Creatine

healthynhappy

Hi, I hope this would be of some help to someone....

My husband and I are both oral hsv-1 sufferers for little over 10 years. We both have average around 2-4 outbreaks per year. That is, until the last three.

For the last three years, he has been taking creatine monohydrate, just plain, nothing added creatine monohydrate. Please do a search for creatine monohydrate, it is a legal safe supplement sold at a variety of stores or online. He started me on it two years ago. We have been outbreak free since we began.

Apparently, he found out by accident that cyclocreatine, which is similar in structure to creatine, was studied as a anti-viral in mice. It appears that acyclovir's effects are also enhanced by cyclocreatine studied. This compound was first studied because of acyclovir resistant strains of hsv. Both studies in 1994, and a followup of a more cited marine camp creatine study, made mention that creatine may be the stepping stone to a new class of antiviral.

We have not refilled valtrex once in the last two years. Creatine actually is very cheap, as long as you look just for creatine monohydrate...with nothing else added. I take 5 grams(teaspoon) in the morning with water. I drink about 6-8 glasses a day. My husband also exercises with creatine, so he takes around 5-10 g a day. Same amount of water.

Is there anyone else who has tried this? I think that a couple of you may want to at least research it...I don't know if it helps with shedding, or anything like that....but no outbreaks are no outbreaks.

Generic Creatine Monohydrate...I have to keep repeating because others out there have arginine....this is not a good thing for hsv. Also...as with most supplelements, anyone with kidney or liver problems would probably want to talk to a doctor.

We would love to hear your thoughts...until somebody comes up with a cure, it's all about management. This has worked wonders for us.

• 5 months later...

I'm into wieght lifting too, for generic healthy life style, well i'm planning to get creatine mono, i read an article that it help with genital herpes too, i will use it as supplement to healp with excersise, thanks

i guess it will help with herpes but you will be doing more damage to your body than anything else...creatine adds water into your muscles and all your basically doing is adding water into your muscles and more importantly your adding water to the biggest muscle in your body your heart. this is very dangerous over a long period of time. i trained closely with professional basketball trainers and they told me all about creatine and other pre workouts how they will do more harm than good. so im just trying to give you my advice. i think pills drugs and other supplements that are suppose to help your body actually do more harm, in a few hundred yrs if the human population continues taking theses drugs who knowns what will become of us. what freak mutations would happen.

although i believe in a one time or many time use in a drug to help you get rid of the disease, then yes by all means use the drug to help better yourself. but daily valtrex and other meds essentially do more harm than good to your body and mind. the key is with cullen or bloom, support them and donate money to finally get rid of herpes!!!

i guess it will help with herpes but you will be doing more damage to your body than anything else...creatine adds water into your muscles and all your basically doing is adding water into your muscles and more importantly your adding water to the biggest muscle in your body your heart. this is very dangerous over a long period of time. i trained closely with professional basketball trainers and they told me all about creatine and other pre workouts how they will do more harm than good. so im just trying to give you my advice. i think pills drugs and other supplements that are suppose to help your body actually do more harm, in a few hundred yrs if the human population continues taking theses drugs who knowns what will become of us. what freak mutations would happen.

although i believe in a one time or many time use in a drug to help you get rid of the disease, then yes by all means use the drug to help better yourself. but daily valtrex and other meds essentially do more harm than good to your body and mind. the key is with cullen or bloom, support them and donate money to finally get rid of herpes!!!

I would have to disagree, creatine monohydrate has been proven to be safe in regular use and has no effect on the heart. (I can provide studies if wanted). Yes creatine increases the sarcoplasm of the the muscle cell by allowing water to be held, but it's main function is increasing the ATP availability in muscles (by converting ADP back into ATP) to allow for greater strength.

Creatine is a naturally occurring substance, found mainly in the skeletal muscles of animals (NOT THE *CARDIAC* MUSCLE). Our body makes it's own creatine, cows make creatine, birds make creatine...the problem is that when you cook any type of meat it destroys the creatine content to almost null.

Creatine is safe to use as long as you make sure to keep hydrated, for bodybuilding purposes 10g a day is sufficient. (Not sure about herpes prevention though!) After years of use, my liver functions have shown now signs of harm. You should also be drinking around 1 gallon a day (not sure how big your 6-8 glasses of water really are)...and if your husband is exercising, he should be having around 1.2+ a day.

