World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
sunra

Negative results

sunra

Hi, everyone.

So I'll try to cut this down as short as possible:

I'm in a band that was recently on a month long tour. On the 6th of November, I woke up and noticed a circular red "whatever" on the edge of the glans of my penis. I didn't pay much attention to it as it didn't really look "hostile" or anything.

For the sake of clarity, let's just call it a bump. There was no sensation in it at all, no pain or tingling or other tell-tale signs. Since I was out of state, it was hard for me to find an appointment with my healthcare provider, but I finally made it in to the doctor's office on the 16th, 10 days after I noticed the bump.

The doctor, to say the least, was not empathetic, sympathetic, or any kind of "etic." He looked at it, told me it was herpes and left. Distraught, I had to go about my business, but I did not quite buy into his diagnosis.

The last person I was with was my girlfriend, whom I am still with. The last time we had oral/intercourse was 3-4weeks prior to the first sighting of the bump. This is just for the sake of timeframe.

So fast forward a couple days, I see another doctor. The bump is still painless, tingleless and looks exactly the same. This doctor takes a swab of the bump, and runs some tests for syphilis, etc.

Yesterday I get a call, and all results are negative. The bump is still present, still no sensation whatsoever.

I realize there is a chance of false-negatives, so where do I go from here?

thank you..

sunra

Also, some more facts:

The bump has been visible for 18 days now.

The second doctor was definitely NOT sure what it was.

It was a DIY tour, meaning limited showers, and wearing tight pants/underwear everyday for about 20 hours a day.

The bump doesn't bear any resemblance to extreme herpes, and barely any to mild herpes.

Butterfly of the Moment

The next step for you would be to get a blood test. If this is a recent infection though, I may consider waiting a couple months before you do so b/c you will likely get a false negative if you test too early. Actually, you should have your girlfriend get a blood test and see what her results are.

hhasthehblues

doubtful

Herpes lesions don't hang around for 18 days...

sunra

yeah.. i'd say the only "standard" symptom of herpes i have is that there is a bump/whatever.

i had molloscum contagiousum before, but the doctor tested for that and it came back negative.

could i have some sort of blocked pore or something?

catiesmom

I'm sure you could. You could also have HPV and be presenting warts. You could have a zit there that hasn't popped. You could have some soap buildup that's causing irritation in your skin.

You could have about a million things. I'd suggest, as butterfly did, that you get tested. It's the only way you'll know for sure. It's too late to test the bump itself if it is herpes, but you can get a blood test which will shed some light. If it ends up negative, get another one in a month or so, and in the mean time consider seeing a dermatologist (and ditch that first doctor completely! What an ass!).

Good luck!

sunra

So in the meantime should I just abstain from sex completely? Would a condom be considered a pretty safe bet if there was no oral?

catiesmom

Kinda depends. Does your girlfriend know what's going on? Were you with anyone else who might have given this to you (or are you considering sex with someone else)?

If it's just your gf and she knows what's going on, then yes, condoms would be a good bet. If you turn up positive, that's what you'll be doing anyway, right? Just make sure to use good hygiene practices after touching yourself and you should be fine, but make sure she knows what's going on for the random chance you do pass whatever it is.

sunra

Shes aware whats going on. The fact that none of the symptoms really add up and that the tests were negative has put us at ease, but I have told her there is a chance of false-negatives.

gotitsowhat

Are you aware

that "a full panel of STD tests" doesn't include herpes?

You mentioned syphillis as part of the test results and that made me think that the doctor may have ordered "a full panel of STD tests" and did not mention that it did not include herpes (either because the doctor doesn't know that these tests do not include herpes or because the doctor wanted to avoid being the one to give you the diagnosis).

If you have another outbreak, get a swab test done on it right away. And get the blood test now and again in three months, same for the girlfriend. That should nail it. Herpes can look like many different things but proper testing will clarify things. Good luck.