Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cure Coming Soon

List of herpes cure and vaccine research

34 posts in this topic

I'm trying to compile a list of ALL cure and vaccine HSV research being conducted. This list would be extremely useful to those newly infected and also those wanting to read about research. If this information is one section of this website it would be a great quick reference and could be used for those who send letters/emails and make phone calls. Whatever I don't have on this list please reply with a link and who's doing the research.

Here's a list of herpes simplex virus research currently being conduct.

VACCINE RESEARCH

Harvard Medical School Professor David M. Knipe –

Type of research “HSV2 Vaccine”

Webpages – Personal, Knipe Lab, Herpes Vaccine Developed, Meet The Scientist Interview

Southern Illinois University Medical School Professor Bill Halford –

Type of research “ – HSV1 Vaccine”

Webpages – Herpes Vaccine, Bill Halford Awarded $400,000 grant,

BioVex - Biotechnology Company

Webpage – Vaccine research, Bio-Medicine article,

GenVec, Inc. -

Webpages – Grant For HSV-2 Vaccine Program, Grant for HSV-2 Vaccine Program (PDF), GenVec and Partners Get NIAID Backing,

University of California – Irvine Professor Dr. Anthony Nesburn –

Type of research “HSV1 Eye Vaccine”

Webpage - Halting herpes eye disease, Discovery Eye article,

Herpevac Trial for Women - GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals –

Webpages – Herpevac, Herpevac Trial for Women,

CURE & OTHER RESEARCH

Vironova –

Type of research “Inhibit virus HSV”

Webpages – Vironova’s antiviral approach, Clincial Trails doucment,

Peregrine Pharmaceuticals (Bavituximab) –

Type of research “Cure HSV 1&2”

Webpages - Study shows Peregrine's bavituximab can cure lethal virus infections

Duke University Professor Bryan R. Cullen –

Type of research “Cure – HSV1”

Webpages - Personal, Time Magazine Article,

University of Florida Professor David C. Bloom –

Type of research “Inhibit virus – HSV1”

Webpages – Molecular basis of pathogenesis of the herpesviruses, Potential new herpes therapy studied,

It's not a cure though, is it?

Not yet, but if I remember correctly, they had only been studying the virus for 5 months when they made this break through. So given more time perhaps this could be a cure.

I apologize if this was posted in the wrong place.

JB

Updated list:

Here's a list of herpes simplex virus research currently being conduct.

Here's all that needs to be done before a vaccine or cure is released. Click here.

VACCINE RESEARCH

Harvard Medical School Professor David M. Knipe –

Webpages – Personal, Knipe Lab, Herpes Vaccine Developed, Meet The Scientist Interview

Southern Illinois University Medical School Professor Bill Halford –

Webpages – Herpes Vaccine, Bill Halford Awarded $400,000 grant,SIU Med School Receives NIH Grant to Study Herpes Vaccine,

BioVex - Biotechnology Company

Webpage – Vaccine research, Bio-Medicine article,

GenVec, Inc. -

Webpages – Grant For HSV-2 Vaccine Program, Grant for HSV-2 Vaccine Program (PDF), GenVec and Partners Get NIAID Backing,

University of California – Irvine Professor Dr. Anthony Nesburn –

Type of research “HSV1 Eye Vaccine”

Webpage - Halting herpes eye disease, Discovery Eye article,

Herpevac Trial for Women - GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals –

Webpages – Herpevac, Herpevac Trial for Women,

Alphavax -

Webpages – Main page, HSV Vaccine,

Mymetics -

Type of research “HSV Vaccine”

Webpages – HSV Introduction, HSV Article,

Cel-Sci (Leaps) -

Type of research “HSV Vaccine”

Webpages - Prevention and Treatment of Infectious Disease, LEAPS Technology Has Ability to Modify Immune Response,

CURE & OTHER RESEARCH

Vironova –

Type of research “Inhibit virus HSV”

Webpages – Vironova’s antiviral approach,

Duke University Professor Bryan R. Cullen –

Type of research “Cure – HSV1”

Webpages - Personal, Time Magazine Article,

University of Florida Professor David C. Bloom –

Type of research “Inhibit virus – HSV1”

Webpages – Molecular basis of pathogenesis of the herpesviruses, Potential new herpes therapy studied, UF article,

You forgot to mention the research currently conducted by Nanobio, which I personally find the most promising:

Nanobio

Oral herpes: product characteristics (http://www.nanobio.com/Dermatology/Herpes-Labialis.html), product on the company pipeline (http://www.nanobio.com/Dermatology/Product-Pipeline.html).

