Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Anonymous

Liquid Bandage

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried a liquid bandage for their cold sores instead of just letting it scab over.

For me, the worst part of getting a cold sore (besides the leper-feeling) is the ugly scab that lasts for 2 weeks.

Liquid bandages work like scabs by keeping moisture in and germs out. Please let me know.

moisture=bad, oxygen=good keep the sore open and dry....blow dry it with a hair works

Possible Preventive Measure

I just posted information that a dermatologist used to help me with herpes on my finger. Im the author ThisGirlsDreaming, you might want to read the treatment that he used...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• adiebear
      AVIAF, first things first- your OB.
      I don't know what the doc said, but what works for me in teh event of an ob is to whack it with valtrex.
      Depending on the severity (my OBs have lessened)- if it's hectic, I'll take 2x500mg at once, 1 later and 1 more in the course of the first day.
      One three times daily the next day. Usually, however, 2 a day works for me. There sure are ointments. Anything from the pharmacy with Acyclovir. You'll have different brand names in your country, but Fenivir/ Fenistil is very effective. As to the isolation- you are not alone: - a good read! And you feel like an outcast mostly cos of the stigma generated by big pharma's marketing- see below (a bit out of date) How herpes got its stigma
      “It is easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been
      fooled.” – Mark Twain
      For anyone in the twenty first century it is hard to believe that there was a time when ‘herpes’ was not a stigmatised and feared condition. But this is true.
      Less than forty years ago genital herpes was largely ignored. Newly diagnosed patients were not made to feel that a common skin condition had just ended
      their chance of having future relationships. Doctors knew that they were simply dealing with the manifestation of the common facial cold sore
      on a different site and they treated it appropriately. In the early 1980s things changed. How and why did this happen?
      The history of the genital herpes stigma dates back a mere 30 years. Before then, the condition, which was first named by the Ancient Greeks, was well
      known to doctors – but it was not invested with the terror it commands today and the word herpes barely registered with the public.
      Two viruses are responsible for genital herpes and facial cold sores. They are called herpes simplex type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex type 2 (HSV- 2). Either virus may be caught in either place.  The start of modern sexual health services
      The modern era of sexual health treatment in the UK began in 1917, with the passing of the Venereal Disease Act as millions of soldiers who had been mobilised during the First World War returned home and began to infect their partners with the ‘social diseases’ they had acquired. This led to a public-health crisis that terrified the government of the day, so a network of publicly funded clinics was set up. The Venereal Diseases Act of 1917 named syphilis, gonorrhoea and soft
      chancre (or chancroid) as dangerous diseases for which free treatment was to become compulsory. Genital herpes did not get a look in. It was known to be a common and self-limiting and was rightly considered to be no more significant than a facial cold sore.
      Little changed in the intervening 60 years. Publichealth films were shown in cinemas to encourage fidelity and abstinence, and these films highlighted the horrors of syphilis and gonorrhoea while herpes was ignored. Indeed, genital herpes was so far below the radar that, as recently as 1975, the standard textbook for obstetric and gynaecological nursing did not even have the word herpes in the index. This omission would be unimaginable today.
      The role of antiviral drugs
      Meanwhile, antibiotics had succeeded in vanquishing previously feared bacterial infections like syphilis and gonorrhoea. Pharmaceutical research moved on to the next holy grail: antiviral drugs.
      Finally in the late 1970s, one company, Burroughs Wellcome, succeeded, but the drug it developed only had an impact on some viruses in the herpes family – mainly chickenpox and herpes simplex. At the time, these were not usually considered serious enough to require treatment at all in most cases and there was no pent-up demand for expensive new drugs. Almost everyone who caught these common infections recovered without treatment. So most patients were only offered
      palliatives. Herpes simplex may recur in a milder form before symptoms heal again. Chickenpox is a common childhood ailment that scarcely affects healthy children and causes no further problems unless it recurs as shingles, which mainly occurs in the elderly.
      So having developed aciclovir, the drug company required a return on investment. But its marketing men had a problem: none of the conditions the drug
      might be used for required treatment except in extreme cases.
      The herpes stigma is born
      The answer was to pitch the drug at genital herpes patients. The trick would be to persuade them that the condition was serious enough to warrant expensive drug treatment. A disease-awareness campaign was organised to alert doctors and patients to the benefits of the new drug. The case was made by ‘marketing’ genital herpes so that it acquired the status of an important disease.
