World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
littlelily09

Visual confirmation only??? Sorry long! Confused

littlelily09
:confused: Ok, here's my story....daughter works in the health care industry. She took off a shirt of a resident who had GH2. She didn't use her gloves and he didn't have any lesions or open wounds on him. She just took off his shirt. This was about 1 mth ago. Fast forward, last week she shaved her privates and a couple of day's later she noticed a "cut". This cut only lasted 2 - 3 days. Made her start thinking and got her worring that she might have GH2 by him. She's had or has no other symptoms. She made an app. with her GYN and we went to see her last Friday. Told her the story, discussed sexual history, only been with 2 people, current bf of 1 year. She did a visual exzamination on her and said she had it....said she found her groin lymph node slightly enlarged. She prescribed her Acyclovir for 10 days. She didn't do a swab, no blood work nothing...just the visual. I'm kicking myself for NOT asking for a blood test to be done. The dr was very short with daughter, who was very upset....the dr even said she was relieved she had it and not cancer or something worse!!!! :( I'm really not convinced that she has GH2. I've made an appointment with MY GYN for further testing and 2nd opinion. I'm confused and daughter is upset....what's your opinion????

JBnATL

Sorry, I don't think your daughter is a member of our 'club'

The virus does not live long outside the body for very long. So transmitting it from her patient to herself is highly unlikely. She would probably have a great chance of being struck by lightning.

You may want to wait for a couple of months and have a blood test. Is she does not have an active outbreak they will not be able to do a swab. Blood tests look for anti-bodies to the virus and it takes your body at least 12 weeks to create them.

You too must be really close for her to talk about her grooming habits down there with you.

Good luck!

JB

littlelily09

That makes me feel better. But what about the fact that the dr said it was by the fact that she had a "cut" and a swollen lymph node? I was pretty sure she couldn't have gotten it from a patient but she has had 2 partners.

I guess I am lucky that she can talk to me but this....I'm not so sure a mom what's to know this!!!! LOL I'm really praying about this and hoping that the dr was wrong with just a visual exam.

littlelily09

Could someone answer my question about the what the doctor told her??? I'm just really concerned because she didn't order a blood test, just said she had it by looking and by her lymph node. My daughter is totally freaking out and I really don't think she has it. Her only symptom was the cut (she had just shaved) and this lymph node being swollen. Her bf has no symptoms. We are going to MY GYN on Monday for a second opnion and blood test. Please, I'm needing some advise!

devastatedbythis

her dr is unprofessional you cant get herpes like that unless she wiped her self immediately after touching that person herpes doesnt last long once the air gets to it.

Lookonthesunnyside
The dr was very short with daughter, who was very upset....the dr even said she was relieved she had it and not cancer or something worse!!!!

Was an utterly RIDICULOUS, unnecessary, irrelevant statement on the part of the doctor.

How the hell is herpes comparable to cancer in this situation? Ughh what a prick!!

Honestly, your daughter could not have caught it this way, and one cut isnt enough for a visual diagnosis. Definitely insist on a type-specific blood test 2-3 months from now. (But really, she did not contract it from this man. Its impossible in every way)

Also, I've been told that the lymph nodes in the groin can swell for any number of reasons, even when someone has a cut or injury on their leg. Even if it was reactive in some way, it wasnt necessarily to that cut. Also, I'm thin and can feel mine all the time, no matter what.

Really hope your OB GYN can be more helpful! Good luck ;)

jericho

We've heard about doctors who are reluctant to diagnose herpes, but this is utterly ridiculous. If GHSV were so easily transmitted, 99.9% of the population would have it.

She may have it, but it's not from that patient. The cut could easily have been from shaving. And the lymph nodes? Lymph nodes will be swollen from any kind of infection. How that doctor deduced that of all the possible viruses and bacteria out there, this case of swollen lymph nodes was due to HSV is beyond me. Perhaps you should ask her how she came to that determination. :rolleyes: