have diaper rash. I decided to get tested for STD's while I was there, and 3 days ago I got a call confirming I have genital herpes. How was my OBGYN so completely blind to this when I came to her THREE TIMES with an outbreak?? How could she not even think twice that it might be herpes??? She never even once suggested that I get tested for it, she just said it was an allergic reaction EVERY time I asked about it, and told me I had nothing to worry about. I have had unprotected sex in the last 2 years and now I feel HORRIBLE about the possibility that I may have given this to other people because my doctor was ignorant enough to think nothing of it when I came to her. How upset should I be with her? Should I confront her about this, or just change doctors and be done with her?

mommaof2

Along the same lines as misinformation...I was told never to go swimming again because I could infect everyone one in the pool..gotta love the docs

Guest Seatortuga
Along the same lines as misinformation...I was told never to go swimming again because I could infect everyone one in the pool..gotta love the docs

What a kind doctor.

oic

Lmfao, if only that was the case, then herpes wouldn't have such a bad name.

regret

i blame the health community of not having updated information on herpe cases.. they reallly dont know much about it..and so therefore keep giving the general public wrong information and keep spreading it. i think most of the dr.s should get it themselves because maybe something would be done about it

ProudMom
I completely understand your frustration - I made my own topic in another section about a similar story. I copy and pasted it below if you want to read it. I'm starting to lose my faith in doctors! We go to them b/c they're supposed to be the "experts" and then find out they don't know SHIT!!!

I went to my OBGYN 2 years ago because I had a "rash" on my vagina. I specifically asked if it was herpes, but my OBGYN told me it was an allergic reaction to something and I should change the brand I use for laundry soap, body wash, toilet paper, tampons, etc. Anything that could touch that area to cause an allergic reaction. After changing EVERYTHING I use, this rash never went away. I went back to my OBGYN about 6 months later and she still insisted it was an allergic reaction. One year later (which was 2 weeks ago) I went to my OBGYN again for my annual check up, and again she said it was an allergic reaction, and to keep changing the brands I use until we figure it out. She said it looked like I have diaper rash. I decided to get tested for STD's while I was there, and 3 days ago I got a call confirming I have genital herpes. How was my OBGYN so completely blind to this when I came to her THREE TIMES with an outbreak?? How could she not even think twice that it might be herpes??? She never even once suggested that I get tested for it, she just said it was an allergic reaction EVERY time I asked about it, and told me I had nothing to worry about. I have had unprotected sex in the last 2 years and now I feel HORRIBLE about the possibility that I may have given this to other people because my doctor was ignorant enough to think nothing of it when I came to her. How upset should I be with her? Should I confront her about this, or just change doctors and be done with her?

I am dealing with the SAME EXACT THING right now. My GYN LOOKED at this rash on Tuesday and said it is NOT herpes, even though I've tested positive. I've had it since late Sept. A dermatologist looked at it too and thought it was just an irritation. I am SO confused and want to find a Herpes expert but where do you start to even LOOK for one?

gotitsowhat

Doctors are

surprisingly ignorant about hsv infections. And the truth is that a lot of doctors will do whatever they can to avoid diagnosing herpes and casting their patient into an unfair social stigma. Many doctors feel that if they just tell you it's something else and it goes away and you never have another outbreak, then you will not have to suffer the stigma. Almost half of everyone who has a primary outbreak never experiences another one. Doctors don't like to give a patient a life changing, often shattering, diagnosis for something very minor which may never present any further symptoms. (See my post of long ago--you'll have to look it up under Personal Experiences--Doctor Dictionary, in which I explain all of the many ways some doctors use to avoid diagnosing herpes). It took me SIX doctor visits to get a diagnosis at Kaiser and the 6th doctor finally told me that they have an unofficial policy at Kaiser of not diagnosing herpes if they can avoid it. Doctors are inclined to regard herpes as not a big deal because, medically, it usually isn't for most people who get it.

ashtrayheart

I just shake my head. I have been undiagnosed by three doctors who just say, "well why do you think you have herpes? You didn't have unprotected vaginal sex, you're fine. You don't have blisters, therefore you don't have it. It can't spread to your hands. It would have shown up on the test by now(3 weeks). That's just an ingrown hair and a yeast infection and BV... oh maybe Lyme Disease- you like hiking right?" It's unbelievable how misinformed the three doctors I went to have been. It kills me because I work in a medical library and have read so much professional literature, texts, and studies on the virus and they just talk to me like I'm just imagining the symptoms. Hypochondria doesn't cause nerve twitches, discharge, feel like stabbing in the vagina for a month and a half, and diminish with the Acyclovir and Neurontin I had to beg for.

gotitsowhat

I've posted about this

If you like, you can access my old post Doctor Dictionary in which I describe all of the various ways doctors will typically try to avoid a herpes diagnosis. This is very common. I actually did have to see 6 doctors at Kaiser before one would test me for hsv. Many doctors will avoid a diagnosis if they can. And some doctors are just ignorant or their information is outdated.