      The strategy was spectacularly successful. Articles began to appear in newspapers. In the US, herpes became the cover story for Time magazine twice. Anything negative about the condition was highlighted in order to raise public concern. The masterstroke was to use the word ‘incurable’ to make genital cold sores seem serious. More than any other single thing, this created the stigma that has never gone away. Thrush, chickenpox and glandular fever are among a host of infections that stay in the body but most people would be pushed to name any apart from ‘herpes’.
      Disease-mongering had gone mainstream. The trick had been to market herpes, not aciclovir. Once herpes hit the big time, the success of aciclovir was assured. This echoed the marketing of the antiseptic mouthwash Listerine in the 1920s, which turned a floor cleaner into a cure for ‘chronic halitosis’. In the words of advertising scholar James B Twitchell, ‘Listerine did not make mouthwash as much as it made halitosis’. In America, Burroughs Wellcome sponsored support groups to advise ‘sufferers’ of the benefits of the new drug. In the UK, a charity emerged, the Herpes Viruses Association (HVA). It was oblivious to the fact that its appearance had been prompted by a drug-marketing campaign. A helpline was set up and was immediately besieged by newly distraught patients. One said, ‘I wish I had cancer, then at least people would feel sorry for me. As it is, I can’t even tell them what I’ve got.’ The HVA’s first director believed that if he spent two or three years setting the record straight, the charity could then be wound up. Thirty years later, it is still going strong and is needed more than ever.
      Genital herpes is now accepted as one of the most stigmatised of all medical conditions. A Harris Interactive poll in the US in 2007 found that 39 per cent of patients were troubled by social stigma and 38 per cent made up excuses to avoid sex during an outbreak, rather than tell a partner. Only HIV was ranked higher for stigma, a truly bizarre finding for an infection that is carried by at least three quarters of the population.
      Herpes: common and largely undiagnosed
      Herpes simplex is a largely hidden condition because most people get mild symptoms or none at all, so they are not diagnosed. Prevalence is high and one recent study of women between the ages of 35 and 44 found that 85 per cent have HSV-1 and 22 percent have HSV-2. The HVA divides its time between advising a relatively small number of people who experience recurrent symptoms and reassuring a much larger number about transmission. Symptoms
      can usually be treated or prevented once people know what to do about them.
      A more difficult task is explaining the origin of the stigma and the reasons why it is unnecessary. Marian Nicholson, the HVA’s director said, ‘Over and over again, callers to our helpline say, “I can deal with my symptoms, they don’t bother me, but I am terrified of passing this on to a new partner.”’ Sufferers fear rejection, although an HVA survey has shown that this usually doesn’t happen. The artificially created stigma has caused the problem that has given this charity its raison d’être. Genital herpes is now perceived as a social and sexual death sentence.
      The problem is that few sexual health experts believe that genital herpes has serious consequences. The British Association for Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH) has an expert group for herpes simplex. If herpes simplex is serious in any sense at all it is because of the stigma, not the condition itself. As a comparison, influenza is not generally considered to be serious, although it kills thousands of people every year in the UK so it is a far more serious problem than herpes. Over 90 percent of people with flu or herpes simplex do not have a serious condition. Those with severe symptoms deserve and usually get more support, but their experience is atypical.
      Thirty years on (slightly more now) from the great marketing campaign, the stigma remains and is now bolstered by jokes, internet chat rooms, dating services and purveyors of fake ‘cures’. Is there a dating service for ‘sufferers’ from facial cold sores? No. Why not? The lack of joined-up thinking is clearer than ever. A hundred years ago, the Royal Commission that led to the setting up of our sexual health services was clear when it named the three infections that required treating and contact tracing and recommended that legal compulsion be adopted to ensure that they were contained. Genital herpes was not among them for sound medical reasons. But back then, nobody had tried to fool people about it.
      Nigel Scott I know it's all cold comfort when you are on your own a long way from home, but this is a safe place with loads of support.
    • Tiredmom96
      Yes suppressive therapy can work wonders and works so much better taking it every day as opposed to taking it when you already have an OB.   You might find the side effects lessen over time.  
    • Tiredmom96
