World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Flatfooter

This is the last time Im posting this.

Sabrina32

Each time I see this post I'm so thankful that he was brave enough to post it. Thank you flatfooter the time to cure hsv is this decade we can clone sheep I know the power to heal this virus and so many others is real. I've opened up a brand new savings account just for this purpose.

SeanEscobar

Herpes Cure translates into TRILLIONS of $'s for Drug Provider

Footlose,

Thanks for the post. The fact that you are not trying to push a product around translates into honesty to me.

I'm involved in a small biotech using regenerative medicine ( stem cells ) to cure a number of diseases worlwide. I understand how HARD it is to get a clinical trial going. The animal studies, filing the IND ( Initial New Drug ) to the FDA, getting scrutinized every single step from them and finally waiting more than a year to get the approval to commence human trials. It takes a substantial amount of time and LOTS of capital. It is well known that to clear a product through the FDA costs around 2 billion dollars and numerous years. Because of all this facts I know you know what you are talking about.

Now to all the skeptics, lets put it in monetary perspective:

Pharmas were happy to provide a treatment all this years because it was a steady pipeline of cash. The problem pharmas have now is that numerous patents for many blockbuster drugs are expiring. Lipitor for example is going to cripple the sales of Pfizer by a huge margin. This is just one of many drugs patents that are about to expire.

This Pharmas have to move fast and act quick. They are going to lose big against generical pharmas copying their products. When it come to herpes it turns into the trillion dollar question:

Do we risk the diminishing of our profits trying to compete against generics or do we outright wipe them all out with a cure and make trillions in the process? Now you ask, where is the trillion figure coming from... Simple:

USA alone they'll treat 20 to 50 million patients. The cost could range from $1000 to $10,000. To be conservative let's say $1,000.

50 million X 1000 = 50 Billion

50 million X 10,000 = 500 Billion

This is the US alone! Huge profit margin.

Now many people here say, I can't afford 10k. Well true, but I guarantee that most medical insurers will have to pick up the bill because in the long run this helps them out financially more than it hurts them. Insurers would love to kick the Acyclovir eternal pipeline for good.

In my opinion I'm amazed that no one has developed a cure yet. This numbers are amazing to ignore. Everyday as I battle my own case of HSV-2 I think about it. I'm one that has tried every method out there to "cure" myself with no avail. I'm currently on the silver just for giggles :-(

Good luck everyone, wish all the best and many thanks to Footlose for posting this thread.

- Sean

camomile

This Pharmas have to move fast and act quick. They are going to lose big against generical pharmas copying their products. When it come to herpes it turns into the trillion dollar question:

Do we risk the diminishing of our profits trying to compete against generics or do we outright wipe them all out with a cure and make trillions in the process? Now you ask, where is the trillion figure coming from... Simple:

Now many people here say, I can't afford 10k. Well true, but I guarantee that most medical insurers will have to pick up the bill because in the long run this helps them out financially more than it hurts them. Insurers would love to kick the Acyclovir eternal pipeline for good.

I don't think ppl would pay that sort of money for yet another hit or miss suppressive drug (chemotherapy)that you need to keep taking them every day till you die, suffering from potential side effects and unnecessary stress on the system.

There's a thread on some positive news, under "cure" at the moment.

Thank you for posting. :)

Sabrina32

i dont think he is referring to chemo he said the side effects would be similar to the side effects of chemotherapy. And id pay whatever the price was it wouldnt matter you cant put a price on your health

SeanEscobar

Sabrina32,

I would pay with everything I got to cure myself. The statement from camomile is way out of touch with people that are suffering right now. I notice how many people post anything negative about posible cures. Hidden agendas? Who knows...

Sabrina32

its a shame sean it really is. but everyone i know personally with this would gladly give up their life savings if it meant getting rid of hsv

camomile
i dont think he is referring to chemo he said the side effects would be similar to the side effects of chemotherapy. And id pay whatever the price was it wouldnt matter you cant put a price on your health

"Chemotherapy" actually means, "chemical therapy" not necessarily about anti-cancer.

camomile
Sabrina32,

I would pay with everything I got to cure myself. The statement from camomile is way out of touch with people that are suffering right now. I notice how many people post anything negative about posible cures. Hidden agendas? Who knows...

So you have posted so far 5 times and you are already starting to criticise other poster who simply disagreed with you?

This is a public site, where people from all walks of life would post: you are bound to come across different opinions. I personally don't need to be accused of "having hidden agendas".

Who would not want a definitive cure?

It may be useful to think about other people too. There are people who cannot even afford antiviral drugs at the moment from what I read so far.

Soliel

Flatfooter~ I am not terrified of getting my life back nor do I enjoy being "sick". By the way, I have never ever described my getting an occasional cold sore as "sick". In fact, often when I get them, I am actually feeling pretty healthy.

