World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
TinDrum

Confused about all this testing

TinDrum

Hey all:

I'm pretty sure at this point that I've tested positive with HSV-2. I recently went to my GP for a full STD panel and everything came back negative except for HSV-2.

It was an odd phone call, as my GP casually mentioned it, asked me if I had symptoms (never and I'm very, very neurotic about this sort of thing, have always asked the OB-GYN about anything that looked even the slightest bit funny, which is often since I get the occasional ingrown hair). He left me with, ust be vigilant and schedule an appointment if you notice anything out of the ordinary.

After taking a moment to process that he was telling me I had tested positive for genital herpes (which, while not the end of the world, is also not the smallest deal in the world) I called back, at which point he mentioned that on the Herpeselect test I had received a "low positive" (1.5).

My last sexual encounter was one lone encounter ( an unprotected rekindling of a former long term romance) 13 weeks ago and before that protected (several interludes) 6 months ago. The unprotected encounter is with an ex who recently also received his full panel and came out clean, to the best of my knowledge. Our conversation regarding the mattter was brief. ("HIV negative, clear of all other STD's save for HPV which I don't think they test dudes for"). I'm not positive, as we've fallen out, but I'm pretty sure he sees the same doctor I do, thus presumed inclusion of the HSV testing in his screening.

In any case, I've had one unprotected encounter with a man who has likely (but not assuredly) screened negative. Any other encounters are 6 months out and protected.

I'm negative for HSV-1, Positive for HSV-2 (igg 1.5) and my doctor doesn't even seem to think I should be tested again (although we agreed I would in a month). In the interest of not losing my mind during that month I would like to better understand the situation --

How often do false positives occur with the Herpeselect in HSV-1 negative people?

Is this something I could have had for years with a low negative titre?

If I was in act definitely infected 13 weeks ago, would I still have such a low reading?

Is the titre affected by how long the infection has been present?

Is my doctor's confidence misplaced?

As for now I am proceeding as though infected. Despite the hopes of those online, it seems that it is likely I have Genital Herpes. Until tested, I don't have plans to be active sexually active and when I am, I plan to use disclosure, condoms and antiviral medication to make sure there is awareness and prevent transmission.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.