World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Undefeated

pityriasis rosea

Undefeated

Has anyone every heard of this? If so, do you think it is possible for this to be linked to herpes?

hhasthehblues

Hello... I had a severe case of this last summer. My Dr. told me that it is believed that it can be triggered by a virus (although she also said this is just a theory and not much is known about it) so I am assuming that could include herpes.

Undefeated

really?? That's interesting to know, I was beginning to think that I'm alone in this. It's probably associated on some level with HSV b/c they are both said to be "viral" infections, from the reading I've done on Pityriasis Rosea. I know it's been a while for you but do you remember any of your symptoms. Thank you and I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

hhasthehblues

Good evening Undefeated,

Yes, it started off as a few red scaly patches on my stomach I think. I didn't think much of it at first b/c I had had similar patches maybe 3 or 4 times prior (over the course of my life) that would go away in a week or two. This time, however, the scaly patches began to multiply until they pretty much covered my torso (according to what I've read this is the typical pattern, rarely occurs on the limbs). Some were as large as an inch and a half in diameter. Of course, at this point, which was like 3 or 4 weeks after the first few patches appeared, I was completely freaked out and went to the Dr. She knew immediately what it was and told me she had seen quite a few cases recently. There is no medication you can take so you just have to wait for it to go away on its own. My case cleared up in about 8 weeks, but I guess it can take as long as 3 or 4 months. It can defintely have a high shock value! Even my mother, who is a nurse, was like "oh my god!" when I first showed her lol. But, don't worry about it, it's nothing to be concerned about and supposedly it's like checken pox in that you typically only get it once.

hhasthehblues

Oh , and I also wanted to mention that it can occur in reaction to any virus. I think I had been sick just prior to my case...

Misty67

hmmm

I have a small rash under my nose and on my chin. Wonder if it could be this? Does it get on your face too? anyone know?

Undefeated

Thanks again for responding! Just wondering (if can remember), did you have any other symptoms such as; mild headache, fatigue, stomach discomfort, etc??? I guess since it is said to be a virus, one will pretty much have the symptoms of a virus/flu, right?Curious....

Misty67

Undefeated are are you taking about the "H" or the rosea?

I have not had any of those symtoms with either. Even with my first "H" ob. I am trying to do some research to see if this get on your face.

I just don't know what the rash in under my nose and on my chin.

I guess it could be the virus, or stress, who knows!

Undefeated

Hey Misty67, no pityriasis rosea does not appear on the face, it's only on the torso, back and legs. You probably have a minor skin irritation. :)

hhasthehblues

PR

Hi again,

I don't think I had any other symptoms, but I just read on the Mayo Clinic website that other cold/virus like symptoms may be present (they also state on the site that there may be a causal relationship with HSV). I also wanted to say that my understanding is that they don't know exactly what PR is - virus or otherwise, rather that it is believed that it occurs in response to another virus.

kidmellie

I had pityriasis rosea

I discovered a rash on my torso in November 09, in the shower about 3 hours before I was leaving on vacation for a week. I basically hoped that it wouldn't get worse while I was away and decided to deal with it when I got home. Luckily it was only cosmetic and barely noticeable for the 1st week. I basically counted 47 small red spots on my chest, stomach and back. While I was away I took several baths and realized that the spots got redder when I was in hot water.

When I returned the rash had spread to an uncountable number of dots. The rash never spread to my legs or face. I had some on my neck and arms though. Some of the dots were scaly, with dry skin over them and I was only slightly itchy at times. Most were small, around 1/4 inch or less, however a few were up to 1 inch wide. With the help of the internet, I discovered a name for my ailment - pityriasis rosea, and also discovered that there is pretty much no cure for it. It goes away by itself after several weeks (hopefully!).

The cause is thought to be a virus, but there is evidence that it is a form of herpes. I'm wondering how many others who get it also suffer from herpes. I myself have gotten cold sores since I can remember. My father gets them, so I assume he transmitted it to me as a child (thanks dad! :rolleyes:)

Hot showers/baths make pityriasis rosea worse. Sunshine is supposed to help.

I basically tried to take shorter showers- its just too cold in Boston in November to take a lukewarm shower! I also washed the spots with some herbal rose water, which seemed to have a cooling effect on the rash. I considered going tanning, but the rash started to fade after 4 weeks so I didn't bother. At 5 weeks it was almost completely gone.

If you have Pityriasis Rosea, don't worry to much. For most people it seems to go away on its own. Yeah, you'll feel like a leper for a few weeks, but if it's the winter (which is supposedly when it occurs most), at least you can wear long sleeves and a scarf. My husband was the only person who ever saw my spots.

Hope that helps!

Undefeated

WoW!! Thank you for responding, even now! Due to my complexion, it's going to take a lot of time for the spots to totally disappear and I'll probably need some sort of scar oil to completly vanish them. I just didn't understand this rash, it scared the crap out of me, it almost had me thinking that something more senister was going on! (lol) but the doctor assured me that it's a skin virus that occurs in some during the fall and winter months. It was just horrible! I've never felt such an itch or over heated sensation like that one before. In a way, I really think it's herpes related b/c both of them are viruses, I'm not really sure and it's okay now b/c it's gone and I've made peace with it. It's reassuring to know that others have experienced what I went through and I'm able to communicate my thoughts to someone who understand, so thank you!

kidmellie

I'm sorry to hear that your symptoms seem to have been much worse than mine. Any itchiness I had was pretty mild. Glad to hear that the worst is over now though.

And thank you! I found this forum through your post after searching google for Pityriasis Rosea forums.