Genital herpes: product characteristics (http://www.nanobio.com/Anti-infectives/Genital-herpes.html), product on the company pipeline (http://www.nanobio.com/Anti-infectives/Product-Pipeline.html).

You forgot to mention the research currently conducted by Nanobio, which I personally find the most promising:

Nanobio

Oral herpes: product characteristics (http://www.nanobio.com/Dermatology/Herpes-Labialis.html), product on the company pipeline (http://www.nanobio.com/Dermatology/Product-Pipeline.html).

Genital herpes: product characteristics (http://www.nanobio.com/Anti-infectives/Genital-herpes.html), product on the company pipeline (http://www.nanobio.com/Anti-infectives/Product-Pipeline.html).

This doesn't appear to be a cure or a way to inhibit the virus. It seems this research is to speed up the healing process. Am I wrong?

This is what the Nanobio website says about the products I mentioned:

Oral herpes (supposed to enter phase 3 this year, though I have found no info on it): It is anticipated that NB-001 will rapidly capture market share from all Rx and OTC current therapies, as well as dramatically expand the market by offering the significant number of untreated sufferers a viable treatment option. Safety, efficacy and the low potential for the development of resistant strains make NB-001 an ideal candidate for an early stage switch from Rx to OTC, or as a product initially launched as an OTC product.

Genital herpes (should soon enter phase 2, according to the pipeline): It is anticipated that NB-00X will be appropriate as a stand alone treatment as well as a co-treatment used in conjunction with systemic anti-virals for the treatment of genital herpes.

i think that's a great idea especially since the end of the year is near.

hello cure coming soon..i think you are doing a wonderfull job here!!!! i was wondering about the bavituximab...i clicked on your links and can't find anything that says about HSV 1....where did u find th info....and i was wondering if there is any new infor about the cullen cure anything new and how long till they find a cure thanks

cure coming soon,also is there anything new on the bloom research

hello cure coming soon..i think you are doing a wonderfull job here!!!! i was wondering about the bavituximab...i clicked on your links and can't find anything that says about HSV 1....where did u find th info....and i was wondering if there is any new infor about the cullen cure anything new and how long till they find a cure thanks

If you click this link -

It's quoted

"Researchers have found that PS is exposed on the outer membrane of cells infected with HIV, influenza (including avian flu), herpes simplex viruses, hemorrhagic fever viruses, measles and members of the small pox and rabies virus families."

Then reference the first paragraph in the article -

"TUSTIN, Calif., November 23, 2008 -- Peregrine Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ: PPHM) today reported publication of data in Nature Medicine that supports the broad anti-viral potential of the company's novel anti-phosphatidylserine (anti-PS) antibody platform, showing that its PS-targeting drug bavituximab can cure lethal virus infections in animal disease models."

cure coming soon,also is there anything new on the bloom research

No not as of now. He's having students from the university create a website that's specific to his research and should have up-to-date info. Dr. Bloom stated he'll email me when the sites up and running. Last friday he replied stating it should be up in 2 weeks (from last friday).

As for Dr. Cullen, he stated he's going to reapply for a NIH grant again in Feb. 2010. While I hate waiting, it's better then him saying I don't know what I'm going to do now. Gotta be happy he's a go getter with his research.

ccs,,,,,thanks i like ur info very informative...

sry about so many questions

i just have some more.

vironova-it doesn't say when they think there will be a cure any idea on that? and is it a cure..will be any use to us since it is in a diff country

cullen,bloom,and bavituximab are all cures correct?

i wish cullen would give us more infor\ on when more progress would be done...it says bloom will be doing clinical trials in humans after one year and that should be in a couple of months is this true...

i hope everything works out i hope cullen gets goin his sounds most promising but far away...