I'm not trying to call you out, no good herpes, but I'm stating the facts I know. I have been a bodybuilder for a while now ;)

I disagree with pretty much all of this. Daily creatine supplementation has been studied extensively and found to be very safe. I doubt it has any effect on herpes, although I don't know that it has ever been studied.

• 2 years later...
Hi, I hope this would be of some help to someone....

My husband and I are both oral hsv-1 sufferers for little over 10 years. We both have average around 2-4 outbreaks per year. That is, until the last three.

For the last three years, he has been taking creatine monohydrate, just plain, nothing added creatine monohydrate. Please do a search for creatine monohydrate, it is a legal safe supplement sold at a variety of stores or online. He started me on it two years ago. We have been outbreak free since we began.

Apparently, he found out by accident that cyclocreatine, which is similar in structure to creatine, was studied as a anti-viral in mice. It appears that acyclovir's effects are also enhanced by cyclocreatine studied. This compound was first studied because of acyclovir resistant strains of hsv. Both studies in 1994, and a followup of a more cited marine camp creatine study, made mention that creatine may be the stepping stone to a new class of antiviral.

We have not refilled valtrex once in the last two years. Creatine actually is very cheap, as long as you look just for creatine monohydrate...with nothing else added. I take 5 grams(teaspoon) in the morning with water. I drink about 6-8 glasses a day. My husband also exercises with creatine, so he takes around 5-10 g a day. Same amount of water.

Is there anyone else who has tried this? I think that a couple of you may want to at least research it...I don't know if it helps with shedding, or anything like that....but no outbreaks are no outbreaks.

Generic Creatine Monohydrate...I have to keep repeating because others out there have arginine....this is not a good thing for hsv. Also...as with most supplelements, anyone with kidney or liver problems would probably want to talk to a doctor.

We would love to hear your thoughts...until somebody comes up with a cure, it's all about management. This has worked wonders for us.

how is this working for you??? Its crazy because I used to take creatine and I never had outbreaks. But for some reason Im scared to try it now because I know that arginine is an amino acid used in the body to make creatine. Any clue????

I am going to add creatine to my list of suppliments to study for reducing OB's because alot of my experiments with my vitimin regimin were done on people who were also taking creatine.

Dr Dave

creatine is good to use as long as you cycle every 3 to 4 weeks.

Do not take it every single day of the year. it will damage the kidneys if you do.

As long as you take it in 3 week increments (3weeks on 3 weeks off) you will be good.

and you will put on more muscle while you are at it. :)

Personally, I used to take creatine on and off for 4 years while in the military. After reading the original post I realized that I never had an OB or even thought about it during that time. Interestingly enough, I read an medical study article about a group of 8 Marines that stopped their perscription because they started taking creatine that stopped their OB's. I was also in the Marines. Dont know if its a weird coincidence, but I will try it again. The only issue is that I only get OB's once maybe twice a year. Hopefully someone that gets frequent outbreaks can try this as well????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had GHSV2 for almost a year now and the period where I've taken Creatine and worked out aggressively (which I love to do) it has stopped my outbreaks during this time.

I take a fairly expensive creatine supplement called Creakic by Muscletech. It is a very high amount of Creatine in a blend of the best forms of Creatine. I've started taking it again for probably the 2nd or 3rd time this year and I just got over a very aggresive breakout which has suppressed. I have started using Purell on the area and I'm currently doing a creatine cycle with Creakic that I will probably continue for a few months.

In my bodybuilding research, I have found that Creatine does not have the bad effects that people have spread about it over about 20-30 years that it has gained popularity. I plan to try to take it as long as my income allows and since I just started a very well paying job, I will be able to keep up my creatine intake for a good while. I will try to keep this forum updated on my outbreaks while on a high creatine supplement regimen.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know any studies on why creatine might help?

I'm no expert here but I have spent days on the internet researching this horrible virus and trying to find solutions that work and would not break the bank. One of the things I learned about this virus is that it requires an acidic envirnment to replicate. This is true for all viruses by the way and even cancer. Anyway, if you raise the PH at the cellular level to a certain level, it will keep the virus in a dormant stage. One of the benefits of creatine is that it increases the PH at the cellular level. The benefit for wroking out is that it buffers the build up of lactic acid which enables you to do a few more lbs or a few more reps in each set. The HSV benefit is that it increases the body PH, apparently to a level that keeps the virus dormant.

I have learned to not work out to the point where you are breathing heavily. When you are huffing and puffing trying to catch your breath, you are no longer working in an aerobic state. It's a depletion of O2 that is causing you to breath so hard. When the body is deficient in O2, it pulls it from the cellular level to feed the organs. This imbalance causes a build up of lactic acids and you lose you alkalinity which contributes to future OBs.

