World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Healing09

I really need your feedback. Please.

Guest Healing09

On October 12 I started having symptoms of the worse yeast infection that I had ever experienced. Due to work and everything, I did not get to the doctor until October 22 at which time my doctor did a swab test. From October 18th through the 22nd things got progressively worse, and I started having pain in my vagina and the paper cut feeling. It was the absolute worse paid I had ever felt in my life. I felt like I could not close my legs. My vagina was very red and swollen. I had discharge and small white bumps on the inside of my vagina. On October 29th (by this time no symptoms or pain), I got a call back from the doctor that my test was positive for genital herpes. I went back to the doctor on Nov 4th and requested a blood test. The results of the blood test came back 2 days later as Positve for IgG and Negative for IgM. Based on the results, my doctor said that it appeared that I have been carrying the disease for "some time." I was so frustrated. I was hoping that the blood test could help me determin where I got this from. I had not had sex since 2001 until April 2009 through July 2009 with my current boyfriend. I have received and given oral sex from April '09 through October '09, but have no cold sores or anything unusual. My boyfriend and I have not had intercourse since July 2009, but in addition to oral sex, we have had genital contact.

My question is could I have been carrying this disease around since 2001 or earlier without any symptoms? Or did I get it from my current boyfriend? Also, as of today, it feels like I am getting symptoms again - discharge and the tinggling. I just want to make sense of all of this.

phenomenalandloving

i thought antibodies in your igm test indicated a past infection. igg indicated recent infections?

hhasthehblues

Theoretically, it's the opposite, however it's inconsistent and can't be used to indicate when you were infected for sure.

phenomenalandloving

wait. so igm indicates recent? and igg indicates past?

please clarify in full sentence.

thank you.

totalregret

phen,

Check this out:

http://www.ashastd.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4182

, Sep 20, 2006 12:00AM

You're right, this has all been addressed several times. However, it's in many places and might be hard to dig out. So I appreciate the opportunity to put it all in one place.

In theory, the body produces immunoglobulin M (IgM) antibodies first, to a variety of infections, and immunoglobuin G (IgG) antibodies later. Over time, IgM antibodies tend to stop being produced entirely. Therefore, a test for IgM antibody to any particular infection may be positive before a test that detects IgG antibody. And in a person infected a long time previously, IgM antibody is absent but IgG persists.

That's the theory. In general, it holds up pretty well in young children, but sometimes not so well in adults. In adults with new HSV infection, IgM antibody against the virus doesn't actually get produced all that much faster than IgG antibody. And many people with longstanding HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection continue to produce IgM, especially when they have a new symptomatic outbreak. Thus, for HSV, IgM doesn't necessarily mean a new infection; and absence of IgM doesn't necessarily mean a longstanding infection.

On top of that, there are 2 other main problems with IgM testing for HSV. First, false positive tests are common--that is, apparent IgM antibody that simply isn't present at all, despite what the test says. This is NOT generally due to cross reaction with related viruses, i.e. HSV-1, varicella (herpes) zoster, and the like. It has to do mostly with the physical chemistry of the test.

Second, there are no type-specific IgM tests on the market--nary a one. Any true-positive IgM test for HSV is detecting antibody to HSV-1, HSV-2, or both, and can never distinguish between them.

Why do labs continue to offer such a lousy test? Several reasons there too, some reasonable, some not. Some providers still request the test; they were taught the theory, they assume it applies accurate to HSV, and don't understand the limitations of the test. (The pediatricians generally are right; IgM testing for HSV in fact remains useful in diagnosing neonatal herpes in newborns. Their immature immune systems don't crank out IgG so rapidly.) Also, some labs just keep offering the test out of habit, in the belief the providers want the test; while at the same time, the docs just assume that if the lab does the test, it must be worthwhile. (That is, a communication issue.) Also, there is simple profit motive for labs: IgM testing is very cheap but gets good pay-off from insurance companies, so the profit margin is high.

Bottom lines: Sometimes a new HSV infection in an adult indeed will be positive by IgM before IgG. But this is pretty infrequent, and it outweighed by the downsides: high risk of false positive result; and even when truly positive, there is no distinction between HSV-1 and HSV-2, which is pretty important to most patients and providers.