World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Cure Coming Soon

HSV Facts needed for letter (Need your input)

Cure Coming Soon

Well I received an email from Dr. Debbie Stein at PCAST. I would like to send her some great information. It needs to be short as I'm going to request she reviews my email with other PCAST members and President Obama on Oct. 22-23. Dr. Cullen's grant request was not approved so I'm hoping we can get the attention of PCAST regarding his research along with Harvard and UofF.

I'd prefer to send the email Monday the 19th. Give me some HSV facts that might interest PCAST to become interested in vaccine and cure research. I've attached her email below. I will not be attending in person. The last time I spoke with Dr. Stein she stated she'd review information I sent her about HSV with PCAST. I'd like to provide her with a shorter email but with a wealth of information about HSV and those conducting research, etc.

Greetings,

Thank you for signing up for the public comment portion of PCAST’s meeting. At this point, the number of individuals who have signed up for participation exceeds the time we have available. Therefore, I am asking each of you to:

(1)Confirm your participation by responding to this email;

(2)Consider not participating if you have spoken at a previous PCAST meeting on the same topic so that others have an opportunity to provide their thoughts to PCAST about their ideas.

If you do decide to speak at the PCAST meeting, your time limit will be two minutes. This time will be strictly followed. As indicated in the Federal Register notice for this meeting, the public comment period is designed for substantive commentary on PCAST’s work topics and not for marketing purposes. Note that PCAST does not provide travel costs for your participation in the public comment session.

Thank you again for your interest in communicating your ideas to PCAST. Please feel free to contact me with any additional comments or questions.

Deborah D. Stine, PhD

Here's what I got so far.

Dr. Stine,

I am not able to participate in person. I do however respectfully request that you speak with those in attendance at the next PCAST meeting on Oct. 22-23, 2009. As stated in my previous email, I would like to inform President Obama and all those of PCAST about the current Herpes Simplex Virus research, HSV-1 (Cold Sores & Genital HSV-1) & HSV-2 (Genital Herpes which can become Oral Herpes). It's a serious virus, 75% of the U.S. Population has HSV-1 and 1 in 5 persons have HSV-2. This virus is sometimes a deadly virus to babies and I believe more funding is necessary to protect our youth, cure those infected and protect future generations. Researcher Dr. Knipe at Harvard University is researching a HSV vaccine. Researcher Dr. Cullen at Duke University is researching a cure for HSV. Researcher Dr. Bloom at University of Florida is researching a way to inhibit HSV which would prevent recurrence.

Facts about HSV:

• HSV-1 (Cold Sores & Genital HSV-1): Herpes labialis is an infection caused by the herpes simplex virus 1. It leads to the development of small and usually painful blisters on the skin of the lips, mouth, gums, or lip area.
  • Most people in the United States are infected with the type 1 virus by the age of 20. 75% of the U.S. population has HSV-1.
  • The virus remains in the nerve tissue of the face.
  • The facial cold sore virus can infect the genital area causing genital hsv-1.
  • Herpes infection of the eye is a leading cause of blindness in the United States, causing scarring of the cornea. An estimated 400,000 Americans have recurrent ocular herpes, with 50,000 new cases occurring each year.
  • HSV-2 (Gential Herpes & Oral Herpes): In America, one out of every five of the adolescent and adult population are infected with gential herpes.
  • It is possible for a person to carry the virus without knowing that they have it, since up to 80% of people who are infected with gential herpes show no signs of the infection.

Sincerely,