Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Here's what works for me.... Bactine rules!!!

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been reading this forum for two weeks and have received so much great information that I couldn't find anywhere else. Thanks so much. There are so many amazing post. I wanted to give back what little advice i have to possibly help someone out there. I hope it helps.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

Background: I have had coldsores for 20+ years. They suck. I have tried prescription,OTC, crazy herbals, etc.

About a year ago I was getting another, of many, cold sores for the year. I was online looking for an alternative to abreva. I came across:

Viroxyn Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment and Topical Antiseptic - Three 0.6 ml Vials $45

I went to Amazon to see what the comments were. I was overjoyed to see the first comment was:

TheTruth (Florida) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Viroxyn Cold Sore/Fever Blister Treatment and Topical Antiseptic - Three 0.6 ml Vials (Health and Beauty)

Great product- but check the active ingredient. The secret is: IT'S THE SAME AS Bactine. Yes, THAT Bactine. As in only six bucks for a FULL BOTTLE of this stuff you get in three tiny vials here. I have no problem with someone trying to make a profit- but this is outrageous. Don't take my word for it: Compare the ingredient of Viroxin to Bactine: It's the same: Benzalkonium Cl 0.13%.

I read this and went right to the store and bought a $5 spray bottle of Bactine (5oz). Sprayed some on my finger and rubbed it on my lips. Soothing relief. An outbreak never happened. Since then I've probably used it 10-15 times. I don't have a more accurate number because when you don't have a breakout you aren't scarred my the miserable two weeks of suffering.*

I have suffered for years and it is a joy to have an inexpensive fix.... For me at least. I did have one outbreak in Mexico a month ago and forgot to bring *Bactine. *I couldn't find it in the pharmacy. When I got home the next day I put on some and it instantly soothed it. It did swell a bit but it didn't form up and scab. I love this stuff. And NO I am not a spokesman for the Bactine company, although they could probably make a fortune if they let people know it would sooth cold sores and well as sooth cuts and scrapes.

I also put it on my canker sores and it soothes them but it doesn't stop them. *You shouldn't swallow it though.

As far as hsv2, my girlfriend tried it and said it did nothing to help .....sorry

By the way, the only difference is the soothing ingredients:*

Viroxyn - *Benzocaine 5%

Bactine - Lidocaine 2.5%

Another inexpensive product is CureChrome 1oz btl. ($3.50)*walgreens. It has the same ingredients.

I also found this, which is yet another expensive option:

Releev® Cold Sore Symptom Treatment*

INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredients:Benzalkonium Chloride 0.13% (an organic chloride salt). Inactive Ingredients:Viracea, Methyl & Propyl Paraben, Potassium Sorbate, Methylcellulose, Purified Water.

I hope this helps someone else sure helped me

Now if anyone has any cankersore advice ... That would be helpful!!!!

Hi broc and welcome to you. You certainly have been doing your homework haven't you :D I can't believe that Amazon left that feedback in. Health and Beauty must have lost a lot of sales surely. It's great you've found something good that works for you. I will have to hunt around for this product but I am worried I may not find it, as I live in Australia!

If I can get my hands on some, I will give it a try next time. I will let you know how it goes. What do you currently use for canker sores, and what have you tried in the past?

Wow I did not know that bactine would help heal and get rid of cold sores! I have some in my medicine cabinet because my kid's get cuts and scrapes alot in the summer time so now I can use it myself if I get another cold sore. The bottle I have has expired so next time I'm at Wal-Mart I will pick some up. Thanks for the info :)

Thanks. I was pretty shocked too but it's Amazon's website not Viroxyn's website.. Thank goodness. I always check the comments on Amazon before I buy almost everything. I find out so much more information from all of the reviews.