No Flatfooter...some of us are skeptical of modern medicine. I know I am. Over 200,000 people die every year due to modern medicine properly proscribed. Tens of thousands die from pharmaceuticals.

You better believe that I am not going to be one of those people who takes in "chemotherapy like" treatments just to get rid of cold sores and pay a fortune for the privilege of flushing my body with toxins. No. And I dont' believe you that herbals don't help or can't cure. I haven't tried a few of them and I've had a lot of success managing and feeling healthier due to herbs and natural medicine.

In many ways, what you are selling is snake oil. Very very expensive, very toxic, might even cause pain/discomfort/organ damage but might, be of some kind of cure. Hmmmmmm Doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

Sabrina32

this post brings a smile to my face each time i read it. Rock on flatfooter

NoKingAmI

I believe one day there will be a cure. I know it is WAY in the future though. And when it is available I will absolutely do everything I can to afford to get it.

But like I said, and most people have said, any cure is over 10-15 years in the future. So really it doesn't change anything about living our lives now. We still have to live with this disease, try and find people to love us and accept us, and so on.

I would love to belive that what he posted is true. It helps that he hasnt tried to actually push any products. But at the same time there are no real facts or ways to verify what flatfoot says so of course many people are skeptical. Come on Flatfoot, you seem well spoken and like a well educated guy. How would you take it if some one started telling you amazing stories but couldn't give you any names or hard facts? So yes I appreciate your post, but at the same time would you blindly accept everything this person said?

What it all comes down to, YES there will be a cure one day. These things take time and money, and we aren't the only disease out there waiting to be cured. Be hopeful but continue to try and cope with this and accept this, because any cure that is coming is deff at the very least 10 years away. And thats too far away to have a direct effect on our lifestyle right now.

wastedhousewife

I'd much rather see that money go toward curing something fatal. I know many people suffer with herpes - but the simple fact is that it is a non-life threatening skin rash! I wish everyone the ability to cope with herpes and find the support they need. We are all very lucky that we only have herpes! I hate to say it, but I've read stories of cancer and aids patients who are more optimistic about the future than the people on this site. Stop letting the social stigma stop you from living your life!

wastedhousewife

Terry Healey - At Face Value: My Struggle With A Disfiguring Cancer

Terry Healey

Email: terry@at-face-value.com

Fibrosarcoma

Diagnosed 12/84

Too many surgeries to count

6000 Rads of Radiation Therapy

48 hours of irridium implants in obturator

Cancer Free since 1/86

At Face ValueMy Struggle With A Disfiguring CancerI was a junior at the University of California at Berkeley. At the age of twenty, my life had been smooth sailing, seldom interspersed with adversity or difficulty. I was handsome, smart and athletic. I was confident and not concerned much with my appearance. But over a period of a couple of weeks, a few people asked me what was wrong with my nose, a nose I had always remembered to be pretty normal. I hadn't noticed myself, but upon looking at it closely in the mirror, I assumed the bump pushing against my right nostril would just go away. When it didn't, I made an appointment with a doctor who suggested a biopsy.

The pathology report concluded I had a rare fibrosarcoma. Since the biopsy removed the bulk of the tumor, my doctor indicated that outside of having a CT Scan to insure the tumor had been removed, a follow-up procedure would be necessary to excise any remaining tumor cells that may have been present. Given what he said, I somehow felt that even the ensuing surgery would be minor. My assessment of the situation was that I had little to worry about. The follow-up procedure did prove to be minor. With only a few sutures along the wing of my nose, and a few more inside my pallet, I returned to classes looking like I had been in a fight with someone, not something.

But six months later, I discovered a new lump rising from the lower portion of my right nostril. Then I began to feel tingling sensations in my cheek. Doctor visits, a CT Scan and evaluation by the U.C.S.F. Tumor Board confirmed that my previously unthreatening tumor had procreated itself seemingly overnight into a horrific, life-threatening and potentially disfiguring malignancy. My doctor informed me that I could lose half my nose, half my upper lip and possibly my right eye, but that saving my life was his main concern. I suppose I was too young to contemplate dying, but the realization that I could be disfigured was devastating.

I awoke from my first major surgery (third procedure) with a full-thickness skin graft attached to my face from the skin and fat of my shoulder and chest. Half my nose and upper lip was gone, the muscle and bone from my right cheek had been excised, the shelf of my eye had been removed and six teeth and part of my hard pallet had been resected. My doctor's only promise to me was that he would make me "streetable" before I left the hospital. Initially I did not understand that saying I would be "streetable" was a nice way of preparing me for a life of disfigurement.