      I've had GHV2 for 20 years.  I suffered for about 8 years with very frequent outbreaks but always sacral outbreaks (have never had a true genital OB to my knowledge).   About 12 years ago I started taking 1 gram of Valtrex daily and it changed my life!  I went from 10 or more very painful OBs per year to getting maybe one every year or two and they were very minor. The last OB I had was in 2013 until last month.  I got a fairly bad one, probably the worst I've had while on Valtrex but still not as bad as before.  I was bummed but I had a good three year break from Obs so I wasn't too worried until now. I woke up this morning with another one in the exact same spot literally just one month from the last one!  I'm already taking Valtrex every day so I don't know what to do.  I'm scared this is going to be the start of getting these things every month again.  I cannot go back to that.  I just can't.  I'm in a new relationship now with someone who doesn't have it and scared I'll pass it on.  I know you can pass it without symptoms anyway but feel like I'm more contagious if I'm getting OBs again. Anyone else experience this?  What did you do?  Did switching to a different med help?  I'm on generic valycyclovir.  I've put a call into my Doctor to ask about options but he hasn't responded yet.
    • YammyTea
      Hello All! In my quest of acceptance of "all of me" I came across the thought of love again. After my initial diagnosis, I put it all the way in the back of my mind. For the benefit of women like me, I want to start a thread that included stories of love....happily ever to speak.  Please share. Thanks!
    • Learning2CopeAZ
      Thanks @BeWell&Win I had a culture done because of what turned out to be my 1st outbreak.  I then had the bloodtest last week, waiting on the results.   He told me last night that he figures he must have it because we've been together for 12 years and monogamous.  But he's still hesitant to have sex.  Maybe his next trip home, he said.  It's weird to go from being the one who needs support to the one who needs to support him.   It's brought us closer together, even though we aren't having sex.  Go figure! This site is so helpful and the support here is amazing!
    • agamemnus
      Yeah, I think so. I am really excited by Genocea's prospects but others are starting to show some better results than in the past as well.
    • LucyLevi
      Hi agamemus So its great news then... lots of potential options hurray! Lucy
    • AVIAF
      To save you from my long rant if you care not to read, here are my questions: 2 of my OB areas are swollen. One of my labia is about 2x the normal width just around the sore. (I can't go see my dr rn and they can't come to the phone) When does Valtrex start to work? I took my 1st one last night and my 2nd one this morning Are there any creams/ointments/ remedies anyone can recommend for healing and pain? So, I would like to preface this with a bit about myself: I'm in my 20s, recently moved to a new state and adjusting. I'm a very sex positive person and practice safe, responsible sex (not that anyone should think that someone with herpes isn't responsible by default). I have put in a lot of effort in getting to this point in my life where I am confident and happy with myself, inside and especially out. My sexuality is a big part of who I am and I think that as long as sex is between consenting, responsible adults and they aren't hurting anyone else and are doing it for their genuine enjoyment, it's a beautiful thing. Two Sundays ago I was talking to my fwb about STDs (we know the risks we take yada yada yada) and he stated how common herpes is, to which I responded, "Yea, but it's still my worst nightmare." 3 days later, I noticed my first symptoms. Peachy! Right as exams start and I'm experiencing homesickness (I think the stress brought about the OB). Emotionally: I'm feeling devalued. I work so hard in everything I do and put such a big amount of pressure on myself to be great at everything and now I feel like all these positive traits have been cancelled out by this dumb, common, painful and embarrassing condition. I didn't realize how much long-term monogamy appealed to me until I was confronted with the fear that I'll never find someone that I want, that also wants me- I can't remember the last time I felt so unappealing (probably when I was 13, chubby and severely depressed). In sum, I feel like shit. But it could always be worse! Physically: It's pretty freaking painful, at first I had flu-like symptoms but now I'm much better now. Although my OB areas are pretty swollen (I'm icing them as I type) and hurt more than they did yesterday. It hurt a lot when I peed initially but I took Bactrim thinking it was a UTI, and I think it may have been bc it doesn't hurt to pee anymore. I feel isolated- the only person I'd want to talk to about this is back home and I don't want to tell anyone else.
    • for ev4r
      I hope they get good results but dizzying think that even this far the day that anything on the market that is a total or functional cure
    • trance
      it all started about 2-3 years and my boyfriend at the time were at the point in our relationship where we were wanting children together. after a few weeks of unprotected sex I started to develop symptoms. i went to the hospital because i was in so much pain I couldn't walk or move. it was excruciating. ever since then I have became so depressed. me and him just broke up a few weeks ago and im afraid. i really am, i don't know what to do. i feel as if i am isolated from the rest of society, which i know i am not,  i haven't talked to anyone or do any research on what  i even have. i don't know much about it other then the medication is so expensive i had to quit taking it. i am afraid, i am depressed, and i am alone. i am so tired of keeping this bottled up and i just need to have someone who understands what i am feeling to talk to i guess.
  • Featured