There are drops of stabilized liquid oxygen that you can take to get and maintain your body in an alkaline state which prevents the OBs. I have used them with pretty good success. My failures with this have come from over exercising, taking supplements high in Argenine and today, overdoing the oxygenation by taking both the drops and the Creatine. At least, that's what I believe happened this week. I just started taking the creatine last week since I had to ditch my other, Argenine rich, supplements. This, on the heals of an outbreak caused by the Argenine. So I had to start all over with the gradual build up of the O2 drops to keep from going into a 'rapid detox' mode which also leads to OBs. By the 5th day, I had another outbreak. So, I did more research to better understand why and that's where I came up with my above theory. I created a 'rapid detox' by increasing my alkalinity too quickly by using both the O2 drops and Creatine. Too many people have taken Creatine with success for me to write it off yet. I stopped taking the O2 drops for now and will see what happens when only the Creatine is used.

I will share how this works for me. PLEASE, anyone else who has experience with Creatine & HSV, Please share it. Also, any other HSV friendly supplements out there? I would love to find a post workout shake without Argenine but that does work.

• 2 years later...

I wanted to update this from 2012...

I found myself in a revolving OB mode for a couple of months after the experience I outlined above. I stopped everything. I am now starting on creatine again but this time will ONLY be taking creatine and no other supplemet to boost my PH and I will not work out oo aggressively (builds up acid in the body which I am convinced also leads to my OBs). I will update this again after a few months. That will be progress if I have no OBs during that time. Hopefully, the cycle will be broken.

Anyone else out there with feedback on creatine or anything else that is or is not working for you?

Hey Nicoli,

You updated after almost 2 years, so have you not had OBs after u stopped everything else for 2 years?

Unfortunately, no Brazu. I stopped taking the creatine after back to back major OBs. I believe this is because I also took alkalizing drops and was creating a 'rapid detox' affect because it seems creatine is also quite alkalizing, raising your PH. Viruses need an acidic environment to reproduce and cause an OB. One idea to prevent further OBs is to slowly increase and maintain your body's PH above 6.75 to prevent the H from replicating. It simply remains dormant. However, I know it's possible to alkalize too quickly which rapidly raises your PH and creates a rapid detox OB. I now believe it's also possible to raise my PH to a level that also causes a detox OB even if I gradually raise the PH. I THINK that's what I did 2 years ago when I took both the drops and the creatine. And it was a really big OB that also caused lingering nerve damage down there. I now suffer from occasional neuralgic pain and sensitivity. I believe this was of my own doing. So I took a long break but continue to suffered from OBs. I started back on the creatine this week after raising my PH to 6.75 - 7.25 using baking soda and I started feeling discomfort within 3 days of adding the creatine to the routine. So, I am stopping with the baking soda (I was going to stop anyway) and will only use creatine to see how this works. I learned a lot from the last attempt, so hopefully i will do a better job this time. Already, the discomfort I was feeling yesterday has lessened. I used creatine exclusively 2 years ago for maybe 6-9 months and had no OBs. I wasn't taking it because of the virus but to help with my workouts. The help with H may just be a pleasant side affect. I usually have an OB once a month or every other month at best. So, 6-9 months free was very encouraging. However, I didn't fully understand how creatine affects the body and I also didn't consider that I might raise my PH to a level that would cause the detox OB. So when I started taking the drops along with the creatine, an OB came pretty quickly.

Some additional info- my triggers are working out heavily, drinking heavily and chocolate & peanut butter.

Something that has helped to reduce and even stop an OB from occurring is Tagament (cimetidine), used to treat acid indigestion. At the first signs of prodrome, I take 2 pills (200 mg ea) and take 1 pill every 4 hours after that (2 pills at bed time) for 5 days. This has helped to either stop or minimize OBs. However, I don't know how healthy it is to do this long term. And even though it helps with the OBs, I still feel the discomfort from prodrome for a couple of days, so it's not a great solution. But it might give some people relief in a pinch. Just try to time it so it doesn't interfere with digesting meals. You will get gassy and loose stool.

I will report back in a week or so to let you know how things are going.

• 2 weeks later...

Update as promised...

