World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
melliebellie

Newly Diagnosed today

melliebellie

I thought my skin chafing was from a swimsuit irritation post brazilian, until I couldn't really walk right. I got checked by my doctor and got the news. I recently saw someone I was somewhat involved with (my last partner), and informed him, and so many emotions are going on in both of our minds. I feel like crap and need someone to talk to. :(

Just finished day 1 of meds. It hurt so badly for me- I've been bedridden most of the day.

RealisticGal

Sorry you are having a tough time. Sounds like at least your partner is somewhat there for you.

How were you diagnosed? What testing was done?

melliebellie

My partner was an ex-boyfriend that is now a friend. Well, now he's disappointed, and while I thought we were on a good note, I think this just brought it back down.

I was diagnosed today by a primary care physician with a cotton swab. They didn't run the lab tests, but she said it's a classic case.

I had similar "chafing" two years ago, bc I was using a medication for HPV then. My doctor suspects a misdiagnosis, but because she doesn't have the cultures from then, she can't confirm. So honestly, i don't really know how long i've had herpes.

RealisticGal

So it sounds to me, since you say they "didn't run the tests," like they only did a visual diagnosis.

You've already had one potentially wrong diagnosis (for HPV). Visual diagnosis of herpes is notoriously inaccurate.

I would highly suggest you get back in for a swab while your lesion is still fresh and INSIST they run cultures and/or get a type specific blood test that checks for IgG antibodies.

melliebellie

Right, just a visual. They are sending the cultures to the lab as we speak. I just had the symptoms of burning and itching while urinating as well as what they saw. I'm taking an antiviral that is helping (as well as a lot of alleve)

That swab touch was the most painful thing thing I've felt, nearly close to wart removal. And the urinating . urgh.

WhyMe1976

I was diagnosed today as well purely by visual. Since reading up on the signs and symptoms however, I don't think the diagnosis was inaccurate (as much as I would like it to be). Anyone know anything about just how misdiagnosed herpes is in this manner?

RealisticGal

mellie, I'm very glad to hear they followed through with the cultures.

whyme, I doubt there are any accurate figures on how often visual diagnoses are inaccurate, but there are plenty of stories about it here.

Also, check out this quote from the site herpesdiagnosis.com:

"A visual examination is only one part of a complete diagnostic work-up. Making a diagnosis of genital herpes by visual inspection and by asking you questions is not easy and even experts can be wrong. For one thing, genital herpes doesn't look the same in every patient; it can "mimic" the appearance of other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and other STD's can look like herpes.

A mild case of herpes can easily be mistaken for something that has nothing to do with STDs such as a pimple, an ingrown hair, or a simple rash. Thus confirming a diagnosis with a laboratory test is critical.

If your health care provider sees any genital lesions, you should ask if this could be herpes and ask if he or she has ordered a laboratory test for herpes. Most authorities and the Centers for Disease Control feel that laboratory tests are important to be sure that what looks like herpes really is herpes. On the other hand, we do not recommend a swab test (for virus detection) if lesions are not seen. In this situation, we recommend asking for a herpes antibody test."

RealisticGal

That swab touch was the most painful thing thing I've felt, nearly close to wart removal. And the urinating . urgh.

Have you tried any of the tips here about how to lessen the pain during urination?