World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
blondii24

Acyclovir vs. Valtrex

blondii24

Last thursday I went and got tested at a clinic and they visually diagnosed me with GHSV. Im still waiting on the test results but im not getting my hopes up. Im going to see my actual doctor today to see about taking Valtrex or Acyclovir for supressive therapy during the first year because I have read that it may lessen the frequency of OBs and that the first year is usually the worst...and obviously i want to deal with OBs as LITTLE as possible because they realllllly suck! ok so heres my questions: Is there a difference between the two drugs? is one more effective than the other? how much of a price difference is there between valtrex and acyclovir?

GntiNh

From what I have read they are the same thing, but it's how your body absorps it, ie Valtrex gets converted in the liver so you take less tablets per day than acyclovir.

Some people find acyclovir harder to take as it can upset your stomach more than valrtrex.

There have been more long term studies for acyclovir than valtrex as to figures for suppression.

The price seems to vary greatly depending upon where you live in the world. Also depends on whether you are buying the drugs or getting them through health cover.

blondii24

Thanks! The clinic that I went to gave me Acyclovir, i've been taking it for 6 days... so far no tummy trouble. I do have insurance but if Acyclovir is that much cheaper i'll probably stick to it.

JBnATL

Look to the left "Compare Medications"

That should give you all the information you are looking for in the difference in the two medicines.

And if you are in the U.S., Acyclovir is significantly cheaper than Valtrex. Walmart and many other stores carry it for $4 for a $90 day prescription.

Has your doctor spoken to you regarding suppressive medications? That is where you take some meds every day not just when you are having an outbreak. Some doctors say taking it every day can help prevent outbreaks.

Also look into Lysine, that helps prevent outbreaks too. Click on the link to the right "What is Lysine" to find out more.

Good luck!

JB

ntdc
That should give you all the information you are looking for in the difference in the two medicines.

And if you are in the U.S., Acyclovir is significantly cheaper than Valtrex. Walmart and many other stores carry it for $4 for a $90 day prescription.

I think you mean $4 for a 90 day not $90

i have found side fx of acyclovir is much more mild than valtrex or famvir

almost no side fx at all for me except a bit of dizzyness

blondii24

Update

So I just got home from the doctor. It went really well except for the fact that i cried hysterically the whole time...the poor man prollie thought i was a psychopath. He was sooo nice and understanding and didnt look at me like i was some kind of leper and told me that he had a LOT of patients with H and it was no big deal, he also told me he would help me find counselling or a support group if i wanted...however i dont think im quite ready for a group discussion about my STD. But nyway, he agreed that supressive therapy was a good idea and gave me a 12 month prescription for acyclovir...and zoloft lol. I am going to get a bloodtest in 4 weeks and re-evaluate the anti-depressant situation...So let the healing begin!!!

clover

blondii24,

Glad to hear that you had a good doctor experience. Lots of people on here had bad ones. Antidepressants, counseling, antivirals, this site and going to a support group have helped me. I honestly wish that I had gone to the support group sooner. It made me feel that I wasn't alone and that there are "normal" people out there with herpes.

Hope things get better for you. Good luck with everything!

pingu
I think you mean $4 for a 90 day not $90

i have found side fx of acyclovir is much more mild than valtrex or famvir

almost no side fx at all for me except a bit of dizzyness

I am visiting the US next year. Can I pick up that $4 acyclovir from Walmart without a prescription, as in "over the counter", or do I have to have a written prescription from a doctor? Sorry if the question sounds dumb but different countries have different rules.

thanks.

notsofast22
I am visiting the US next year. Can I pick up that $4 acyclovir from Walmart without a prescription, as in "over the counter", or do I have to have a written prescription from a doctor? Sorry if the question sounds dumb but different countries have different rules.

thanks.

Yeah your gonna need a prescription in written form you can't buy it over the counter. Its nice to know acyclovir is so cheap compared to valtrex because my new insurance wont be as good. Valtrex is better, but NOBODY knows what acyclovir is. Which is another plus. I have my Valtrex stored inside of a box inside of a box on the top shelf of my closet hidden behind everything. It would suck if my friends stumbled upon valtrex. Everyone has seen the commercials. Acyclovir is cheaper and more low key.

pingu

drat!

Yeah your gonna need a prescription in written form you can't buy it over the counter. Its nice to know acyclovir is so cheap compared to valtrex because my new insurance wont be as good. Valtrex is better, but NOBODY knows what acyclovir is. Which is another plus. I have my Valtrex stored inside of a box inside of a box on the top shelf of my closet hidden behind everything. It would suck if my friends stumbled upon valtrex. Everyone has seen the commercials. Acyclovir is cheaper and more low key.

:madd: Darn it! I thought I was going to be able to get some. Between all the stuff I buy for herpes and the stuff I buy for my hair (long story) I don't have money left in the bank. I wonder if I should start a thread about how to finance all the prescriptions, supplements, ointments, etc??? :hmpf: