World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
jacksprat

Does your 'trigger' always cause an outbreak? HELP APPRECIATED!

jacksprat

Hi there

I'd really appreciate your input on this, as I'm trying to understand and get on top of my frequent outbreaks.

I've had HSV2 for 6 months now, with frequent but minor outbreaks (bar one mother of an OB). My OBs are never painful with only a bit of itching, so I can be thankful for that.

I've had about 10 OBs, but they don't seem to be linked to my diet. Or at least not to one of the classic triggers. About 2 months after infection I went 6 weeks without an OB with no meds.

During this time I had coffee everyday and got drunk 2-3 nights a week - does this mean that coffee and alcohol are not triggers? I had a big OB at the end of the 6 weeks, so could that mean that although alcohol isn't an active trigger, a prolonged period of not looking after myself could be? Some people say that alcohol, sugar, coffee etc brings on an OB. This doesn't seem to be the case for me, so can I continue in moderation?

Could it be that I don't really have any triggers, but the virus is still active in my body and I'm going to have frequent OBs for now, whatever I eat?

I've played around with different doses of meds, but that doesn't seem to help much. I'm now taking 250mg of Valtrex a day, with 1g of Lysine, multi-B and vit C, as well as a lot of fresh fruit.

ANY INPUT on this - thoughts, ideas etc, would be massively appreciated.

Cheers all...

Jacksprat

totalregret

jacksprat,

Do you still get outbreaks while on valtrex? Actually, wondering how many get outbreaks while on suppressive therapy?

BTW, I can't figure out my triggers either. Mostly it seems when I think about it then it comes. And, I can't help but think about it.

jacksprat

I was taking 400mg of Acyclovir twice daily for a month or so, and got a mild OB (they're pretty much always mild). Bizarrely, the drug was making me piss incredibly frequently - about 10 times a night. This got a bit tiresome so I switched to one 500mg of Valtrex daily, which helped with the urinating but I still had frequent mild outbreaks.

I can't afford to do more Valtrex and don't really want to consume any more. I've now switched to 250mg a day as it's not doing much anyway and I want to ween myself off of it. If the 250mg stops the big OBs, that'll do me for now.

I was inspired by someone's story, a guy who said his frequent OBs just stopped after a year. No tingling, no outbreaks. I haven't had a day off sick in years, I just never get sick. So I'm hoping I can strengthen my immune system to issue a similar response. I've never been fitter, I've never eaten healthier, and I'm convinced my body can learn to suppress it effectively.