As for the canker sores .... They suck!!! I have been suffering from canker sores for at least 30 years. I usually have 1 to 5 at any time combined with 'geographic tongue' . The worst is the canker sores on the the side of the tongue that rub on my teeth.*

I have tried everything for them and the only thing that works is Debacterol. It is a liquid that you put directly on the canker sore that chemically cauterizes it. It stings really bad but just for a few seconds ..... Then nothing but a wonderful, pain free mouth. It usually completely stops the canker sore 85% of the time. Now for the bad news, you can't find it online or otc (over the counter). I found it a few years ago online but can't find it anymore without a prescription. The only way you can get it is by a dentist applying it on you for $15. Ouch!! My little amount that i have left is like gold to me. That is ......

Until last night. After I did this post I went online looking for Debacterol and I came across this website:

I was blown away!!!! A toothpaste called *Squigle Toothpaste with Xylitol and Fluoride might be the Holy Grail. Are you kidding me .... A tooth paste called SQUIGLE!!! Something must be fishy. So what do I do? That's right, I checked the reviews on Amazon:

Listen, if this is a scam ...... Sign me up. I just ordered 3 tubes and will let you know. Apparently, it contains*Xylitol, which is supposed to be excellent for balancing the ph of your mouth. **

I had given up 10 years ago finding an answer but now I have new hope..

For $8 bucks a tube it is a no-brainer for me. Indirectly, It has lead me into my newest search into the world of probiotics.

Also thanks to this website and its awsome users for providing hope that a cure for HSV might be in the near future. I look forward to these ones:

ACAM-529 - harvard Acambis acquired by Sanofi-Pasteur

ImmunoVEXHSV2 by BioVex Inc*

Nanobio cream. *Hsv01

I hope this helps somebody else.

Bactine work on vaginal sores too?

Mrbroc already answered this question, and I quote:

"As far as hsv2, my girlfriend tried it and said it did nothing to help .....sorry"

