World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
LadyLove

Is it bad if you dont treat the outbreaks?

LadyLove

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering how serious it is if the outbreaks are not treated? I use to take Valtrax until my refills got all finished. So I have to go back to the doctors to get a refill...but the sad thing is that my doctor is not here anymore and I am too ashamed and embarrassed to go to another doctor and explaining why I need to get a refill on Valtrax. I know that doctors are here to help us but its too painful for me to talk about it because I end up crying and just hating myself for what has happend to me. So it's been about a few months now since I have not got my refill and I only had a couple of breakouts..nothing too bad. Normally when I felt a breakout coming I would take my pills and after 3 days its all gone and I dont feel the discomfort. But now that I dont have the pills I just leave it. The breakout is not bad, it would come out with a lil tingling and it just takes longer to go away because I'm not taking the pills....so I'm wondering is it bad that I dont take the pills...will it hurt my health or increase my breakouts? I know that trying to avod stress, eating healthy foods help prevent the breakouts.

I will go to the doctors and get a refill once I find another family doctor again. Then I can let that person know everything about me..but just the thought of going to a medicenter and asking for those pills and having it on my file just makes me want to hide under a blanket. I rather have my medicenter doctor treat me for my colds or flus etc...instead of seeing that i'm on valtrax. :???:

JBnATL

No it is not bad if you do not treat your outbreaks

in fact it may help you in the long run. Letting your body fight the outbreak will probably strengthen your immune system and lead to fewer outbreaks in the future. And sense you do not have severe outbreaks then it should not be a problem for you.

If you are dating someone I would suggest you take meds daily to help prevent the possibility of passing it along. When I am dating someone I take 400 mg of acyclovir and 1000mg of lysine a day. Look into taking Lysine, it is an over the counter amino acid that is not that expensive.

And don't worry about going to another doctor about this. You apparently dont have a problem going to a doctor about a cold or flu, but guess what, they are virus just like herpes is.

Good luck!

JB

regret

no you dont have to, if it doesnt bother you that much i wouldnt, and as far as finding another dr. just tell them your previous dr. had given you valtrex and you need it refilled ,,no big deal, dr's see so many patients on a reguler basis with this they dont eventhing twice about it,,when you see differernt ailments everyday it becomes boring to them..they dont give it a second thought as much as you might

justmyself

Since this virus can't actually be "cured," all the meds to is suppress it. For the most part, your body can do that on its own if your immune system is strong. If you are having constant, prolonged outbreaks, the meds can help with that. If you choose to be on meds, your options are to either take a high dose of the meds during an outbreak (episodic) or take a lower dosage every day (suppressive). Otherwise, if the outbreaks are mild and infrequent, try to strengthen your immune system (see info on Immune System Tips to the right side of this forum) and let your body suppress the virus on its own.

Good luck!

Undefeated

Why take the meds if you don't have too, I personally do not and have not taken any prescribe medications for this virus and I'm fine. Let your body do the work, the meds only cause other issues and suppress your immune system, you need healthy immunity in order to fight this and other illnesses. If you want you can take Lysine & olive leaf which is very inexpensive and can be purchased at your local health food store, these two items kept my outbreaks away!

LadyLove

whats the better med...valtrax or lysine pills??

whats better valtrax or lysine pills? please check my post..i've added it to the wrong one. sorry guys.

LadyLove

Whats the better med for obs- Valtrax or Lysine

Hi everyone,

I've heard that taking Lysine pills (which I can buy over the counter) can help prevent genital outbreaks...is this true?

My question is....why didnt my doctor tell me that I can take this instead of valtrax?

If I can take Lysine rather than Valtrax will it give me the same results as Valtrax does? Whats so different between the two? If I take Lysine can it harm me in any other way?

I;ve heard the Valtrax cant harm me at all and theres no side effects...which is true for me so far...since this is the only drug that I've been relying on for the past 7yrs.

It does make me feel better to know that I dont have to go to the doctors to get my valtrax prescription filled again. Now I can just go and get it over the counter...are there different types of lysine that I should be concerned about?

I much rather buy Lysine than going to the pharmacist because a. that person knows why i need to take it and b. i'm always afraid they might say VALTRAX real loud so others in line will hear what I'm getting...so to avoid this i normally hang around the drug store until I see no one in line. Once the coast is clear I run up there..and try to get it as fast as I can to avoid them asking me questions about the Valtrax pill.

On top of that valtrax is expensive..thankfully i am covered by my work's health insurance by 80% so I only have to pay 25 bucks..but what happens if i lose my job, then that means I'd have to pay over 100 bucks for it out of my pocket. ..and there is no way i'm going to claim this bill on tax return becaue i do not want my accountant to see what i'm taking...

Another pain in the butt with the blue pill (valtrax) is that i cant have it lying around anywhere.. i always hide it so that no one sees it...why does this damn pill have to have VALTRAX on it anyway?

So if I take Lysine pills instead...is this just as good as Valtrax? Does it have the same effects as valtrax? Does it make a difference if I take Lysine or Valtrax to prevent the spreading to another partner?

I've heard that Lysine is a lot cheaper and it will help boost my immune system and I shouldnt have any genital break outs...which is good right?

Are there any disadvantages in taking lysine?

Butterfly of the Moment

Lysine is a natural supplement but it is not as effective as clearing up an outbreak as valtrex or acyclovir. Acyclovir is much cheaper and it accomplishes the same thing. I take lysine but I still get outbreaks. I don't take any suppressive medicine myself though. I let my body do it's thing. I don't have any health insurance and I would like to go to the doctor to get a checkup simply b/c I haven't been in well over a year. I'm afraid of even the doctor knowing I have genital herpes. Doctors are people too and unfortunately that means they have a personal opinion about people with herpes. They too are affected by the stigma. I want a doctor who is well educated on the matter and who I know won't judge me. I know it shouldn't matter but this is my health and I'm not paying some bitch to judge me even if I don't know about it.

regret

if you have been on valtrex for 7 yrs have you tried going without for any length of time? i would think by now you could go without and just use it for if you have an outbreak? otherwise yes lysine does help, but not for the bad painful outbreaks..