World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Emerald

Wondering

Emerald

Just taking a moment to overcome this shyness and to say hello.

I have been encouraged to refer to the support forum many time in my ordering of supplies. I really don't care much for talking openly on web sites like this,(Don't be offended, I don't care for the blog or facebook site etc, either.) yet, I am a very open person, which isn't always a good thing for me. It's interesting to know that there are people out there who feel a need to open up as well. Sometimes, I feel weird, knowing that I can't really discuss my issue with family members. They really wouldn't understand. I really don't want to appear as if I'm being bothersome to family members, particularly my spouse, because I go through whatever it is that I go through. Recently, I was told that I was whining. So, I am mustering up a little courage to talk to others like myself who do understand.

I just want to say hello for now. I'll see what will become of this.

WarriorKing

The site is anonymous and there are hundreds of people that have similar experiences. So feel free to open up a little.

goodkid

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today is my Birthday and I got a Birthday greeting from this site. I haven't been on this site since I was first diagnosed. I found out that it's not a hard thing to live with. L-Lysine really helps with the outbreaks, esp if you take it twice a day but may be constipating. My outbreaks are very mild and last a few days. My life partner is very understanding. I actually forget I even have it except when I'm under a lot of stress and a small blister appears. So, its just a part of life now, no big deal. You can be a normal person and happy and today I'm enjoying my birthday!:birthday:

gotitsowhat

Herpes is not a big deal--for those who don't have it!

That is why people will say you are whining when you try to express how you feel; herpes outbreaks can be painful, and the herpes stigma is enough of a big deal to contend with for most of us. I once told a gynecologist who told me that "Herpes is not a big deal," "The main reason you are saying that is that YOU are not the one being diagnosed with it." To her credit, she smiled and agreed. Herpes is a big deal to those of us who have it, especially if we have been diagnosed recently and are coming to terms with it. Medically, it is usually nothing, sometimes it doesn't even have any symptoms at all and over time even those with symptoms have fewer and fewer outbreaks. And the social stigma is more about people wanting someone to feel superior to than it is about anything real--after all, MOST of the population of the world has some form of herpes. So medically, it is not a big deal and the social stigma is more about ignorance and social snobbery than anything else. But coming to terms with it has been hard for most of us. And it does help to talk about it. You are very welcome here. Please feel free to discuss it with us.

I've had hsvGH for about 15 years. Medically, it is not a big deal; I get an outbreak once or twice a year, typically. But it took me a long time to get my confidence back. Now I refuse to be cowed by the herpes stigma. I am ready to face the world again, after years of hiding and being depressed about this. I wish I had the years back I wasted feeling bad and afraid to face the world with this stupid little virus. Don't waste too much time worrying about how people will act when you tell them, just get on with your life. It's like a lot of other things we wish we did not have to deal with in our lives but we do; just keep on keeping on and tell people about it when you feel you have to (before sex, hopefully). Many people will accept it, especially if they care about you. Some people will not. If you are taking good care of yourself and feeling basically happy and confident, you will up your chances of acceptance.