World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
gotitsowhat

Just an idea for opposing the stigma

gotitsowhat

I was thinking of trying to find a comic who is making stereotype reinforcing jokes about herpes and people with herpes and then either picketing him or her (if I could get a few people who are willing to publically say they have herpes and carry the signs...anyone in the LA area?) or sending him/her a petition or letter.

I just want to put these comics on notice since I know how many people in these audiences are inwardly cringing but don't dare say anything so they pretend to laugh at it.

I don't care about a herpes reference in a joke (in other words, a joke that just happens to mention herpes as part of the joke) and I don't mind a joke that makes fun of typical attitudes towards herpes (that might even be a good thing), but I do mind jokes that reinforce the stereotype; jokes that clearly promote the idea that people who get herpes are promiscuous, bad and dirty and not entitled to sex, love and even personal dignity and will be alone, and deserve to be alone, for the rest of their skanky lives. I would like to let these comics know that these stereotypical jokes are not so funny and that they are hurting people, the exact opposite of the comic's intentions.

Anyone in the LA area interested? We could start by going to a lot of comedy clubs, maybe one per week, in order to monitor these comics....that would be the fun part! And then, if we run into any lowlife stereotype reinforcing comics, we could decide what to do to let them know this is not acceptable and they will have to upgrade their act.

catiesmom

Or better, send them one of those anonymous emails saying they need to get tested!!! It mght not make it through the barriers of press agents or whatever, but if it did, it would sure be a wake-up call, and they might even have it!

Although, i have to say, i don't know of any off the top of my head. I know Dane Cook references herpes, but SO and i both agree we think he has it based on the way he talks about it.

artgirl87

Although, i have to say, i don't know of any off the top of my head. I know Dane Cook references herpes, but SO and i both agree we think he has it based on the way he talks about it.

I've always thought that about Dane Cook too! I love his stuff : )

Anyway, even before I had herpes and I heard his sketch about it I remember saying to my roommate "You know, the way he talks about it I think he probably has it himself!"

I also saw an interview with him where he talks about that tour (I think its rough around the edges that the herpes sketch is in?) and he's talking about how most of his sketches are trying to get people to look at serious real world issues even though he's bringing them to their attention in a funny way. Like he has a sketch about giving "15 f-ing cents" to kids in Africa and those stupid commercials, and how america needs a bigger push than that. He also says that most of his sketches are based on personal experience, and talks about how the one with the condom breaking had really happened to him recently. Given the stuff he says in the interview, I wouldn't doubt that he has it and is trying to promote awareness through his comedy.

I don't know how well you know that sketch, but if you think about it most of the stuff he says doesn't reinforce stereotypes, he even says that if girls get it guys don't even care. And the whole "lets play a game called 1 in 4..." thing does get out the statistics that 1 in 4 people have it.

Guest Seatortuga

Dave Chappelle made a herpes joke...but it was kinda funny! The only thing about it was...it kinda promoted thd idea that oral herpes is just "cold sores" but funny nonetheless. Did anyone see that episode, with the skit on shopping networks?

I honestly can't think of any comics, or at least main stream ones that make fun of herpes.

MissPandora

As a comedian myself, herpes jokes don't really bother me and I'll explain why. I wholeheartedly agree that the comics making the jokes most likely have it themselves. I never joked about herpes before my diagnosis, but now that I have it and think about it almost 24/7, it's hard for me to not joke about disease, promiscuity, and AIDS in my improv. My material comes from what's on my mind and this stuff is what's on my mind! There's a kid on my improv team that almost always jokes about stds and describes herpes symptoms from the perspective of someone that has it, so I'm pretty sure he's got it too. And I think you guys were right on the money about Dane Cook. Anyway, I strangely find jokes about herpes comforting, because it shows that it's so common and that it really is just a dumb, embarrassing virus. AIDS is a much scarier thing to joke about, as it really is a much more serious disease.

Now18

Dane Cook's herpes jokes are weird. Most comedians just make fun of it reference to ****ty girls with herpes being interchangeable with chlamydia or syphilis. His repeated reference to how common it is makes me think he has it. He also make a LOT of jokes about it. Not only did he do that whole routine on it, but I've also heard him make other jokes about it on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Oddly enough, I would have never have been tested if I hadn't heard his 1 in 4 joke.

Butterfly of the Moment

I think Carlos Mencia made a joke about herpes. He said like in the commercials for valtrex people are cool with it, but if a girl told him she had herpes he would be out of there. I'm pretty sure it's him but it could be someone else. I thought it was pretty pathetic of him.