Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ronsmith

Can your cold sore become genital herpes?

5 posts in this topic

Is there anyway that your cold sore outbreak can become genital herpes (like if you touched your cold sore and then touched your penis).

Also more importantly, HOW LIKELY is this to happen?

I've tried to not touch the sore and then other parts of my body, but I can't be 100% sure that I never touched the cold sore and then my genitals so I'm worried about my HSV1 becoming HSV2.

Thanks for the answers

HSV1 cannot become HSV2. You can have genital HSV1. If you have had the virus for a while, like a year, the chances of you transferring it from your mouth to your genitals is very small. That being said, if you are having an OB, it is still not good practice to touch your face and then touch your genitals.

I'm not sure how accurate his reply is.

My Dr did tell me that if someone with a cold sore were to perform oral sex on a partner they could develop genital herpes?

But most likely since you have cold sores your body is already immune to developing genital herpes from the same virus you already have, know what I mean?

yes, your cold sore can become genital herpes but the type does not change. so if the cold sore is hsv 1 then the genital herpes would be hsv 1 as well.

but, if u have had the virus for awhile it provides significant protection against getting the same virus in another location.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• brookeb300
      Thank you for all of the support.  I really really really appreciate someone talking to me about it.  Everyone else wants to kind of avoid the topic and try to act like its not a big deal but they don't know how hard it is to actually go through it.  It's just good to hear from people who know how hard it really is.  I was depressed before I got it, and now I look back at how stupid I was and how easy my life was.  I was just in such a bad mental state when it happened to me that its really tough now to get it together.
    • SheGirl
      Thanks.  I had used it without anything and thought I was going to die from the pain!  Then I used it with coconut oil.  Thanks again.  
    • Clearme
      Arm yourself with accurate information first! This can be done by reading articles that are Peer Reviewed by notable Scientist. There is a lot of highly scientific and often confusing terms used in these publications but once you start to digest it all you will see factually there are some brilliant minds working on this. I referenced an article titled " Adeno-associated Virus Vectors Efficiently Transduce Mouse and Rabbit Sensory Neurons Coinfected with Herpes Simplex Virus 1 following Peripheral Inoculation"  which was accepted June 22, 2016 (very recent) which Dr. Bloom is cited in and I believe will be revolutionary. This info. contrary to what some say on here is not on the Duke site as of yet but is very important. Trials have risks and minimizing those risks is critical, therefore Dr. Bloom has discovered a way to access  90% of your infected DRG neurons via your skin and not through a spinal (more risky) injection. There was a young man who died in 1999 from a very invasive hepatic gene therapy surgery that set gene therapy back to this date and it was not related to a reaction from the rAAV they believe. I believe this is a brilliant method that might just pave the way for a successful trial start. Imagine a doctor sat you down and said we can apply this rAAV vector to a lesion or abraded skin and achieve the permanent suppression of 90% of the hsv in this innervated area of infected DRG or we can schedule you for an very invasive spinal injection with the potential for more complications and still achieve only 90%. Hopefully if the remaining 10% produce an outbreak in a different innervated area then another application rAAV may be applied and travel retrograde back up to the site of infected cells and eventually control 100% of all the infected cells. This approach is speculation on my part and hopefully will be revealed in the trial / study if they make it that far! ABSTRACT Following infection of epithelial tissues, herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) virions travel via axonal transport to sensory ganglia and establish a lifelong latent infection within neurons. Recent studies have revealed that, following intraganglionic or intrathecal injection, recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) vectors can also infect sensory neurons and are capable of stable, long-term transgene expression. We sought to determine if application of rAAV to peripheral nerve termini at the epithelial surface would allow rAAV to traffic to sensory ganglia in a manner similar to that seen with HSV. We hypothesized that footpad or ocular inoculation with rAAV8 would result in transduction of dorsal root ganglia (DRG) or trigeminal ganglia (TG), respectively. To test this, we inoculated the footpads of mice with various amounts of rAAV as well as rAAV capsid mutants. We demonstrated that this method of inoculation can achieve a transduction rate of >90% of the sensory neurons in the DRG that innervate the footpad. Similarly, we showed that corneal inoculation with rAAV vectors in the rabbit efficiently transduced >70% of the TG neurons in the optic tract. Finally, we demonstrated that coinfection of mouse footpads or rabbit eyes with rAAV vectors and HSV-1 resulted in colocalization in nearly all of the HSV-1-positive neurons. These results suggest that rAAV is a useful tool for the study of HSV-1 infection and may provide a means to deliver therapeutic cargos for the treatment of HSV infections or of dysfunctions of sensory ganglia. IMPORTANCE Adeno-associated virus (AAV) has been shown to transduce dorsal root ganglion sensory neurons following direct intraganglionic sciatic nerve injection and intraperitoneal and intravenous injection as well as intrathecal injection. We sought to determine if rAAV vectors would be delivered to the same sensory neurons that herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) infects when applied peripherally at an epithelial surface that had been treated to expose the underlying sensory nerve termini. For this study, we chose two well-established HSV-1 infection models: mouse footpad infection and rabbit ocular infection. The results presented here provide the first description of AAV vectors transducing neurons following delivery at the skin/epithelium/eye. The ability of AAV to cotransduce HSV-1-infected neurons in both the mouse and the rabbit provides an opportunity to experimentally explore and disrupt host and viral proteins that are integral to the establishment of HSV-1 latency, to the maintenance of latency, and to reactivation from latency in vivo.
    • Prettypony
