World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
helpiamconfused2

HSV 2 or Not

helpiamconfused2

Hi to all, I am new to the Board. I am a male and my early 40's. I have been in a relationship with a lady for a little over 3 years. In late April, she had a rash and had it cultured (to the right of her labia) to be HSV 2. We continued to have sex before she got the diagnosis for about 3 weeks. Most of this was protected via a condom but a couple of times not. Unconfirmed, but she thinks she's had this for 20 plus years, albeit very few outbreaks but one big initial episode 20 years ago.

I freaked. Yes, I freaked when she told me. I had a very small rash on my buttocks - spaced out bumps that my doctor said was heat related. I have been sweating like crazy since she told me this. I had one small bump about an inch from my testicles since then. I broke it, swabbed it with alcohol and had it test within 18 hours of noticing it. This was 6 weeks post sex and it came back negative. I have had 3 IGG specific HSV 2 (HerpesSelect) blood tests since knowing she had it (3 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks) and they all came back negative. My IGM and Combo 1 and 2 tests were marginally positive (1.2 or so).

I have read so much about this and so much of it is inconclusive, confusing and outright frustrating.

My questions are:

1. What are the typical symptoms and outbreak locations for a man?

2. How much can one rely on a HerpesSelect test at 8 weeks?

3. Is it likely to be with someone HSV2 positive, using a condom 60 percent of the time, and not pick up HSV2?

4. I hear viral cultures on the first outbreak are more reliable than subsequent outbreaks. Would breaking the bump (standalone) and swabbing with alcohol keep it from showing positive 18 hours later?

Thanks.

cookie1978
Hi to all, I am new to the Board. I am a male and my early 40's. I have been in a relationship with a lady for a little over 3 years. In late April, she had a rash and had it cultured (to the right of her labia) to be HSV 2. We continued to have sex before she got the diagnosis for about 3 weeks. Most of this was protected via a condom but a couple of times not. Unconfirmed, but she thinks she's had this for 20 plus years, albeit very few outbreaks but one big initial episode 20 years ago.

I freaked. Yes, I freaked when she told me. I had a very small rash on my buttocks - spaced out bumps that my doctor said was heat related. I have been sweating like crazy since she told me this. I had one small bump about an inch from my testicles since then. I broke it, swabbed it with alcohol and had it test within 18 hours of noticing it. This was 6 weeks post sex and it came back negative. I have had 3 IGG specific HSV 2 (HerpesSelect) blood tests since knowing she had it (3 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks) and they all came back negative. My IGM and Combo 1 and 2 tests were marginally positive (1.2 or so).

I have read so much about this and so much of it is inconclusive, confusing and outright frustrating.

My questions are:

3. Is it likely to be with someone HSV2 positive, using a condom 60 percent of the time, and not pick up HSV2?

4. I hear viral cultures on the first outbreak are more reliable than subsequent outbreaks. Would breaking the bump (standalone) and swabbing with alcohol keep it from showing positive 18 hours later?

Thanks.

1. There are no typical signs, cookie-cutter answers. You have what you have, for your own individual case. Your location can vary throught out your life, as the nerve bundles this virus resides at also serve other regions of your "boxer area".

2. You rely on your tests as needed. If you aren't satisfied with your results, do a new test. I'd go with what they say after 3 tests; don't liek to think I *want* this test to come back positive, really.

3. YES.

4. Viral cultures test for the fluid inside of the blisters. If the medical provider sees your lesions and deems them dry, they don't usually do the live culture. Not sure about the prevalescence of the virus when you swab it with alcohol once.

:alberteinstein::itsme:

schmack

My questions are:

Thanks.

The typical outbreak location is the penis. Where exactly was this bump that you swabbed? what did it look like? I would expect that breaking the bump and swabbing it with alcohol would make it impossible to accurately test for hsv2.

An 8 week negative test is a good sign that you don't have hsv2, but I wouldn't consider it conclusive in your case.

Unless you get any other visible symptoms that you can swab (and don't touch them before you swab them), you might consider another blood test in a few months.

Are you still with this girl?