World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
schmack

tenofovir gel microbicide

schmack

Just posted on cnn today.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/07/19/hiv.gel.protection/index.html

The two-and-a-half-year-old CAPRISA trial followed nearly 900 HIV-negative, sexually active South African women between ages 18 and 40 to determine how safe and effective tenofovir gel was in preventing HIV infection.

Researchers found the gel overall reduced infection by 50 percent after a year and 39 percent after 30 months. In women who used the drug consistently infection was reduced 54 percent. The gel was used up to 12 hours before and within 12 hours of sexual intercourse. The study found the gel also reduced the risk of genital herpes by 51 percent.

Didn't know they were testing this for hsv. In line with my general thinking that our best chance of getting anything for hsv is by researchers stumbling on something while testing it on hiv.

I'll try to do some more research, but immediate reaction is 51%?! That's better than condoms!

schmack

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AIDS-breakthrough-Gel-helps-apf-1309308656.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=6&asset=&ccode=

Some highlights:

"In the study, women used the gel only 60 percent of the time; those who used it more often had higher rates of protection."

"The gel seemed safe -- only mild diarrhea was slightly more common among those using it. Surveys showed that the vast majority of women found it easy to use and said their partners didn't mind it."

"The biggest cost of the gel is the plastic applicator -- about 32 cents, which hopefully would be lower when mass-produced, researchers said."

Most importantly, after years of repeated failures, we may finally have proof that the microbicide concept is sound. How long til they perfect it?

schmack

Starpharma stock up 4 percent today. Let the races begin!

soul5821

So this is a different gel than vivagel???? let's the race begins..., Hopefully in the near future the same it will happens with herpes drugs...

schmack
So this is a different gel than vivagel???? let's the race begins..., Hopefully in the near future the same it will happens with herpes drugs...

Yes this would appear to be competition for vivagel. Starpharma stock up another five percent today though, most likely because we finally have proof that a micobicide works! In people, that is. We already knew vivagel worked in animals.

schmack

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/IAC/21282

HSV-2, Abdool Karin said, is "ubiquitous" and in Africa is found in about half the population. Importantly, it is usually without symptoms in women.

The researchers were interested in seeing what effect the gel -- with a 1% tenofovir concentration -- would have on HSV-2, because a sister molecule, adefovir (Hepsera) is active against the virus, Abdool Karim said.

He and his colleagues looked at blood samples taken when women entered the 30-month study and when they left. Of the 889 women in the study, he said, slightly more than half already had HSV-2 at the beginning of the study and were excluded from the analysis.

Of the 434 who were initially at risk of acquiring the virus, 208 were in the tenofovir arm and 226 were using the placebo gel, he said. After excluding some women with missing data and those whose test results at the end were equivocal, 202 women who got tenofovir and 224 on placebo were considered to have completed the HSV-2 study.

There were 29 new cases of HSV-2 among those getting tenofovir and 58 in the placebo group, Abdool Karim reported, which works out to rates of 9.9 and 20.2 per 100 woman-years, respectively. The incidence rate ratio was 0.49, with a 95% confidence interval from 0.30 to 0.78, which was significant at P=0.003.