World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
morningglory04

Love to hear your positive stories please!

morningglory04

Hi, I'm new here and just looking for a little support.

6 months after being diagnosed with oral HSV-1 I began dating again. Unfortunately I'm in the minority of people who have pretty explosive outbreaks regularly, thus far about ever 6 weeks.

I'm now 9 months into having oral HSV-1 and 3 wonderful months into a relationship. I was upfront and had "the talk" about 10 days after our first date, and he decided it was something we can work through. I am on Lysine, recently started suppression therapy, I am conscious of what I eat/drink, and we are extremely cautious during and surrounding breakouts.

Nonetheless, my non-H guy and I are both worried and looking for reassurance that with caution and common sense, we have a chance of carrying on a long-term relationship without passing this. Any success stories or advice in that realm would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

WarriorKing

I have HSV2 and through two marriages lasting about 27 years I did not pass it to the best of my knowledge.

JBnATL

It sounds like you are taking all the necessary precautions

Have you heard about Lysine? It has been shown to help prevent outbreaks. Click on the link to the right "What is Lysine" to learn more.

When I am dating someone I take 400 mg of acyclovir and 1000mg of Lysine a day.

I have had this 'gift' many years and have dated many non h women without passing this along.

Good luck!

JB

metropolitan

I have had herpes for a year and a half, and was devastated when I found out, like many people are.

Then I found a beautiful girl on PositiveSingles, she moved to my city from across the country, and things are great!

We've been talking for over a year and in a romantic relationship for about six months. Definitely glad I got over my distrust for online dating sites.

morningglory04

Thanks so much for your replies!

JB - I am on Lysine as well, 1000mg morning and night :) Thanks for the thumbs up, I'm feeling better and better about this.

Metropolitan - good for you! Happy for you to move past the things holding you back!

justmyself

I was diagnosed a little over 2 months ago. As with most everyone, I was devastated and felt like my life was over. While this is a normal reaction for pretty much everyone, what varies is the amount of time you spend wallowing in self-pity and believing your life is truly over. While sex is fun and I enjoy it a lot, it is BY FAR not my life! And sex is the only thing that herpes has changed in my life. I am now feeling even better than I did before I got herpes, which goes back to the saying, that which does not kill us makes us stronger. I feel that I have yet again jumped another hurdle along the path of life and I'm just going to keep on running! Herpes isn't going to stop me! I'm better than that!

Misty67

I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago. When I got the phone call my world stopped, I could not breath. I was angry, confused and very hurt. I was disgusted with myself, not because of the virus, but how I caught it.

I am married as far as I know right now my husband does not have "H", enough said, I want go into how I caught it. Not only was I going to have to learn to deal with a lifetime virus, but I was going to have to fight to save my marriage.

My husband and I have good day and very bad days. He is amazing! truly a gift from God. He told me when I told him about the virus he fully expect to catch it. He had not intention of using a condom to a women he had been married to almost 20 years. He is selfless, he is not conerned about the virus, we are not going to live in fear of him catching it. We are free to make love anytime we want. That is a wonderful powerful feeling.

It has been 5 weeks. I have come full circle with "H" I hardly ever think about it. MANY people are living with it! it does not change us. I refuse to let it own me, or take away any of my joy. I am taking better care of myself because of it, and I feel great!

It is sad that everyday new people are coming here finding out they have "H" this has been the best place for me. There are so many people that need advice, and so many people willing to give advice and offer support!