Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lotstobegratefulfor

symptoms persisting for several weeks even on Valtrex?

6 posts in this topic

Starting about 6 months after my initial outbreak, which was quite mild, I have been suffering from almost constant symptoms of tingling, redness and burning sensations for about 6 weeks now. The symptoms will subside for at most a day and then return again. I've been on suppressive therapy for these past 6 six weeks, with seemingly no affect. Is this normal? My Dr. doesn't seem to know what to do with me. It's really discouraging because I'm really concerned about transmission. Has anyone had symptoms endure this long?

You have had a rough time. Have you thought to trying Acyclovir instead of Valtrex? Some members have had more success with it.

Maybe try things to strengthen your immune system. See Immune System Tips on the right side of this page. Taking Lysine can help with symptoms too. It sounds like your body just isn't getting a handle on the virus. It will get better with time, but try to eat right, get plenty of sleep and reduce stress, if you can. Good luck!

Isn't Acyclovir essentially the same as Valtrex?

Thanks for the support. This is surprising, especially since I went for 6 months without any symptoms. I'm in excellent health and I've been on vacation for the last couple of weeks, sleeping a lot and eating well. I will try lysine (though I've read that studies don't support its effectiveness). Isn't acyclovir essentially the same as valtrex? Is it possible I have a drug-resistant strain of the virus?

I don't know the actual medical difference between the two, but some members have posted that they have had more or less success with either or, if that makes sense lol.

Some people have had side effects with one and not with the other. Some people can't get both anti-virals, or can only afford one.

had that before

Hi,

I'm having that same problem. The OB will kind of leave and they will appear again. It is very irritable. I'm gona try to boost my mune system up. If that don't seem to work than I'm going to the doctor.

Couragous

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• LillianPanos
      My Igg results for HSV 1 were >5.0  H (H meaning high) I dont understand yours:     IgG < 1:230 What were you tested for HSV 1 or 2...What was the range?  
    • WilsoInAus
      It is the other way around: IgG is the long term antibody and permanent for life (mostly) whereas IgM is short term (but can appear at times throughout your life as well). This the best interpretations are as follows: positive swab but negative IgG, IgM result irrelevant may be positive or negative... recent infection negative IgG, IgM result irrelevant may be positive or negative followed weeks later by a positive IgG... recent infection positive IgG, IgM irrelevant maybe positive or negative... most likely a longer term infection
    • WilsoInAus
      If there were multiple sores on 9 July and this is unlike anything you have had before, then there is little doubt that you were infected most likely on 2 July or a couple of days before that. March is simply too long prior to 9 July for that to be a realistic possibility. Now think back, was there oral sex involved on 2 July or the few days prior? If so, you will need to check that your swab was properly typed. Most cultures are not typed and just assumed to be HSV-2. Oral sex can result in the transmission of a partner's oral HSV-1 (cold sore) infection to your genitals. Does your partner have oral cold sores?
    • WilsoInAus
      It is a shame the culprit has not been identified, your doctor was pretty thorough in testing for micoplasma of which there are numerous that can cause these symptoms. The ongoing treatment of antibiotics is also therefore leaning toward this not being bacterial. Now the complicated part, is HSV-1 at play here? Now the complication is that the odds of having HSV-1 orally already from childhood exceed (by a factor of hundreds) the chances of experiencing just an outbreak of herpes inside your urethra from oral sex (as opposed to on your shaft for example). Hence the conclusion you need to reach just at this time is that you have had an oral HSV-1 for most of your life and do not recall any cold sores. If either of your parents have oral cold sores, your odds of having it given this information are nearing 100%. The added implication of this conclusion is that you, especially as a male, are immune from a genital HSV-1 infection! Thus the odds really remain strongly with another cause. It may be time to look more closely at kidney, bladder or prostate issues.
    • cantdoit
      All this constant talk about research. Give us something already 
    • Hsv2_help
      I understand it's just crazy...I came clean and neither of them want me anymore like I am damaged goods. They both act like it's all my fault. And everything I read about it it either says that you have an outbreak 2 to 20 days after exposure or that it lays dormant and then you have an outbreak... I read the stress. And all this other stuff can cause you to have an outbreak. But I had a baby in July 2015 and my son's father was my only sexual contact for about 1.5 years. If one of them didn't give it to me then I don't understand why the stress of being pregnant being a single mom and having so many other life crisis not cause an outbreak until now.... I have really bad anxiety and I was taking medication for it and stress and all these issues that worried me why did not have an outbreak until now....just upset  
    • Beachguy
      Thank you for sharing.
    • cantdoit
    • Lisajd
      I dont know who gave it to me. My suspect says hes clean.  At the end of the day you cant change whats happened.  If the ex gets no symptoms he may believe hes clean.  You need to just focus on trying to accept it now. Its hard at first but in time it gets easier for most.  
    • Lisajd
      How long has it been since the infection and blood tests.  Usually it takes 12 weeks. Someone else will tell you re your igg.  
  • Featured