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• fixme1
      You and wilson need removing from here all you do is argue imo. Im not putting anything down or feeding stigma. just stating methods of testing are known to miss. Fyi im living my life pretty good, nothig wrong with coming on here and being positive which most the time i am. Just hate it when people claim iggs are accurate ha
    • bye
      @Free73 She took a swab from the inside and then the outside. I'm not sure what the difference is between lesions or blisters if I'm honest, but the nurse definitely told me I had blisters!   After I went to my first doctors appointment last week, I was referred to a GU clinic which I went to two days ago, and I had more swabs taken (for other STI'S) and a blood test for HIV. I just want to make sure he hasn't given me anything else.  He really is. He is a very toxic person and I still haven't got my head around it all. On top of coping with this I am still trying to come to terms with how I managed to get involved with such a poisonous person.  Do you really think he might've known the whole time and he just didn't care about passing it on because he ''wasn't showing sypmtoms'' ?   He may have had tiny symptoms like you said, and just ignored it. That's almost as bad as knowing and passing it on to innocent people.  I did know that it was caught via skin to skin contact, but I just thought that him cumming inside me was a contributing factor to it too! Learn something new everyday I guess haha!  Yeah you're right. I just wanted to know because I didn't want him to start blaming me saying I gave it to him when I haven't! Because he lies and manipulates he did make me doubt myself for a day or two, but I know in my heart of hearts that this has come from him.  Unfortunately I don't have any brothers, but I sure do have a male friends who would happily punch the shit out of him!  Thank you for your reply, it's much appreciated!      
    • Wintergirl
      Hey there.....I had to reach out to you when I read your post. You are at the right place to get support and are feeling like most of us have felt and experienced at some point. It is shocking and shakes your entire world up. does get better and you will get through this. Sending you the biggest hug xx  
    • Free73
      I will take it and shove it up my herpes diagnosed ass as soon as my outbreak clears up. You on the other hand can continue playing with your undiagnosed ass, cock and balls at your leisure.
    • Free73
      What did the nurse swab? Did you have lesions or blisters? If you tested positive via swab, there is no need for a blood test. But if she just did a visual diagnosis, then you should go back for an IGG. I'm sorry to say, but your ex sounds like a piece of dogshit. I will also say that on reading your story, it immediately became apparent to me that your ex likely knew all along that he had herpes. It's possible that he did have symptoms, but you just weren't aware of what to look for. Herpes can be as tiny as a pinhead or appear as a pimple. It doesn't always present as noticeable rash with blisters and pimples. The other thing is that him cumming inside you has no relevance to catching herpes. Herpes is transmitted via skin to skin contact, not fluid. You may already know that and if you did, then I didn't mean to point out something you already know Asking him to get tested is futile. A guy like this won't get tested and even if he did, he would lie to you or misrepresent the results. So don't waste any more of your time with him. Do you have a brother than can pay him a visit and punch him in the face 8 times? Take care of yourself, i'm sorry you had to go through this
    • bye
      Hello!  Thankyou for your response! I'm glad I have found this support group as I have been struggling to cope with this for the past week. It has put my mind at ease a bit and I feel less alone! That is what has been bugging me, trying to pin point the time I could have caught this, but I am certain it is from him. I know he has had more sexual partners than I have so it puts him at a higher risk than me, but even though I have brought this to his attention now he still seems adamant he is clean because he isn't showing symptoms. He just doesn't even seem to care about it or what it's done to me, which I find quite hurtful. He isn't the person I thought he was.  He has been trying to flip the blame on me and say I caught this when I was on holiday, but I know I haven't done anything as I am not an unfaithful person. I wouldn't dream of doing that to him, or anyone for that matter! I know it's likely he either had it long ago or has recently caught it, but I'm finding it mentally draining that I won't know the truth. I am trying to accept that I may never know but it's very hard. I read somewhere that you can't tell if you have or carry the virus through a blood test? If he actually went for the test and it comes back negative I know he will try and accuse me of making it up or catching it from someone else, which is not true.  I had a blood test taken the other day as I wanted to get checked for HIV and something else. Will my test come back negative for IgG too then? Or won't they even check if they have diagnosed me through examination?  Do you think the bladder infection was the start of it or do you think that is unrelated?  Again thankyou for your response, it has made me feel a bit better about the situation   Hugs. 
    • Blahdittilyblah
      Your outbreaks may lessen over time everyone is different. I have only had one in the 3 months of having this bastard and hope to keep it that way. But over time supposedly the OB are less as far as shedding the virus I don't think it gets lesss over time and if it does you never know when it sheds so there isn't a way to really tell if your putting someone at risk just always assume that you may be putting someone at risk if you decide to have sex with them protected or not 
    • Blahdittilyblah
      Calm down and try to relax. Your life is not over it's not ruined it is changed however. Your not going to die from this it could be much worse you could have cancer one of the many forms that ravage your body. You could have AIDS and be ready to die. You could be paralyzed and never walk again, blind and not see, deaf and not hear there are many worse off situations then this. Yes it seems disgusting and horrible and at times I too feel this way but if it wasn't something that could transmit to others would you care as much? I know that it does but remove that factor would it bother you so much probably not there are people far worse off then you in life be great fuk that if anything super shity is happening to you it's just herpes and not something that gives you a date of your passing seriously it'll be ok just take time to adjust and learn about this virus. Trust me I went through the freak out phase too not sucicidal but I def freaked out pretty good it's normal but I can assure you that you'll be fine. 
    • GKH
      Really? It is offensive and insulting for people who can't get a diagnosis to complain about severe pain, with reason to believe it's from herpes?!?  Wow, what a d-bag you are. And you can shove your fake "i'm offended" cry up your ass.  And stop pretending like this website requires a diagnosis or your approval prior to entry. Acting as if you're some sort of bouncer.
    • LiveLife100
      Hi @bye and welcome to this wonderful supportive group! I'm sorry that you find yourself here, but everything will be okay.  There are many possibilities about what might have happened. Most likely you were infected just prior to your 1st outbreak. It's possible he had this since long before you and is asymptotic with no knowledge of it. It isn't weird that it took a while for you to catch it as the virus isn't contagious all the time.  It's also possible that he did recently acquire it. Without symptoms to swab, the common test is the IgG blood test that tests for antibodies. If this is the test he got (if he got one) then testing negative for a recent infection is quite likely. After 16 weeks it's pretty reliable. Truth is you may never know and that's ok too.  Hugs
  • Featured