Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wondering1

Did I contract herpes from sharing someones glass?

3 posts in this topic

About 2 weeks ago I accidentally drank out of someones glass who had cold sores on her mouth. About 2 days ago I developed what I thought to be a pimple right under my lip. Now the entire side of my lip is red, painful and swollen and there is a tiny bump that looks like a pimple. Could it be herpes? If so, could it be either HSV 1 or 2? Should I bother going to the doctor or should I assume that it was just a pimple if it doesnt become more blister looking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

If it is herpes you would need to wait at least 3 months before getting a blood test because it can take that long to develop antibodies for the virus. If your sore is still there you can have a swab test done on it to see if it is herpes or not. Did you try popping the sore? If pus comes out than it's a zit but if it's clear and if you apply something to and it burns that's a sure sign of it being a cold sore than a pimple. Also if it bleeds it's a pimple because cold sores don't bleed. As for drinking after someone that get's cold sores, I think it's possible you could get the virus considering they had an actual outbreak at the time.

If it is herpes you would need to wait at least 3 months before getting a blood test because it can take that long to develop antibodies for the virus. If your sore is still there you can have a swab test done on it to see if it is herpes or not. Did you try popping the sore? If pus comes out than it's a zit but if it's clear and if you apply something to and it burns that's a sure sign of it being a cold sore than a pimple. Also if it bleeds it's a pimple because cold sores don't bleed. As for drinking after someone that get's cold sores, I think it's possible you could get the virus considering they had an actual outbreak at the time.

Thanks so much for the information! The thing is, its not exactly a sore. There is a tiny pimple looking thing and my lip surrounding it is swollen, painful and sort of tingling.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• VVK
      You're not part of the impossible. Transmitting genital HSV1 to another person's genitals is close to impossible. Transmitting oral HSV1 to a person's genitals is quite possible.
    • VVK
      Did the doctor do a swab test of the sore? You're in a messed up situation for several reasons, but perhaps wait on the "crushing another person" part until you know for sure. Almost 90% of people have one type of herpes or another (type 1 or type 2) and the majority of them don't even know they have it.. knowing, or more specifically thinking that you know, what it means to have herpes is often worse than the actual impact that it has on your daily life.  
    • VVK
      Most STD testing does not include herpes testing by default. They may think that they're "clean" but they probably haven't been tested. At this point you don't even know whether or not you have HSV. All possibilities are on the table while you deliberate over investigating further with testing.
    • SoManyEmotions
      Hi everyone, I've had sex with two women in the past year. The most recent was about 10 days before I started showing symptoms. Both of these women swear to me they have been tested and are clean. Is this possible? And if so, is it very rare? I know it is not healthy to be hung up on this fact, but I know both of these women and want to believe they are being honest with me, but also am skeptical. Could I have had this disease for years and not known? Also no partner in my history has ever said they had any problems or questioned if I was clean after we were together.
    • Sanguine108
      Viral infections, which preoccupy the host's defenses/immune system, typically make people vulnerable to opportunistic pathogens like bacterial, fungal and/or yeast.   You could say that your body is prioritizing the production of antibodies for GH.     I'm not going to dispute whether you have hsv or not but there is something you can do. There's an herbal wash that'd be very helpful called Yin Care.   Long story short, it's nearly for all vaginal issues.  Especially those related to yeast, bacterial, fungal, or viral infections. https://www.amazon.com/Arbor-International-Herbal-3-4oz-100ml/dp/B0009Y2EVK A fungal rash on your groin?   Does the rash follow a line down the inner thigh?   When you say fungal rash, what makes you say fungal?
    • VVK
      It's a lot of eyeballing the math because ultimately nobody has adequately studied oral-to-genital HSV-1 transmission rates. Only 30% of the population is susceptible (HSV-1 individuals don't count) and a smaller fraction of that group actually receives oral sex based on their demographics. It's not correct to use HSV-2 transmission rates from male-to-female or vice versa because the mechanics of the act of oral sex are different. There's no condom involved in oral sex (unless you count the minority that use dental dams). There's much more repeated exposure of a vulnerable skin surface (the vulva or penis glans) to a potentially infectious surface (lips and to a much lesser extent the insides of the mouth). I'd love to crunch more numbers but we're getting off-topic so maybe something to do in a different thread - I'll move our posts a bit later. Edit: I have now moved the relevant posts into this thread for further discussion. Currently I don't have enough time to crunch some numbers on my own but I plan to contribute later today or tomorrow.
    • VVK
      More than 70% of people are HSV-1 positive and about 40% HSV-2 positive, many don't even know and live their lives without taking Valtrex. If you think about that - how many billions of people are affected by this virus - you will eventually understand that it's not the end of the world either way.
    • VVK
      Less sugary foods and drinks. More dairy if you can tolerate it and fish. Less tree nuts.
    • VVK
      While the skin surface is more or less healed, under there are nerves that heal a bit slower - that's likely what you're feeling with the itching/tickling. It's referred to as post-herpetic neuralgia. It happens often enough that I'd say it is normal. There are a few things to try to relieve it. The simplest one is to massage coconut oil into the general area. Other members may have other suggestions like oil of oregano (diluted) that have worked for them.
    • crookbristi
      Hi Everyone, looking for some thoughts.  I was visually diagnosed with a 'mild' case of herpes (is there such a thing as mild?) on 7/25. I am currently waiting on blood tests for a definitive diagnosis.  A month ago I had three little pimple like bumps on my labia that went away quickly so I didn't think of it. Now I have one lesion that's been there just over a week and almost healed.  I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary before these bumps appeared.  Maybe some excess discharge and itching but I attributed it all due to working out and the heat of the summer mixing with my body.  I'm wondering if anyone would mind sharing some of their other symptoms before an OB?  Obviously itching, burning on the genitals is an indicator but I'm wondering more specifically about back/leg aches.  I've been noticing more significant pain at almost the base of my spine (tail bone area I guess.  Right above my butt). Anyone else experience pain there?  It's not unbearable as I've experienced pain there for several years, especially right before I get my period.  I realize everyone's OB's are a little different, yet similar but any thoughts are appreciated! Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum! 
  • Featured