When I was released from the hospital, I noticed adults staring at me and children pointing and sometimes laughing at me. I realized that my hospital room had protected and comforted me. Outside of it, I was vulnerable and exposed. How was I going to face the world? I cared what other people thought of me. I relished the admiring looks I received as the "old Terry" and was petrified that someone would even take notice of me as the "new Terry".

Over the next few months, I encountered many old friends and acquaintances. Their sometimes inadvertently negative reactions and comments left an indelible mark on me. On top of what people were saying, the radiation had begun to shrink the tissue on my face, to me magnifying my deformity. My self-esteem was sinking lower than I thought possible.

Five years later and after twenty some attempts to reconstruct my face, I was still coping with the insecurity. When I went for my last procedure I met a wonderful woman who helped me to see that the bulk of my problem was not my physical appearance, but my emotional insecurity. I realized that surgery would not fix the mental and emotional scars that had become far more disfiguring elements of my person than the appearance of my face ever had.

Thanks to that wonderful person, the woman who helped me to open my eyes to what my real problems were, I began to examine myself from the inside out. The support of family and friends, prayer and the realization that my scars were deeper on the inside than the outside all combined to strengthen my spirit and belief in self. I became a volunteer at the Wellness Community (San Francisco/East Bay Chapter), a cancer support organization that offers hope and support for patients and their families.

Helping others seemed to be the greatest form of therapy. I began to feel better about myself as I realized that I could bring tremendous inspiration and hope to those coping with cancer. Over time, the pain I felt from being an outcast subsided. Perhaps I will always be an outcast, but it's not pain I feel any more. In a strange way, I am thankful for who I am today - much stronger and wiser than I was before cancer.

We all struggle with insecurities in one form or another. For me it took something extremely devastating - something that would take me to the deepest depths of self evaluation - to realize that battle scars are what makes someone interesting; battle scars are what makes someone wise; battle scars are what makes you realize how precious and valuable life really is; battle scars are what prepare you for the inevitable adversity that lies ahead.

Fifteen years later, I remain free of cancer. I've accomplished a lot personally and professionally. Married to an extraordinary and supportive woman, I am truly content with myself. I don't cower around others or hold my head down any more. In fact, I don't even think to mention what happened to myself when I meet people. Perhaps they wonder or perhaps they don't. They sure don't seem as curious as they were. I guess that tells you something.

My cancer and disfigurement have taught me one of life's most important lessons - it is our internal spirit and not our external appearance that makes up the human soul.

beautifulwomen

I wonder if flatfooter has heard anything more...? I would pay near anything to stop the near constant pain.

thissuxbad

Just read this whole thread...why do people feel they have to counter someone else's thoughts, opinions, theories, or information? Nothing on this site should be taken so personally. This is a just a helpful forum for everyone - those who know they have H, those who are unsure, and those who are seeking general information. If you disagree, move on to the next thread. If you want a fight, go to Yahoo answers or something like that. Those folks love to throw stones.

Movingslowly
I'd much rather see that money go toward curing something fatal. I know many people suffer with herpes - but the simple fact is that it is a non-life threatening skin rash! I wish everyone the ability to cope with herpes and find the support they need. We are all very lucky that we only have herpes! I hate to say it, but I've read stories of cancer and aids patients who are more optimistic about the future than the people on this site. Stop letting the social stigma stop you from living your life!

Maybe a cure is asking for too much. But a therapeutic vaccine to nearly eliminate all outbreaks, viral shedding, and transmission rates would be feasible and realistic. Then a preventative vaccine for those who wish to remain H free is also reasonable. Dr. Bloom has already been granted 1.25 million to continue his research through human clinical trials so this is a done deal in terms of money. I do however believe scientist should continue to search for a cure because of those rare but fatal herpes illnesses. Are there far more important diseases? Hell yes! But herpes has been put on the back burner for far too many years. It deserves a little light for once.

Perseverance3H

Flatfoot please give us an update... I feel lost there are many of us here looking for a cure... I don't want to have this forever... Im not ok with that..

girl123

What natural medicines do you take that work to suppress the coldsores?

Herpes Awareness

eesh, this thread is like an email chain letter that keeps coming back round...

the same text was posted in another thread a while ago, and I believe I took flatfooter to task for lack of specifics to the point of meaninglessness, when other researchers on this board can name actual drugs undergoing clinical trials.

it seems to prey on people who don't read any of the other research threads. The amazing confidential conversation mentioned seems to be a bunch of travelling pharmaceutical salesmen having a yarn to me.

In terms of specifics, forgetting remarks about treatments being 'as bad as chemotherapy' and so on, there are at least two products under development now that look quite promising in the next few years, AIC316 is a suppressive antiviral, and the Vical vaccine has shown good results in animal studies as a preventative and therapeutic vaccine. Neither should have severe side effects. I recommend readers search the threads in the research and clinical trials subforum for more information.