World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
oic

I cant afford sex.

oic

At my doctors appointment yesterday , I explained to them my situation. I think I have herpes, and I have not had sex since I suspected I had it. I explained to them i want an answer, I need to know if I have something that I can spread on to someone else. The doctor did not answer any of my questions, instead she tried to get me to go on birth control. I argued that there is no need, because I will not be having sex, no one night stands, nothing. she didnt seem to understand, instead, she gave me the look, I could read her thoughts just from what she did with her eyebrows. ''herpes can take monthes to determine and diagnose, she is going to give up sex r that long because of this??''

I understand that this clinic deal with alot of sexually active teenager, but the truth is I dont intend on having sex at this point of time of my life. Because its too darn expensive. let me explain my expenses in the last 12 months.

I have had sex no more then 8 times in the last year, and in the last year I have spent 300$ on pain killers and anti biotics for UTIs which I get everytime I have sex, which take 5 days to heal with no more pain.

Then, whatever is wrong with me now, they diagnosed it first as a yeast infection, so I bought the cream and about 3 pills plus what the hospital perscribed. so that was about 100$

Then, they diagnosed me with impetigo , They perscribed me with anti biotic cream 3 refills. so all together it was 90$

Now, they are telling me that if I did have herpes, That I woul have to pay 70$ for each treatment. meaning 70$ per outbreak.

I seriously need to goto university and get a darn good career, to be able to afford a husband!

then after I explained this to the nurse, she was like ''oh ok, well do you need any condoms'' and i replied ''no i still have the ones you gave me 8 monthes ago'' .. again gave me a wierd look.

Guest Seatortuga

Hahaha, and the hookers in Nevada are charging 2000 an hour!

PetiteGeekGirl

Hey OIC,

You were talking about $70 a treatment. I know that treatments vary depending on the type of herpes you have, the severity of the outbreak, and what your doctor and you discuss, but if $70 is the going rate for that clinic, might I suggest trying to visit a Planned Parenthood (if you live in an area supported by one)?

I myself am currently an unemployed college instructor with no health insurance. Right now life in these United States can be very difficult for all walks of life, but Planned Parenthood has been helping me out in terms of birth control, condoms, pap smears, pelvic exams, and STI screening and treatment for years. I'm not trying to make it sound like an advertisement, but I think that it's a great organization and would recommend it if it makes things easier for you.

Hope that helps!

gotitsowhat

Yes, PP can sometimes help...

but maybe you should also know that some treatments for herpes are much more expensive, but not necessarily better, than other treatments. For instance, Valtrex costs a lot but Accyclovir, which is pretty much the same thing chemically, costs a LOT less. Also, many doctors believe that antiviral drugs should only be used during an outbreak. For chronic outbreaks, they sometimes ask you to take it for a while, sometimes in heavy doses but you would need to ask the doctor about that. I went through a time a couple of years ago with chronic, repeated outbreaks and I took a large dose of Accyclovir for three months and it really did help.

But, eventually, you may not have to take meds at all. Some doctors believe it is better if you can develop antibodies on your own instead of taking meds so they recommend meds only when absolutely necessary. I only take Valtrex (I had to fight my insurance company to get it at a reasonable price) during a serious outbreak, maybe once a year. My doctor also recommends Valtrex (or Accyclovir) for hsv related UTIs along with or instead of an antibiotic.

Consider that you may get better as the years go by. Within a year or two you may have very few or no outbreaks (let's hope!) so things might get better for you. And they are going to be coming out with some new medical management techniques for hsv in the near future.

I also take Lysine (in liquid form), vitamin c (ester-C in powdered form), ginseng capsules every day and a multivitamin. And I try and drink a lot of water. I also listen to comedy albums and read funny books, trying to boost my immune system and have some fun at the same time.

So you may not need meds in the long run and maybe for now you could get hold of some Accyclovir either at your clinic or on the Internet.

I hope things get better for you soon.

PetiteGeekGirl

Thanks for the extra information, Brainy Blonde!

I get acyclovir through Planned Parenthood. I so far am very happy with it and have not experienced any outbreaks. However, I know popping those pills can't go on forever, so I sometimes worry about how my body will react once I decided to stop the suppressive therapy.