Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greatday

How many days can you take Valtrex?

4 posts in this topic

I know this seems like a stupid question, but I was prescribed valtrex three days ago in the emergency room for a miserable outbreak (only my second and I was diagnosed three years ago HSV1) in my cervix and on my vulva. I have now used up the three days scrip but I am still having sores and pain.

I have a refill for the valtrex. what i want to know is can you keep taking it longer than 3 days? I have been taking 2 (500 mg) tablets a day. I don't have a doctor to call and I don't want to sit in emergency for 8 hours again:-D

I asked the pharmacist if i could refill and keep taking it and she said well it depends on what your treating.

I don't know what she means.

Have any of you taken Valtrex longer than 3 days? Also, is it safe..I mean is it one of those drugs we're going to see on commercials with lawyers asking us to sue in a few years???

I hate meds. If i don't take the valtrex will the herpes go away on its own?

What is the normal amount of time for a herpes outbreak to last. I am on my 10th day...is this normal?

Thank you for any help.

people on suppressive therapy take 500-1,000mg daily, this is a common dose but you might want to check with a doctor first just in case. you can probably call the hospital and schedule an appt or talk to the prescribing doctor.

I have taken anti-virals for years with no problems

When I am dating someone I take 400 mg of Acyclovir (cheaper versus Valtrex) daily. I have been doing so for years with no side effects.

Walmart carries Acyclovir for $4 for a 90 prescription.

Good luck!

JB

My doctor prescribed 1 gram Valtrex tablets 2 times a day for 10 days when I had my first outbreak. My boyfriend got the same exact dosage. I would definitely ask for a higher dosage.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Sarahbby28
      Yeh it's my concern I don't really care about type one as I'm in mid 20s would say a lot people have and gential is rare to spread and will disclose my oral more concerned about type 2 if condom was used what are odd's from a few occasions at brotel ? 
    • VVK
      Okay. I have hidden some posts. Wilso and K_Sock - you two obviously have a lot to discuss in private between the two of you rather than derailing topics. The other parties involved in thread necromancy and perpetuation of same: Your marks have been made in this topic. Yes, there are people that rightfully believe herpes to be a vile and disgusting virus that shouldn't be accepted. Likewise with the responses. It's all the same, saying it multiple times in different threads doesn't make anyone more or less right. How about something that's actually relevant to the topic? In February 2015, the OP of this thread pointed out some reading material about how herpes, which was viewed on the same level as the common cold, was made into something of a big deal in the mid- to late- 1970s. If it wasn't fear-mongering, it was certainly a marketing strategy that worked. People started to pay much more attention to herpes infections and wanting to avoid them and/or protect their partners. Regardless of how many people or what percentage of the population has herpes (of whatever type), it makes no sense to generalize everyone's experience with the virus. Most will be okay, but some will have it pretty rough, with physical and/or psychological symptoms.    
    • mushroom27
      Wish it was, cause this is all I do, NOW.......  I hate Hsv and all it has taken from my life......Yet , in a strange way has made me a better man. I was quite the woman iser , and a woman gave it to me. Love ......... So now the World I live in, looks all so different.  HSV made me look at me, and helped me in a strange way.......... I guess , I though I understood suffering, but I did not. Now I can spend more time, finding ways to help people, cause its not all about  me.  I like these little guys cause life is funny how we all run around like ants, and really going nowhere but back home, to do it again....If it were not for the love of money most people would not know what to do with them self.
    • throwawaynyc
      Again, not going to be offered in the US at the start - it will be a few hours away by plane.
    • WilsoInAus
      But what is potentially unique about HSV is that what people think and behave around it is a thousand times worse than what the virus can ever do itself. Hence what you, I and 100 others think IS entirely relevant.  
    • Peonies4
      im from kc, if you're still out there. very lost here.
    • Lisajd
      Id love for those who cant deal with it to be ok with it but some cant.  Someone once told me that how something affects you is what matters.  Whether you or i or 100 others with hsv think its no big deal is irrelevant.  We try to help people be ok with it and appreciate that its a big deal for them.  If they dont try to move forward then i have issue with that but you still acknowledge their feelings
    • WilsoInAus
      Is your hand one of the pictures in the article?
    • mushroom27
      Time to take things under control......  
    • mushroom27
      Well, Iam a little confused, Thought I had hsv 2 , and think I DO.  , I do get Herpes Whitlow  .40%er.....lucky I guess.... Never any cold sores. once in awhile small blister on penis, not on every OB.  Herpes Whitlow comes on  2 x to 4 x a year.....Now if I have trauma to hand, it comes. STRESS, can bring it on.. Herpes Whitlow. Right NOW I am having worst OB ever , all fingers are swollen , with small bumps, TIPS of fingers very sore. Thumbs cracking lots of PAIN. I got hsv 2 about 6 years ago. I get a small pain down below,ass itches, small pain peeing,.than BAMAM...HANDS break out.... Herpes Whitlow......NOT all the time, WHEN it does its not FUN.............Think I must have touch my feet, NOW they got IT. SON of BITcccch. First thing I have to do is  isolate first OB point., and not let it touch other parts of skin...........  Been on computer all day, ordering stuff to build up my immune system, I don't WANT this kind of OUT BREAK  to happen again, EVER ..... Attack Herpes with Cleopatras Monolaurin, Great Anti Viral Forumula 600mg 200Cap  from E-BAY  Olive Leaf Extract Super Strength 750 mg 60 Caps  from Amazon   Quantum Super Lysine, 180 Tabs, 1 Bottle .....Theraneem, Organic Neem Leaf Veg Capsules, 120 Count     Plus a Viral Herb Kit. to make smoothies. and  Neem Active Toothpaste- 200g X 3  from amazon.....
  • Featured