      I did feel like I "had it on me" alot of the times. Or I should say all the time. I felt like I was a walking disease.  But I do not feel like that anymore, and do look at it differently. My BF has been nothing but supportive, and this site has helped me a lot.  I do feel empowered now,  and I know that this does not define me or control me. I am me and I am still loved, and can still live, and love with no boundaries. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to be told something you know is the truth. Try to stay positive, things will turn around for you.  
    • Prettypony
      Oh and just a warning. The oil of or mix with apple cidar vinegar burns like heck on sores!! Like eye watery, horrible stinging, but only for a minute then it soothes, and also takes away any itching. On intact skin, it's only a mild sting, totally bearable.
    • Prettypony
      I cleanse with an apple cidar vinegar and oil of oregano mixture, after sex, and twice a day (morning and night). I also use a moisturizer with a couple drops of oil of oregano in it after I shave (down below). As a preventative. I think the supplements helped reduce the length of time I had my outbreak and decreased the severity of symptoms. I did have two stubborn sores on my inner labia that took forever to heal but they never ulcered, itched, or were painful. I haven't had a second outbreak yet, fingers crossed.  
    • Clearme
      Arm yourself with accurate information first! This can be done by reading articles that are Peer Reviewed by notable scientist. There is a lot of highly scientific and often confusing terms used in these publications but once you start to digest it all you will see factually there are some brilliant minds working on this. I referenced an article titled " Adeno-associated Virus Vectors Efficiently Transduce Mouse and Rabbit Sensory Neurons Coinfected with Herpes Simplex Virus 1 following Peripheral Inoculation" which Dr. Bloom is cited in and I believe will be revolutionary. This info. contrary to what some say on here is not on the Duke site as of yet but is very important. Trials have risks and minimizing those risks is critical, therefore Dr. Bloom has discovered a way to access  90% of your infected neurons via your skin and not through a spinal (more risky) injection. I believe this is a brilliant method that might just pave the way for a successful trial start. Imagine a doctor sat you down and said we can apply this rAAV vector to a lesion or abraded skin and achieve the permanent suppression of 90% of the hsv in your DRG or we can schedule you for an spinal injection with the potential for more complications and still achieve only 90%. Hopefully if the remaining 10% produce an outbreak another application rAAV may be applied and travel retrograde back up to the site of infected cells and eventually control 100% of the infected cells. This is speculation on my part and hopefully will be revealed in the trials if it makes it that far! ABSTRACT Following infection of epithelial tissues, herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) virions travel via axonal transport to sensory ganglia and establish a lifelong latent infection within neurons. Recent studies have revealed that, following intraganglionic or intrathecal injection, recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) vectors can also infect sensory neurons and are capable of stable, long-term transgene expression. We sought to determine if application of rAAV to peripheral nerve termini at the epithelial surface would allow rAAV to traffic to sensory ganglia in a manner similar to that seen with HSV. We hypothesized that footpad or ocular inoculation with rAAV8 would result in transduction of dorsal root ganglia (DRG) or trigeminal ganglia (TG), respectively. To test this, we inoculated the footpads of mice with various amounts of rAAV as well as rAAV capsid mutants. We demonstrated that this method of inoculation can achieve a transduction rate of >90% of the sensory neurons in the DRG that innervate the footpad. Similarly, we showed that corneal inoculation with rAAV vectors in the rabbit efficiently transduced >70% of the TG neurons in the optic tract. Finally, we demonstrated that coinfection of mouse footpads or rabbit eyes with rAAV vectors and HSV-1 resulted in colocalization in nearly all of the HSV-1-positive neurons. These results suggest that rAAV is a useful tool for the study of HSV-1 infection and may provide a means to deliver therapeutic cargos for the treatment of HSV infections or of dysfunctions of sensory ganglia. IMPORTANCE Adeno-associated virus (AAV) has been shown to transduce dorsal root ganglion sensory neurons following direct intraganglionic sciatic nerve injection and intraperitoneal and intravenous injection as well as intrathecal injection. We sought to determine if rAAV vectors would be delivered to the same sensory neurons that herpes simplex virus (HSV-1) infects when applied peripherally at an epithelial surface that had been treated to expose the underlying sensory nerve termini. For this study, we chose two well-established HSV-1 infection models: mouse footpad infection and rabbit ocular infection. The results presented here provide the first description of AAV vectors transducing neurons following delivery at the skin/epithelium/eye. The ability of AAV to cotransduce HSV-1-infected neurons in both the mouse and the rabbit provides an opportunity to experimentally explore and disrupt host and viral proteins that are integral to the establishment of HSV-1 latency, to the maintenance of latency, and to reactivation from latency in vivo.
    • cantdoit
      Brooke. Inbox me if you need to. We just have to hold on until we can get a cure or a treatment vaccine. 
    • SheGirl
      Do the supplements help during an outbreak?  And do you use oil of oregano with anything when you use it topically?
    • crookbristi
      Hey Brooke, even if you have sex with someone unprotected, you aren't ruining their life.. Just like your life isn't ruined.  Being in a constant ob does make it hard to get your emotions and mentality under control but it's something you really have to focus on.  When you are under a constant state of stress, your immune system shuts down hence the ob's.  When you're feeling healthy (mentally and physically) your ob's will lessen.  Having sex again will happen, even unprotected.  You just need to disclose and be honest with the person you are intimate with.   It's all very hard and shocking. But having H is not the end of the world. It becomes much more manageable if you work on accepting the diagnosis and focus on moving forward.  Don't let the stigma of H control your thoughts.  Did you get a blood test that determined HSV or a culture of the lesion?  I don't understand that your doctor is telling you it's something else if you have a confirmed diagnosis.  
  • Featured