Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lotstobegratefulfor

symptoms persisting for several weeks even on Valtrex?

6 posts in this topic

Starting about 6 months after my initial outbreak, which was quite mild, I have been suffering from almost constant symptoms of tingling, redness and burning sensations for about 6 weeks now. The symptoms will subside for at most a day and then return again. I've been on suppressive therapy for these past 6 six weeks, with seemingly no affect. Is this normal? My Dr. doesn't seem to know what to do with me. It's really discouraging because I'm really concerned about transmission. Has anyone had symptoms endure this long?

You have had a rough time. Have you thought to trying Acyclovir instead of Valtrex? Some members have had more success with it.

Maybe try things to strengthen your immune system. See Immune System Tips on the right side of this page. Taking Lysine can help with symptoms too. It sounds like your body just isn't getting a handle on the virus. It will get better with time, but try to eat right, get plenty of sleep and reduce stress, if you can. Good luck!

Isn't Acyclovir essentially the same as Valtrex?

Thanks for the support. This is surprising, especially since I went for 6 months without any symptoms. I'm in excellent health and I've been on vacation for the last couple of weeks, sleeping a lot and eating well. I will try lysine (though I've read that studies don't support its effectiveness). Isn't acyclovir essentially the same as valtrex? Is it possible I have a drug-resistant strain of the virus?

I don't know the actual medical difference between the two, but some members have posted that they have had more or less success with either or, if that makes sense lol.

Some people have had side effects with one and not with the other. Some people can't get both anti-virals, or can only afford one.

had that before

Hi,

I'm having that same problem. The OB will kind of leave and they will appear again. It is very irritable. I'm gona try to boost my mune system up. If that don't seem to work than I'm going to the doctor.

Couragous

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Pie71
      Its free to wink at others but costs to message, like PS.  I agree that PS sucks, but it seems to be the best option we have outside of maybe OKCupid and looking at the questions people answer for the one "would you date someone with HSV2?"  Not a lot of people actually answer it, but I do see a few yes's once in a while.
    • Rsrch
      Excision biotheraputics is looking into nanoparticles for delivery that are capible of passing the blood brain barrier. Depending on the nanoparticles they are using, there may be no immune response.
    • Luvtwinkie
      I went overseas for about a year, during one of my trips we went to a village and had food with the locals. During the meal one of the elders passed around a drink in a bowl, I was the third one to take a sip, but before I did I did hesitate alittle because I thought it was unsanitary to be sharing a drink like this. Regardless I did take a sip out of the bowl, which I regret deeply. After the incident I did get body aches and sore throat(I checked my throats and I never seen any sores)but other then that I never got a cold sore. Idk if I got body aches/sore throat because I've been traveling, I'm prone to getting sick . Also I can't remember if anyone had a sore on their mouths because the place was dimly lit. It's been a year since that incident and I still haven't had any outbreak but it still gives me anxiety. I read extensively about getting hsv-1 through a cup and it's been 50-50. So my question is anyone here that received their FIRST cold sore after drinking after someone? P.s sorry for any grammatical mistake, i typed this question on my phone
    • finding my way
      Hi.   Just a follow-up. Thank you for the information.  It is very appreciated, and helped out immensely. I sat her down and just came out with the info.  It was so hard to do, but I told her the circumstances of my infection, how long I had it, that she was at risk even if I didn't have symptoms, and that all I wanted in the wold was to keep her safe.   I told her that I would start taking anti-viral medication right away - and she asked me not to do it.    I assured her that I would and had no problem doing so, and she again said no, and told me not to waste the time and money, or risk possible side effects. She told me that nobody is perfect, and she accepts and loves me as I am, and if I know my body enough, I will keep her as safe as she needs to be kept. She asked "The medication you would be taking would be Valtrex, right"?   I said yes, and she said "I have that at home.  I take it for my oral outbreaks.  If you need any, let me know". We had amazing sex after. Something in the back of my mind tells me she might be HSV positive genitally already, and was embarrassed to have not told me, because my condition and her safety seemed of no concern to her.   She told me she appreciated my bravery and honesty, and she knew it was very difficult for me to tell her. Thanks again.   I'll be back if there is any more info I can share. Finding My Way.
    • Clunk
      Hahahahaha! Positive Singles sucks ass!! It's bad enough having herpes but to make you pay money to get in contact with others is a sick joke!! It makes me so mad they hock their site as a "support site!!" No it isn't! It's purely for dating (And from what a few women I chatted to on there told me; It's full of sleazy old guys messaging women waaaay younger than them and guys that think they can get laid cause chicks on there have the "same thing" they do). JB is correct! Positive Singles hate people telling others about other herpes support sites. God!! How dare you!! They don't give a shit about helping or supporting you through a tough time.... They just want your money!
    • Lj2099
      Thanks for your input...
    • JBnATL
      How long have you had this virus?  Until you immune system builds up antibodies you can have multiple outbreaks. If you already had it, receiving oral sex probably would not have given you the 2nd type. JB
    • JBnATL
      Yes, I have been on this website almost daily for over 7 years and have chatted with thousands of Herpsters and have met some that were originally diagnosed as having this virus only later to learn that they did not.  Here is a link to a page that talks about what is commonly confused with this virus: http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/conditions_confused_with_herpes.htm Also, even if your blood test does come back positive it could be a false positive.  Most tests say that a number > 1.2 means your positive, but many experts say that if your number is between 1.3 and 3.5 it might be a false positive and that you should test again. Even if you are a Herpster you will be ok.  Some people I have chatted with have even said that getting genital herpes changed their lives for the better.  I have had it a long time and it has never stopped me from doing anything or anyone I wanted Good luck! JB
    • Lj2099
      I'm waiting for my blood and smear testes to come back.  My doctor is a very well experience lady. She been in practice for over 30 years in a big hospital. I feel if she though that what I have might be herpes there is a big percentage it might be. She also said it could be some kind if ezcema. Of course we all filter the worst part scenario. Has anyone been told it might be herpes and it wasn't. Just curious.
    • LillianPanos
      Ok got it
  • Featured