World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
dumplinsmom

Herpes on Tongue

dumplinsmom

Okay, so I have already been diagnosed with HSV2 but I'm still wondering if I have it orally also. Prior to learning of my diagnosis, I performed oral sex on my then boyfriend. Once I found out I had HSV2 I became really concerned, wondering if I had it orally also. I keep getting some shiny smooth spots on my tongue. It keeps coming back but it's not always in the same spot. From what I've read, oral herpes is kind of the same as the genital version, starts with a blister, and may ooze. These spots on my tongue do not hurt all. I did some research and believe that it may be geographical tongue but since I have HSV2 and performed oral on my boyfriend, I'm still a little concerned that it may be oral herpes. I met someone new and would really like to at least kiss him without disclosing that I have HSV but I'm soooo nervous. I just don't want to pass this on to anyone unknowingly. My question is, what are your oral herpes symptoms? Do you get them on your tongue and do my symptoms sound like they could be oral herpes?

Thanks for your help.

totalregret

i have oral and genital hsv 1. since my diagnosis i swear i have geographical tongue as well. i think it's just our bodies coping with the virus. but, i have often wondered the same thing. mine come and go and tend to move around. never a sore a blister. i had mine swabbed once and it came back neg for hsv. i don't know...

how often do yours come? my come every month!

i read that hsv 2 orally doesn't usually reoccur and doesn't shed much.

dumplinsmom

These spots come and go very frequently also and usually last for like a day. It seems like maybe every week for me. Once the spot dissapears, it comes back a short time later, sometimes in the same spot, sometimes somewhere else on my tongue. I've never had a blister or anything similiar to what I'm experiencing anywhere besides my tongue, nothing on my gums, lips, or around my mouth. Also, it's only the front part of my tongue, never has occurred further back by my throat. My doctor told me to come to his office and he'll swab them the next time. By the time I try to make it to my doctor's office to have one swabbed, it's always gone or nearly gone. Soooo frustrating. My doc says he doesn't believe it's herpes. It's soooo frustrating because I've met someone that I really like and would like to really get to know him before I tell him about my condition. I would at least like to be able to kiss him! He has tried to kiss me already and I just kind of turned my face away. I hope he doesn't think I'm not interested. :(

JBnATL

I would believe your doctor

over strangers you meet on a website.

Keep trying to see your doctor, and hopefully he will be able to do a swab. In the meantime take his advice that it is no herpes.

Good luck!

JB

dumplinsmom

I'm Really Pissed!

Okay, so I decided to go to Urgent Care to have the lesion on my tongue looked at. What a complete waste of money!!!! This doctor tells me it doesn't look like herpes but she couldn't tell me what it is. She said the "maybe" it's an ulcer. This doesn't explain why it keeps coming back. I told her that my regular doc told me to come back in to him when I noticed the spots again and he would culture them. The only reason I didn't go back to my regular doc is because by the time I make it in to see him, the lesion will be gone, it usually lasts for like a day, and there will be nothing to culture. She said that if she did a culture, since the Herpes antibodies are already in my system, it would come back positive regardless, so the culture would be a waste. She also suggested I read up more on Herpes. I told her I have but I just wanted to know whether I have it orally or not. Back to the drawing board. I guess I'll have to wait until it comes back and go in to see my regular doc because this Urgent Care doc was of NO help!!!