Has anyone read this?

NanoViricides, Inc. (OTC BB: NNVC.OB) (the "Company"), reports that the Company has filed its quarterly report with the SEC on November 23rd. The Company reported that it had $4.2 million in cash and cash equivalents as of September 30th, 2009. The Company previously reported that it had successfully raised a total of over $4.3M in different private placement instruments. The details have been disclosed in an SEC Form 8-K filed on October 5, 2009. The Company believes it has sufficient funds to last through the end of December, 2010 at the current rate of expenditure.

The Company now has four commercially important drugs in its pipeline, targeting a total market size of approximately $40 Billion. These drugs target HIV, all Influenzas, viral diseases of the external Eye, and Herpes Simplex viral infections including cold sores and genital herpes (HSV). In addition, the Company has R&D programs in collaborations with reputed institutions against several Neglected Tropical Diseases and agents of interest for Biosecurity. These include hemorrhagic fever viruses such as Ebola/Marburg, Dengue, and Rabies, among others.

Our current drug programs include a pan-influenza drug candidate, “FluCide™”. This drug was recently reported to be highly effective against H1N1 influenza in a lethal animal model, leading to an average 14 days survival. It is generally believed that a 14 day survival in this lethal challenge model would suggest indefinite survival in other standardized animal models. FluCide is designed to be effective against all influenza A strains and mutants. We anticipate FluCide to be effective against highly pathogenic avian influenzas such as H7 and H9, the epidemic bird flu virus H5N1 (various clades), the current novel H1N1/2009 virus, seasonal influenza viruses, and their mutations.

The Company has previously reported that its anti-HIV drug candidate was >25X (or >2,500%) more effective than the oral HAART treatment, on a drug load basis. This study employed a standard SCID-hu Thy/Liv mouse model. Human lymphocytes implanted in a mouse, and infected with HIV, are treated with antiviral drugs in this model. It is very important to note that no adverse events were observed in the nanoviricide treated mice, while the HAART-treated mice exhibited clinical signs of side effects. HAART or “highly active anti-retroviral therapy” is a three-drug combination therapy currently in use in human clinical practice, and is regarded as the most effective therapeutic regimen against HIV. If these preliminary results are confirmed in further animal studies and in human clinical trials, the Company believes that HIVCide™ could very well result in a “Functional Cure” for HIV/AIDS.

The Company has reported significant progress in its topical nanoviricide eye drops program. This drug is designed to treat most viral infections of the external eye, including adenoviral epidemic kerato-conjunctivitis (EKC) and herpes keratitis.

The Company also recently reported that it has successfully added a new anti-HSV drug program to its pipeline this year. The Company‘s topical anti-herpes drug candidate has already demonstrated greater than 10,000-fold (>99.99%, or >4 logs) reduction in virus quantity in cell culture models of HSV-1 infection. Animal model studies of topical and genital herpes are planned.

“We are now well poised to further develop our drug candidates with the objective of filing an IND application as soon as possible,” said Dr. Eugene Seymour, MD, MPH, CEO of the Company.

SOURCE NanoViricides, Inc.

what stage or phase is cullens cure in? and the other hsv 1 cures are in

Research Chart

Hi all,

I'm new to posting here, but I have been reading this forum since being diagnosed earlier this year.

I recently came across another forum that has some information that I thought that I would share. I apologize if this has already been posted or if you are aware of it.

It is a chart of who is doing herpes research (but its from 2008).

http://www.racoon.com/herpes/chart/chart(10)%203-2008.pdf

Heres to hoping something will come out soon.

vironova-it doesn't say when they think there will be a cure any idea on that? and is it a cure..will be any use to us since it is in a diff country

cullen,bloom,and bavituximab are all cures correct?

Vironova is a pioneer within the development of so-cal- led maturation inhibitors, a type of antiviral drugs with broad-spectrum characteristics that render it difficult for viruses to develop resistance. Work to date has led to the identification of a patented model substance against all eight human herpes viruses.

