World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Miss Piggy

Question about infecting that I can't find anywhere online

Miss Piggy

Hi everyone,

I'm not 100% sure I have GH2 but I have a feeling that I do... I have been having mild symptoms for some years and have swept them under the rug because I was afraid to face the truth. I didn't go online to read and just completely ignored the signs thinking it must be other things like yeast infections or my IBS or other issues that might cause similar symptoms.

I've been married for many years and in a monogamous relationship in which we've had very little sex so I just kept it to myself and didn't worry about spreading anything- should it be Herpes.

But recently my marriage has been on the rocks- we've been talking about a separation. Then I met this guy with whom I had a crazy physical connection and just went for it. We didn't go all the way but I performed oral sex on him while I think I was during the beggining of a flare up. I didn't know that until I've recently been reading and got my head out of the sand.

The reason for this is that he contacted me to tell me he got an infection and was getting checked and I should do the same. His symptoms weren't inline with HSV2 though. Sore throat, discharge is what he said. He then told me all his results were negative but I doubt they tested him for HSV... I went to get tested too thinking maybe I had something other than HSV but so far all tests came out negative. But I'm still waiting for the blood test results for HSV and should get them any day now.

Sorry- long story short, could I have infected him with oral sex and could his symptoms be associated with HSV? Now if I get my results and they're positive, should i absolutely tell him or is there no way he could have caught it that way? I'm no longer in contact with this guy but if there's a chance he contracted it, I want to do the right thing...

I'm so confused... and I have a bad feeling that I have this...

Oh and then if I do have it, I will have to have a talk with my husband... he may too.

Thanks for your help!

schmack

His symptoms don't indicate herpes at all. And if you do have genital hsv, you would not spread it by giving somebody oral sex. You should get tested.

Miss Piggy

Thank you Schmack for your answer.

I did get tested- waiting for the results which should come in today or tomorrow.

So let's say it's positive, do I absolutely NOT need to tell this guy if we're never going to be intimate again?

From all I've read online I'm very confused about transmission...and it seems to be so contagious that I worry that me giving oral sex is enough to pass it on...

I don't want to inform him if there is no way he could catch it this way though.

RealisticGal

I did get tested- waiting for the results which should come in today or tomorrow.

So let's say it's positive, do I absolutely NOT need to tell this guy if we're never going to be intimate again?

From all I've read online I'm very confused about transmission...and it seems to be so contagious that I worry that me giving oral sex is enough to pass it on...

I don't want to inform him if there is no way he could catch it this way though.

The thing is, there is a good chance you might come back positive for HSV1, since about 80% of the North American population has it. And the guy in question might have already had that too.

If you do have HSV1, the most likely scenario is that you have it orally. And yes, you could potentially pass that to someone in their genital area via oral sex.

If you do come back positive for HSV2, it doesn't necessarily mean you have it in the genital area. The chances are MUCH higher for it to be there, but there are instances of oral HSV2.

If you got tested via a blood test, and it comes back positive for either strain, you won't know where you have it. If you don't have an outbreak of sores that can be swabbed, you can't determine for sure where you have whatever you might have.

As for telling, it's your decision no matter what anyone else says. If it were me, I would ask the guy what he got tested for and what the results were. If he says everything came back negative, I'd ask specifically what all he was tested for. If he says it was a "full STI screening," I would let him know that if he didn't ask specifically to be tested for herpes, he probably wasn't.

I would do this out of respect for another human being and for the sake of education.

The reason herpes keeps spreading is because so many of us out here are ignorant about it. Folks get these "full STI panels," thinking that they tell them the whole truth. But they don't.

Miss Piggy

Thank you Realistic Gal for your input- much appreciated.

I'm still confused about the extent of transmission so here's a hypothetical question:

If someone has Genital HSV2 (and not HSV1 - definitely not on the mouth are) and they perform oral sex on a man who is not infected, get he contract the virus?

Can he only contract it if the woman is symptomatic? Or does it not matter because he can't get it this way?

Thank you.

RealisticGal

I'm still confused about the extent of transmission so here's a hypothetical question:

If someone has Genital HSV2 (and not HSV1 - definitely not on the mouth are) and they perform oral sex on a man who is not infected, get he contract the virus?

Can he only contract it if the woman is symptomatic? Or does it not matter because he can't get it this way?

Okay, hypothetically...

A person has HSV2 in the genital area only. That person DOES NOT have oral HSV2 or HSV1.

Said person with only genital herpes performs oral on an uninfected man.

Said uninfected man has ABSOLUTELY NO skin-to-skin contact with the infected partner's genital area.

The uninfected man almost certainly would not be exposed to/contract herpes from the person performing oral, because there would be no viral particles in her uninfected oral area.

I say "almost certainly" because I believe there are no absolutes with herpes.

Also, I consider the possibility that the infected partner might have oral herpes but be asymptomatic in that area. So she would not know she had it there. In that possible scenario, she could pass it on via asymptomatic viral shedding during oral sex.

Miss Piggy

Thank you Realistic Gal. You've answered my question. :-)

whitechoclate

can u answer me plz?

In a round about sort of way, eh?

can u check my question, please:) I'm new at this and found out that i have H a week ago:( i put a new thread "OB & oral sex transmission"