World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
AquariusAngel

Went to a very helpful doctor yesterday...

AquariusAngel

Hey All,

I saw a doctor yesterday who I had never been to before, my sister had recommended her to me. This doctor, Christine who I saw, said there are two main triggers for herpes outbreaks - lack of vitamin C and not being protected by UV rays. She strongly suggested that I take vitamin C tablets twice a day, which I have started doing. She also advised that I should always put sunscreen on my face under foundation etc and use a lip balm every day.

Vitamin C highly supports the immune system and it is a strong fighter against herpes. This applies to OHSV, GHSV and HPV. If you have any active sores, make a paste of vitamin C powder and a few drops of water. It is said to reduce the discomfort and size of the lesions over night. If you have active weeping sores, apply the paste not just on the lesions but all the way around it to prevent it spreading.

She didn't so much agree with my thoughts on diet restrictions lol but she did say that caffeine products and alcohol will deplete our vitaman C intake, so ensure you are taking plenty of vitamin c. Also, the body does not store this vitamin, it will use what it needs and the rest will be excreted through your urine..so don't be surprised if your urine starts to have an orange tinge!

Have any of you been taking Vitamin C tablets? and have you seen a difference or a reduction with your outbreaks?

GntiNh

I've heard of Vit C before, as humans and guinea pigs are the only creatures that can't store it.

Hope it helps on the caffeine front, so I can now send you some chocolate:flowers:

AquariusAngel

Thanks for your reply G and lol to the chocolate and yum :yeahbabyyeah:

GntiNh

Do you like Thorntons? Send me you address and I'll send you some :wavey:

RustySharp33

To much OJ

However at least with cold sores I've heard to much OJ can be bad for you.

AquariusAngel

Rusty,

OJ bad for us? As in because we have herpes, or people in general? I am talking about Vitamin C 'tablets', not orange juice. A lot of fruit juice is not good for anyone, not only is it full of sugar but it has a laxative effect if you drink more than you need. The tablets I have started taking are sugarless too. There is of course vitamin C in many foods but this a supplement, just in case I don't fulfill the daily requirement.

choppedliver

well they talk about vit c and zinc being good for skin healing as well as immunity

they recommend a lysine vitc, zinc combo product. of course u know the lysine acts against the arginine in our diet.

i have asked my physician about all this stuff... he thinks its all weak. bottom line is u got to try keep ur immune system strong. and the best thing is lots of sleep, good diet and possibly a multivit

i dont think there can be a substitute for this

AquariusAngel

To All

I failed to also mention that my doctor did say other things, but that vitamin C was one of the most important things. Vitamin C helps keep the immune system strong, but I am sure that alone, it can not do all the work.

choppedliver: I also entirely agree that diet, exercise and plenty of sleep are very important too. If any of the above are not adhered to, it can cause the immune system to not function adequately, hence we become run down and are then susceptible to an outbreak.

Guest BlondeBunny

that is very interesting. never thought of vitamin C. will have to try. thanks doll.

RealisticGal

For what it's worth, Vitamin C tablets can also have a laxative effect. Any source of Vitamin C can do that. It is because our body cannot store it. So when we get to a certain level of ingested Vitamin C, our body will simply eliminate the excess.

That is a good way to determine your proper dose. Get to the level of loose bowels, then back off just a bit.

AquariusAngel

ok thanks gal, will keep that in mind ;)

RealisticGal

Or, if you are feeling a little backed up, you could take a bit more!

:rolleyes::p:vollkommenauf:

AquariusAngel

LOL :D actually I swear the valtrex does make me that way inclined..so perhaps I will be able to have more vitamin C rather than less of it!

choppedliver

Ok so what do u all take then besides vit c and valtrex.

elmerette

Realistic,

good point...I've been having issues with low potassium, so have been drinking lots of oj, which has vit c, which in turn is causing the runs, which causes potassium depletion....

I've been off of here cause my comp caught a virus...jury is still out on whether it will survive. I've missed everyone as well.

For what it's worth, Vitamin C tablets can also have a laxative effect. Any source of Vitamin C can do that. It is because our body cannot store it. So when we get to a certain level of ingested Vitamin C, our body will simply eliminate the excess.

That is a good way to determine your proper dose. Get to the level of loose bowels, then back off just a bit.