Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greatday

How many days can you take Valtrex?

4 posts in this topic

I know this seems like a stupid question, but I was prescribed valtrex three days ago in the emergency room for a miserable outbreak (only my second and I was diagnosed three years ago HSV1) in my cervix and on my vulva. I have now used up the three days scrip but I am still having sores and pain.

I have a refill for the valtrex. what i want to know is can you keep taking it longer than 3 days? I have been taking 2 (500 mg) tablets a day. I don't have a doctor to call and I don't want to sit in emergency for 8 hours again:-D

I asked the pharmacist if i could refill and keep taking it and she said well it depends on what your treating.

I don't know what she means.

Have any of you taken Valtrex longer than 3 days? Also, is it safe..I mean is it one of those drugs we're going to see on commercials with lawyers asking us to sue in a few years???

I hate meds. If i don't take the valtrex will the herpes go away on its own?

What is the normal amount of time for a herpes outbreak to last. I am on my 10th day...is this normal?

Thank you for any help.

people on suppressive therapy take 500-1,000mg daily, this is a common dose but you might want to check with a doctor first just in case. you can probably call the hospital and schedule an appt or talk to the prescribing doctor.

I have taken anti-virals for years with no problems

When I am dating someone I take 400 mg of Acyclovir (cheaper versus Valtrex) daily. I have been doing so for years with no side effects.

Walmart carries Acyclovir for $4 for a 90 prescription.

Good luck!

JB

My doctor prescribed 1 gram Valtrex tablets 2 times a day for 10 days when I had my first outbreak. My boyfriend got the same exact dosage. I would definitely ask for a higher dosage.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• SureWhyNot
      From my personal experience, if the body is dealing with another issue, in your case yeast, that will weaken the immune system sufficiently to allow the HSV to manifest. I blamed HSV as the root of my problems. I now understand it shows itself when our body is weakened or dealing with something else. This is why whole body healing is so important to keep this virus in its place and inactive. I was having repeated OB's for 3yrs after many years of nothing. My problem was based on my chemical imbalance and how my body was dealing with food. Since correcting that I have been symptom free and back to my normal. A long road back but worth the journey plus I have my health and vitality back!!!! I will never look at food the same as others do!!!! 
    • gonnakillher
      @LinksJ  It's becoming quite obvious that you're ignoring the evidence and just trying to convince yourself it's ok to continue having sex. And that decision is solely based on a few uneducated doctors whose knowledge is lacking and outdated. You know this disease is commonly misdiagnosed and  that 1/10 or more people do not test for it. And you also know you've had herpes symptoms shortly after a sexual encounter. 2+2=4 in my world...yours? And @WilsoInAus, who seems to believe that having multiple sexual encounters is normal and perfectly acceptable, is encouraging you to "get back out there, kiddo ". Wtf, seriously? Has everyone lost their minds?
    • LinksJ
      Yes, so I do see your point. My brain is at this crossroads:  1.) Ignore doctors advice (its not like I got 1 iGG and said fuck it im believing my results, I consulted THREE physicians for confirmation, so its not like I have been as ignorant as you are implying). Start relationships with condoms, and if the time comes to move past condoms just say I had a scare and tested negative and doctors told me to just live.  2.) Disclose to all sexual partners that I may have a highly misunderstood incurable std which they are statistically already carriers of (orally). With this decision I face the possible alienation and shaming that comes along with a college social environment. I can't see the future, and people can be untrustworthy especially as situations change.  So the point is, it seems dumb to have to subject myself to extra social anxiety and risk when I have not found confirmation of an hsv infection. Is it possible I have it? Yes. Is it possible I don't? Yes. The line must be drawn somewhere. Do you get my point?
    • gonnakillher
      @LinksJDo YOU think you could possibly be infected?
    • LinksJ
      Those posts were made assuming I was going to get a Doctor's diagnosis. If I receive confirmation of a gh1 or gh2 infection, then yes, I think disclosure is important. However, after listening to multiple docs tell me otherwise, should I believe what they say, or believe my own pseudoscience?
    • gonnakillher
      Not true if you had no prior infection. You stated that you had your first cold sore AFTER the last encounter and along with the other symptoms. @WilsoInAus you wanna chime in here?
    • gonnakillher
      Reading through some of your previous posts elsehwere...you're a hypocrite. You've been telling others the same things I've been saying, but now you've done a 180. 
    • Second_chance
      So would Pritelivir work more as a suppressor rather than a cure? 
    • LinksJ
      I actually agree with Wilso here. Why should I subject myself to disclosure for an UNCONFIRMED diagnosis for a virus 60%+ of the population carriers that has been around for millenia and is only now  been made an issue to sell medication.
    • LinksJ
      Know I have what? Oral HSV1? Everything you read says if you have one its highly unlikely to have it in another location so I dont know what your point is. 
  • Featured