World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
TrailerPark

Worried & Consuded

TrailerPark

Hi,

I feel very worried, which does not help my stress and anxiety problems. Here’s my situation:

• I had a relationship on September 5th and 10th.
  • It was protected for intercourse, but not for oral sex.
  • Around September 11th & 12th, my partner had cold sores on the mouth, which was diagnosed by her doctor as herpes, most likely HSV-1.
  • She tested on September 16th for a blood test, although she hasn’t received the results yet.
  • I tested on September 21st. HSV-1 is positive, HSV-2 is negative. My doctor says that about 70 to 80% of people have HSV-1 (cold sores – oral herpes).
  • Never had any symptoms what so ever, either mouth or genital.

I thought HSV-1 for more related to oral herpes, although your website and other websites as well mention that HSV-1 could generate genital herpes. I don’t know what to think anymore, the fact that my HSV-2 came back negative, but what if my partner gave it to me via oral sex ? From what I have been reading on the Internet, I would have to test 3 months from the risky situation ? So my HSV-2 would be a somewhat “false negative” ? I must try not to think about this anymore, because it is driving nuts and insane.

justmyself

If your partner has HSV1 orally (cold sores), she can transfer HSV1 to you by performing oral sex, with or without a current cold sore. However, if you have antibodies to HSV1 already, even if you are asymptomatic, it is highly unlikely that you will get HSV1 genitally.

If she does have HSV2 genitally, which it is almost NEVER oral, you can still get the virus with condom use.

TrailerPark

Hi justmyself,

As per your explanation, if my partner has HSV-1, she can transmit it via oral sex, which would mean that I would have HSV-2, in other words, genital herpes ? Although my test of Sept.21st came back negative and do not have any symptoms yet (either oral or genital), that means I have to re-test HSV-2 after 3 months being exposed ?

talesofagirl
Hi justmyself,

As per your explanation, if my partner has HSV-1, she can transmit it via oral sex, which would mean that I would have HSV-2, in other words, genital herpes ? Although my test of Sept.21st came back negative and do not have any symptoms yet (either oral or genital), that means I have to re-test HSV-2 after 3 months being exposed ?

You are getting yourself way too confused.

When your partner gets their test results back, if they are negative for hsv-2, you don't have to worry about it. Unless they had sex with someone shortly before they had sex with you in which case...to be safe get re-tested in 3 months.

You have hsv-1. In all likelihood, you did not catch it from your partner. You were tested so early that you had very little time to create antibodies if it were a new infection. You probably already had it.

Is it oral or genital? No way to know right now. Statistically speaking, probably oral. And if your recent sexual encounter was your first, then definitely oral.

totalregret

I was told by a nurse who is a expert in herpes that 50% of people can test positive after a month of exposure of HSV-1. So, it is possible you got it from your partner, or possible you already had HSV-1 hard to say. I am in the same boat...tested positive for HSV-1 after 1 month to 6 weeks of exposure. Never had cold sores before, but have them now in both locations. So, I'm assuming I got them from my partner at that time. Who, btw, had never had a cold sore before.

talesofagirl
I was told by a nurse who is a expert in herpes that 50% of people can test positive after a month of exposure of HSV-1. So, it is possible you got it from your partner, or possible you already had HSV-1 hard to say. I am in the same boat...tested positive for HSV-1 after 1 month to 6 weeks of exposure. Never had cold sores before, but have them now in both locations. So, I'm assuming I got them from my partner at that time. Who, btw, had never had a cold sore before.

A month might be enough time, but if you look at the times, it was only about 2 weeks between potential exposure and testing. Probably not enough time.

The hsv-1 was probably a preexisting infection.

Shayna
Hi justmyself,

Hi Trailerpark,

HSV1 doesn't turn into HSV2 because of location. It would be GHSV1 or Genital HSV1.

HSv1 and HSV2 are different strains of the virus. The location is the only thing that is interchangeable.

TrailerPark

Hi Shayna and talesofagirl,

Thank you for the information you're providing me, it's really appreciated. I understand more now and I'll wait for my partner's results, as she should have them very soon. Her blood test date VS her last relationship before me dated from almost 3 months, so I guess her results would be reliable, good or bad. I just hope she does not have HSV-2.

TrailerPark

Hi,

My partner came back with her results. HSV1 is inconclusive, meaning that it is neither positive or negative, although she had obsvious symptoms. HSV2 came back negative. As mentioned below, HSV2 came back negative for her, so technically, I should be fine ? Although, for HSV1, am I the one who transmitted to her ? although I had no symptoms and never had oral herpes ?

totalregret

You will probably never know who gave it to who. You both have it now. Some people test positive w/in a few weeks. Have you had an outbreak since receiving the positive results? If not, then it's probably safe to assume you already had it. And, since 80% of the population has it she may have already had it as well. Was this her first cold sore or has she gotten them in the past?

TrailerPark

Hi totalregret,

Thanks for getting back to me. No outbreak for me and as for my partner, it was her first cold sore.

TrailerPark

I'm very nervous today. I hope it is nothing, but I noticed a pimple on my scrotum. It is very small and really looks like a pimple that I would have on my face (like on my forehead). It is not itchy or anything, I just noticed it yesterday because I shaved. Would anyone comment ? Should I go see my doctor ? As mentioned previously, I have HSV1, but never had any symptoms, either oral or genital.

totalregret

If you are nervous you can get the pimple swabbed, if there is something to swab.

BTW - I spoke to someone on here that blood tested positive after two weeks. So, you never know...

TrailerPark

my partner tested negative for HSV2 and as for HSV1, the test came back nor negative or positive, basically inconclusive. Her last relationship before me was 8 weeks before her blood test. what exactly do you refer when you mention, tested positive after 2 weeks, so you never know. Does this mean I can also have HSV2 ? I'm confused.