symptoms started 3 days ago

red bumps on shaft of penis and scrotum

bumps itched briefly this morning

no flu like symptoms

red itchy eczema like rash on face

the facts:

I have had genital warts in the past (10 years ago) from a steady girlfriend

I received oral sex from a prostitute 2 days prior to symptoms occuring

protection was worn but saliva got on the base.

The doctors visit:

went yesterday and doctor said it could be herpes or syphilis. Gave me a shot of penicillin and prescribed antibiotics. I was sent to the lab to get tested for herpes and AIDS.

The wait is terrible, I'm depressed and very scared. My main concern at this point ( other than a poistive for HIV ) is that this will ruin an 8 year long relationship with a girl I plan to marry and start a family with. I know what I did was selfish and stupid, I just hope I can get past this with a new lease on life. Thanks for listening.

justmyself

The rash on your face is most likely unrelated unless you kissed the girl. The blood test will not come back positive if this recent exposure caused herpes. You would have to be retested in a couple of months to be absolutely sure that you did not contract HSV. Did the doctor take swabs of the sores? If it is herpes, you would have contracted herpes virus type 1 from receiving oral sex from someone with oral herpes type 1. The virus is not transmitted via saliva, but from skin to skin contact, so it is possible that her mouth directly contacted your skin where the condom didn't cover.

IF it is in fact herpes type 1, many people have it orally, even from childhood. If you find out you have HSV1, have your girlfriend get tested. She may already have it. Just tell her you want to both get tested just to be sure neither of you have anything. Don't tell her why.

You are not the first, and certainly far from the last, guy to have ever received sex/oral sex from a prostitute. In my opinion, it shouldn't have to be disclosed to your girlfriend, whether you have herpes or not. Also, again just my opinion, the risk of you having it is low since a condom was used. You and your girlfriend can still be together, get married, have a family. Don't let one incident of sexual prowess ruin the chance of that.

greentree

It just seems like too much of a coincidence that the bumps appeared 2 days after the incident. No the doctor did not swab me, so I can expect a false negative result (if I indeed do have herpes)? Suggesting a herpes test after 8 years of monogamy might seem a little strange to her. Now I'm afraid that I contracted HIV some time ago and my symptoms are a result of a supressed immune system. I don't know, it's easy to think that you have everything when reading up on symptoms online! Thanks for reading and responding, this has been a crappy couple of days.

justmyself

Be careful not to confuse HIV with HSV. I assume you meant to say HSV, not HIV. Yes, you would get a negative blood test result if you did not already have HSV from a past exposure. You need to be tested again in a couple of months or get the sores swab tested. Swab tests are more accurate when done as soon as the sores appear.

Maybe you can say you feel like you are getting a cold sore and want to make sure she already has HSV1, because it is so common, before engaging in oral sex or kissing, so she doesn't expose herself to it. Tell her you heard of someone contracting genital herpes from receiving oral sex from someone with cold sores.

Relax. Don't beat yourself up over this. We are sexual human beings and it is not always easy to control those feelings. It doesn't make you a horrible person because you gave into a moment of weakness, it only makes you human.

Hang in there! Good luck and keep us posted!

greentree

No, I meant HIV. I had a few, what I thought was semi risky encounters in the past. From everything that I've read, what I did has a very low risk of contracting HIV. Still… the demographic of parties involved are what scares me. Anyway… the bumps have now appeared on my scrotum, slightly itchy. It's been 4 days since first symptoms, none of the bumps have broke open. I imagine this has to happen for a swab to take place? I have to tell you, this absolutely sucks but if it's true that the first ob is the worst than I think I can deal with this! Man am I looking forward to this all being behind me! :-D