Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
podofwhales

New here...vegan and insurance issues

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, this looks like a great, supportive and informative site. I was diagnosed with genital herpes last November. It was very painful, physically and emotionally.

Recently I switched jobs and lost my health insurance. I now pay for my own insurance. They attached a rider stipulating that they would not pay for anything related to the herpes. I'm assuming this includes drugs? After doing some research online I guess this seems to be normal practice, but it just adds insult to injury.

Also, I was reading on this site about lysine and arginine. I'm vegan, and I eat a LOT of brown rice, tofu and peanut butter. In fact, I was feeling depressed about the insurance situation last night, so I made myself some vegan rice crispy treats containing brown rice cereal, peanut butter and chocolate! So reading this today was so depressing. I guess I'll try to cut back on some of these foods, but my diet is restricted as it is, so...yeah. If any other vegans/vegetarians have advice, that would be great.

You may find that eating some of these things do not affect you at all. I eat a low fat, lower sugar diet and little meat. But I don't give a second thought to eating what I want as nothing seems to cause outbreaks.

Oh good...that's encouraging to hear. I don't want to starve!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• WilsoInAus
      That has never been demonstrated except self reporting. That's simply what people need to know. Still it is good that you have backed off that herpes causes nerve damage as a justification for taking SJW. People also need to be aware that the FDA has not approved SJW as a potential treatment for anything. This is just a fact for people to consider. In fact the medical authorities actively promote the following: St. John’s wort is known to affect how the body uses and breaks down a number of drugs and can cause serious side effects. Serotonin is a brain chemical targeted by antidepressants. Combining St. John’s wort and certain antidepressants can lead to a potentially life-threatening increase in serotonin levels—a condition called serotonin syndrome. Symptoms range from tremor and diarrhea to very dangerous confusion, muscle stiffness, drop in body temperature, and even death.
      Psychosis is a rare but possible side effect of taking St. John’s wort, particularly in people who have or are at risk for mental health disorders, including bipolar disorder.
      Taking St. John’s wort can weaken many prescription medicines, such as:
      Antidepressants
      Birth control pills
      Cyclosporine, which prevents the body from rejecting transplanted organs
      Digoxin, a heart medication
      Some HIV drugs including indinavir
      Some cancer medications including irinotecan
      Acyclovir, a medication for herpes
      Warfarin and similar medications used to thin the blood. All important information for our readers.
    • WilsoInAus
      There really isn't any such thing as a silent HSV-1 primary infection in adult. It will appear with some clarity about 2-7 days after infection.
    • crookbristi
      I don't think it suppressed anything. Just masked it all. Because I didn't have a lesion or anything, there was no other thought as to it being anything but an infection. 
    • Felina88
      Antibiotics can suppress viral infections?
    • brookeb300
      So does anyone know if herpes is in integrated into the host's cells genome or if there are just virus particles in the nerve ganglia and some of them stay there so that it never is completely eliminated.  This hasn't completely been figured out yet?  That's scary.  I guess the whole latency thing needs to be figured out more.  Maybe they will know what's going on better with CRISPR?
    • brookeb300
      Has anyone actually tried sprironactolone for any lenghth of time or anything?  I was going to try to get it at the dermatologist.  I was just wondering bc I feel like it might be possible to get a prescription for it.
    • 7ithium
      Is it a cluster of tingly blisters that feel like tiny aliens moving around? Sometimes you feel it, sometimes you don't?  If it looks the same after a few days it's likely not herpes!
    • 7ithium
      My first one was pretty much the same as yours but as the years go on they've seemed to decrease pain and blister-wise!
    • EM424
      So, @Franticheart, @Berliner, and @Cantdoit, are you going through the same thing or similiar?
    • EM424
      Washington, DC.. I see a few doctors on Wednesday. I am going to see if I can do a western blot with my doctor. I need to know why my IGG are negative and what does it mean if I am not developing antibodies.
  • Featured