Well, I read through the whole thread again when I started taking the creatine almost 2 weeks ago and I saw where a couple of people were taking 10mgs instead of just 5. So, I decided to try that as well, starting with only 2-3mg once a day and working up to 5mg twice a day. At first I felt great. I took a dose first thing in the morning and another at dinner (right after the gym). I was also tracking my PH throughout the day using pee strips. My PH was definitely climbing and staying in that 7.25 - 7.5 range. I thought GREAT! Then, I had another small OB. So, I stopped altogether. It turned into 2 separate small OB with one in the hairline and another very small one with only two tiny blisters on the shaft.

What did I learn? Well, as usual, I think I over did it by taking 2 doses a day. May be good for some but it seems that my 'PH sweet spot' is somewhere between the 6.75 - 7.25 range. This OB should be healed by the weekend and I will resume the creatine dosage at 5mg in the evening and no more in the morning. I'll report back again in a couple of weeks to let you know if I ever figured out how to not over-do things.

So frustrating but also educational if you pay attention. I hope more of you will try this and report back.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been taking creatine on and off for years. I took it last night while I worked out and I I just got a CS 30 mins ago. I usually add one tbs to my protein shake every weekday and sometimes drink it while I work out as well, but stopped recently b/c it was giving me headaches. I will take a large dose tonight and keep up with it in hopes it will lessen this outbreak, but I am doubtful.

Frustrated, sorry for your struggles with the virus. I strongly suggest you DON'T take any more creatine while having an outbreak or pre outbreak symptoms. Creatine raises your PH as soon as you take it. That's a good thing to do slowly but not during an OB. It will just make the OB worse. Go to Walmart and get Cemetidine (acid reducer- Tagament). That may help to minimize your OB. 2 before bedtime and 1 every 4-6 hours during the day x 1 week. Try to take it a couple hours between meals if you can so it doesn't mess with your digestion. Otherwise, you will end up with the squirts.

If you take Creatine now, it will make the OB worse. AFTER the OB is done and healed, start back on the Creatine slowly at first and work your way up to one full dose per day. Doubling up could lead to another OB.

If you want to see what I mean about how it affects your body's PH, get some PH strips- the kind you dip in urine or spit. Check your PH just before taking the Creatine. Then wait an hour and test your PH again.

The virus cannot replicate in a non-acidic (alkaline) environment. However, raise your PH too fast or dramatically and you actually cause an OB by flushing the virus. And NO, you aren't flushing it to get rid of it. Just causing what will likely be a bigger OB than normal.

Good luck and let us know here what you did and what happened. It's how we learn.

May as well update you now since I'm here. The OB ended mid week and I started taking Creatine again on the 28th of April. Started with about 2mg and slowly worked up to 5mg. I started taking it in the mornings instead of after dinner/workouts because it's easier for me to remember and I'm always home for breakfast. Anyway, 2 weeks on Creatine and very light workouts at the gym. I'll try to maintain this light workout for the rest of April. Heavy workouts increase body acidity and I want to make sure I'm not overdoing things for at least 1 month.

After a particularly harsh OB a couple of years ago, I've suffered from what I call phantom pains and discomfort in my OB area. The more recent the last OB, the more pronounced and frequent these pains are. The longer I go without an OB, the better it gets. Right now, the phantoms are starting to subside. Hope I can keep that up.

I'm about to experience a bunch of triggers for me- flying, alcohol and extra sex. Going on a short trip. My fingers are crossed that the creatine does its job and I don't over do the fun. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 5 years later...

Creatine works to suppress herpes.  Only problem for me, it aggravates asthma.  Any suggestions?

Edited by FunGuy

• 11 months later...

Hi All: 

I have a herpes OB every month with my female cycle. It technically happens with hormonal changes so if I did not take valtrex it would happen twice per month and it is aggressive.  The most aggressive my doctor as well as any doctor in his office has ever seen.  I also get shingles if I do not treat with valtrex

I am going to try creatine. However I am in a lot of other supplements so we shall see.  I will report back. I am currently in an OB and took 5 mg today.  I see that is not a good idea, but I am going to try it. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2021 at 5:01 PM, LetsSolveThis said:

Hi All: 

I have a herpes OB every month with my female cycle. It technically happens with hormonal changes so if I did not take valtrex it would happen twice per month and it is aggressive.  The most aggressive my doctor as well as any doctor in his office has ever seen.  I also get shingles if I do not treat with valtrex

I am going to try creatine. However I am in a lot of other supplements so we shall see.  I will report back. I am currently in an OB and took 5 mg today.  I see that is not a good idea, but I am going to try it. 

Sooooo… has creatine provided any relief from your outbreaks?