World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
blubyrd

high school dating

blubyrd

So, everyone knows that high school dating is awkward enough just as it is. Add in herpes though, and its a hell of a ride.

I was diagnosed last month, and I've been taking valtrex since the first sign of the ob (ooh and it was a nasty one! :dong:). But I've just started dating this really amazing guy, about 3 weeks ago, and we're now official. I havent told him yet that i have gh, and I just dont know when or how.

I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts... should I tell him right now even though I'm not planning on any intimacy for a while (we've kissed, but I told him we're going to take it slow)? Should I wait until we both decide to take it up a notch, or would that be cruel to not tell him until hes attached to me? Should I even tell him at all, or just break it off now (its not like we're going to get married or anything, we're 18 )?

I've come to terms with this, I know I'm still the same person I was before I was diagnosed, but its hard to deal with this while trying to grow up :(

Wishing Well

Hey,

Sucks you have to deal with this so young but i'm glad you've found this site as it really is a great resource. This is a really tough post and I think you should look at your situation and think how you will have to deal with relationships with anyone going forward. There is plenty of advice on how to tell people around but being your age and still at school you really need to trust the people you tell as from my days at school, kids are rough when it goes wrong.

I wouldn't leave the guy or tell him just yet but whatever you do you must tell him before you sleep with him or get active.

As bad as it sounds I think its okay to get to know the person, or hook them in, before you tell them. After all the more they see you more for who you are then the more likelyhood of success and you need to gauge if you can trust them. I just wouldn't keep the guy on a string for an extended period because you cant face up and tell him. I read a post where someone had kept someone close for 2 years or something before telling them which I thought was tragic.

Good luck and keep in touch around the site.

Cheers, Wish

Butterfly of the Moment

Hey there,

You tell him when you're comfortable. If a man is going to reject you for something that you have no control over, something that has nothing to do with your shining personality, then trust me, you don't want him anyways It makes sense to get to know someone well enough before you tell anyways. You will see how much he cares when you inform him that you have a skin virus. There's no time like the present though as you two are already a couple. Sit him down, be calm, and have all the facts so that you can answer his questions. Be positive. If he asks why you waited so long to tell him let him know that you wanted to be sure you can trust him and that you really care for him and that's why you are telling him about your status before you get intimate. Good luck.