The most important advances within operations have been that: (1) Vironova’s model substance VN-180 has been brought closer to clinical phase I and is now patented for use against all human herpes viruses and is pre-pared for pre-clinical testing.

I don't know if it's a cure, it sounds like it would kill alot of the virus or slow it down.

Dr. Cullen research is to cure HSV, Dr. Bloom is to inhibit the virus which shall prevent recurrence. Bavituximab sounds like it would be a cure, although they've not began any testing what-so-ever on HSV. It's showed to be useful with meaning viruses so they believe it could potentially be used for HSV.

Dr. Cullen is still testing HSV I believe. I'm not sure where in the process research time line he is. He's been requesting funds from NIH in the past but has been shot down. He'll be reapplying Feb. 2010. I really hope he gets approved this time.

As for know all of there research business, it's not always best to goto a Professor and tell them you wanna know everything about there research. It's there baby and they'll give information out when they feel it's necessary. That's not to say I wouldn't want to know more about Dr. Knipes Vaccine and Dr. Cullens cure. I'm thankful they'll correspond with me via email and will talk with me via phone. I'm hoping the new Dr. Bloom website will be updated a lot and in the near future read that he's received some of the $26M funding the University of Florida received.

No More Cold Sores? Scientists Find Cellular Process That Fights Herpes Virus

ScienceDaily (Mar. 24, 2009) — Scientists have discovered a new way for our immune system to combat the elusive virus responsible for cold sores: Type 1 herpes simplex (HSV-1). As reported in the advance online edition of Nature Immunology, a group of virus hunters from the Université de Montréal, in collaboration with American colleagues, have identified a cellular process that seeks out and fights herpes.

The five-year study, partially supported by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, was a joint project with Washington University and Pennsylvania State University.

"Once human cells are infected with Type 1 herpes simplex, the virus comes back because it hides and blocks protection from our immune system," says Luc English, the study's lead author and a doctoral student at the Université de Montréal's Department of Pathology and Cell Biology. "For the first time, our research team has identified a combative cellular mechanism in this game of hide-and-seek."

"We've found that the nuclear membrane of an infected cell can unmask Type 1 herpes simplex and stimulate the immune system to disintegrate the virus," says English.

The team made its discovery while conducting various tests in HSV-1 infected mice cells. They replicated environments when Type 1 herpes simplex thrives, namely periods of low-grade fever between 38.5 to 39 degrees, and found that herpes-fighting mechanisms were unleashed.

The research team now plans to study how activation of the herpes-combating cellular process could be applied to other illnesses. The outcome could hasten the development of therapies to prevent other immune-evading bacteria, parasites and viruses. "Our goal is to further study the molecules implicated in this mechanism to eventually develop therapies against diseases such as HIV or even cancer," says English.

According to Dr. Michel Desjardins, senior author and a professor in the Department of Pathology and Cell Biology at the Université de Montréal, treatment options might be imaginable in a decade.

"Now that we've identified the novel mechanism in cells that activate immune response to Type 1 herpes simplex, scientists are one step closer to creating new treatments that can activate the defence against this and other viruses," says Dr. Desjardins. "While it may not be possible to completely eradicate Type 1 herpes simplex in people who are already infected, at the very least, future therapies may be able to keep the virus in its dormant state."

This study was funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, the Fonds de la Recherche en Santé du Québec, the U.S. National Institutes of Health and the foundation Research to Prevent Blindness.

About Herpes

There are two types of herpes viruses: Type 1 herpes simplex causes facial cold sores and Type 2 causes genital herpes. Both types of herpes affect an estimated 80 million people in America alone and there is currently no cure for the condition

=======================================================

CCS would this mean it would be ten years for this to come out to the public..i hope not

i'm hopin for cullen and bloom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When do you think these companies will have these drugs available for people that have these viruses? I really hope that it's soon. I love to hear all about what they are up to it's interesting to hear the prospects. Also do you have to be on a waiting list once it comes out? Do they just send the meds to the drs and than you go to the dr to get it? It is so exciting to hear that progress is being made and I hope very soon it will be here:p