World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
lilly90

Cold Sores

lilly90

Hello all! Thanks for being here. I contracted H about 8 months ago. The initial ob was a couple blisters downstairs and a cold sore. Since then, I've had a couple obs, only a cold sore, no genital symptoms. Blood tests came back negative twice (yes I waited the proper amount of time) but I'm living life as a positive person. From all the research I've done, it seems as though I have type 1 but here's the problem...I don't know how to approach the dating thing.

1. I don't want to contract another type of H.

2. I would like to try the non-h dating world (internet dating). When I have the talk with someone, what do I tell them? "I'm convinced I have Herpes but my tests are negative" or "I get cold sores...how do you feel about that?

I'm sort of in a pickle because I'm going on assumptions. I know I have oral HSV but don't know what happened to the genital stuff. If I don't know what I'm dealing with, how do I make someone else understand? Any advice??

artgirl87

You should wait until it's been at least a year and then test again. I think thats the longest I've heard anyone say it takes to test positive. If it has been a year and you're still testing negative, then you don't have it. I mean thats just not possible...if its not showing up in your bloodwork then its just not there. Other things like yeast infections or BV irritation can look like herpes, and as for the coldsores that could have just been acne. My mom gets coldsores and at one point she thought she had somehow spread them to above her upper lip on the skin because what she had there looked like a big coldsore..and she went to the derm and he said it was adult acne brought on by really bad stress.

talesofagirl
You should wait until it's been at least a year and then test again. I think thats the longest I've heard anyone say it takes to test positive. If it has been a year and you're still testing negative, then you don't have it. I mean thats just not possible...if its not showing up in your bloodwork then its just not there. Other things like yeast infections or BV irritation can look like herpes, and as for the coldsores that could have just been acne. My mom gets coldsores and at one point she thought she had somehow spread them to above her upper lip on the skin because what she had there looked like a big coldsore..and she went to the derm and he said it was adult acne brought on by really bad stress.

I'm going to disagree here. HSV1 doesn't show up in something like 10% of tests that should be positive. Did your doctor think it was herpes? What made you think it was herpes?

Since no tests have show up positive, you probably are not obligated to tell a partner anything. But if you're certain it was herpes, it was most likely type 1. Type 2 isn't known to have the same testing problem. And I'd have any new partner tested. Odds are good that they already have type 1. If not, then explain transmission rates, etc. But type 1 is very common.

lilly90

My doc took one look at it and said it was Herpes. I kinda knew it based on the textbook symptoms I had and the fact that Valtrex was very effective in treating it. I know tests can be wrong so I think I might just wait and be tested again. Weird being in between two worlds though.

makanese

I'm in the same situation (waiting on tests, diagnosed then not, negative than waiting) on a probable?? ghsv-1 infection

I always wonder, will h-peeps know what I mean if I say 437737-1?