Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
podofwhales

New here...vegan and insurance issues

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, this looks like a great, supportive and informative site. I was diagnosed with genital herpes last November. It was very painful, physically and emotionally.

Recently I switched jobs and lost my health insurance. I now pay for my own insurance. They attached a rider stipulating that they would not pay for anything related to the herpes. I'm assuming this includes drugs? After doing some research online I guess this seems to be normal practice, but it just adds insult to injury.

Also, I was reading on this site about lysine and arginine. I'm vegan, and I eat a LOT of brown rice, tofu and peanut butter. In fact, I was feeling depressed about the insurance situation last night, so I made myself some vegan rice crispy treats containing brown rice cereal, peanut butter and chocolate! So reading this today was so depressing. I guess I'll try to cut back on some of these foods, but my diet is restricted as it is, so...yeah. If any other vegans/vegetarians have advice, that would be great.

You may find that eating some of these things do not affect you at all. I eat a low fat, lower sugar diet and little meat. But I don't give a second thought to eating what I want as nothing seems to cause outbreaks.

Oh good...that's encouraging to hear. I don't want to starve!