Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lotstobegratefulfor

symptoms persisting for several weeks even on Valtrex?

6 posts in this topic

Starting about 6 months after my initial outbreak, which was quite mild, I have been suffering from almost constant symptoms of tingling, redness and burning sensations for about 6 weeks now. The symptoms will subside for at most a day and then return again. I've been on suppressive therapy for these past 6 six weeks, with seemingly no affect. Is this normal? My Dr. doesn't seem to know what to do with me. It's really discouraging because I'm really concerned about transmission. Has anyone had symptoms endure this long?

You have had a rough time. Have you thought to trying Acyclovir instead of Valtrex? Some members have had more success with it.

Maybe try things to strengthen your immune system. See Immune System Tips on the right side of this page. Taking Lysine can help with symptoms too. It sounds like your body just isn't getting a handle on the virus. It will get better with time, but try to eat right, get plenty of sleep and reduce stress, if you can. Good luck!

Isn't Acyclovir essentially the same as Valtrex?

Thanks for the support. This is surprising, especially since I went for 6 months without any symptoms. I'm in excellent health and I've been on vacation for the last couple of weeks, sleeping a lot and eating well. I will try lysine (though I've read that studies don't support its effectiveness). Isn't acyclovir essentially the same as valtrex? Is it possible I have a drug-resistant strain of the virus?

I don't know the actual medical difference between the two, but some members have posted that they have had more or less success with either or, if that makes sense lol.

Some people have had side effects with one and not with the other. Some people can't get both anti-virals, or can only afford one.

had that before

Hi,

I'm having that same problem. The OB will kind of leave and they will appear again. It is very irritable. I'm gona try to boost my mune system up. If that don't seem to work than I'm going to the doctor.

Couragous

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Sanguine108
      Viral infections, which preoccupy the host's defenses/immune system, typically make people vulnerable to opportunistic pathogens like bacterial, fungal and/or yeast.   You could say that your body is prioritizing the production of antibodies for GH.     I'm not going to dispute whether you have hsv or not but there is something you can do. There's an herbal wash that'd be very helpful called Yin Care.   Long story short, it's nearly for all vaginal issues.  Especially those related to yeast, bacterial, fungal, or viral infections. https://www.amazon.com/Arbor-International-Herbal-3-4oz-100ml/dp/B0009Y2EVK A fungal rash on your groin?   Does the rash follow a line down the inner thigh?   When you say fungal rash, what makes you say fungal?
    • VVK
      It's a lot of eyeballing the math because ultimately nobody has adequately studied oral-to-genital HSV-1 transmission rates. Only 30% of the population is susceptible (HSV-1 individuals don't count) and a smaller fraction of that group actually receives oral sex based on their demographics. It's not correct to use HSV-2 transmission rates from male-to-female or vice versa because the mechanics of the act of oral sex are different. There's no condom involved in oral sex (unless you count the minority that use dental dams). There's much more repeated exposure of a vulnerable skin surface (the vulva or penis glans) to a potentially infectious surface (lips and to a much lesser extent the insides of the mouth). I'd love to crunch more numbers but we're getting off-topic so maybe something to do in a different thread - I'll move our posts a bit later.
    • VVK
      More than 70% of people are HSV-1 positive and about 40% HSV-2 positive, many don't even know and live their lives without taking Valtrex. If you think about that - how many billions of people are affected by this virus - you will eventually understand that it's not the end of the world either way.
    • VVK
      Less sugary foods and drinks. More dairy if you can tolerate it and fish. Less tree nuts.
    • VVK
      While the skin surface is more or less healed, under there are nerves that heal a bit slower - that's likely what you're feeling with the itching/tickling. It's referred to as post-herpetic neuralgia. It happens often enough that I'd say it is normal. There are a few things to try to relieve it. The simplest one is to massage coconut oil into the general area. Other members may have other suggestions like oil of oregano (diluted) that have worked for them.
    • crookbristi
      Hi Everyone, looking for some thoughts.  I was visually diagnosed with a 'mild' case of herpes (is there such a thing as mild?) on 7/25. I am currently waiting on blood tests for a definitive diagnosis.  A month ago I had three little pimple like bumps on my labia that went away quickly so I didn't think of it. Now I have one lesion that's been there just over a week and almost healed.  I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary before these bumps appeared.  Maybe some excess discharge and itching but I attributed it all due to working out and the heat of the summer mixing with my body.  I'm wondering if anyone would mind sharing some of their other symptoms before an OB?  Obviously itching, burning on the genitals is an indicator but I'm wondering more specifically about back/leg aches.  I've been noticing more significant pain at almost the base of my spine (tail bone area I guess.  Right above my butt). Anyone else experience pain there?  It's not unbearable as I've experienced pain there for several years, especially right before I get my period.  I realize everyone's OB's are a little different, yet similar but any thoughts are appreciated! Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum! 
    • Lucy0528
      Perhaps dumb question but how should you watch your diet? I'm newly diagnosed so am gathering information on what to do/not to do.  Thanks! 
    • Lilibet
      Hi there, wondered if anyone had had any experience of this. im on day 16 of my first OB of ghsv1. I've had my aciclovir course, am taking 3000g lysine daily still. From what I can see all sores have healed (perhaps some residual internal) and it's starting to look normal but for the last two days I had had the most insane itching/tickling sensations (in the vagina and bottom)    has as anyone else had this? Is this 'normal'? I'm concerned it's the start of a new outbreak but I don't feel the last has properly gone!
    • Franticheart
      Has anyone that has been diagnosed with GH noticed an increase in fungal/yeast infections down below since getting the virus?  I am sure that I have it, even tho the blood tests say negative, and ever since I have had an almost constant fungal rash in my groin that keeps coming back.  I never had a single one before! Coincidence? I don't know.
    • nervouswreck
      I had no flu-like symptoms. I just used the Monistat 1 and began burning and blistering. Im hoping its a chemical burn. When I initially went to the doctor she did not mention herpes at all . she gave me the cream and the difilcuan and that was it, but I went back after 2 days and the other doctor gave me Valtrex . I don't even look at the pill bottle because I cant imagine taking this for the rest of my life. Ive been praying so hard. Ive been going on the website were I can view my test results to see if they are uploaded yet. I had NONE of this until I used that stupid Monistat 1. Im not having any scabbing no crusting over . It literally looks like the skin just burned off of me. Im so trying to keep it together. Please pray for me ! When I went back to the doctor for the second time, I told him that I had all of this from my initial visit and why didn't she test me then? He said "well because its doesn't necessarily look like and outbreak , its kinda like hmmm what is it" .. Im freaking out. Im not myself I cant think straight. It really is the end of the world for me if it comes back positive I know ppl say its not. But it truly is for me . Again the yeast infection was confirmed by the doctor , and my sheet also says acute vaginitis. she said I had a lot of yeast . PLEASE PRAY FOR ME . PLEASE THIS HAS BEEN THE HARDEST WEEK OF MY LIFE . PLEASE
  • Featured