World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
dustinc

just found out I have HSV-1

dustinc

Just found out I have HSV-1. I have never had any symptoms and was told it was a 2 or 2.5. What does the number mean? How long could I have had this? Is it possible that I could never have an outbreak in the future? I am also concerned about HSV-2. I tested negative but did oral sex 3 weeks prior to getting tested so I am thinking it might not show up yet. Thanks for your help. Oh, one last question...I was told it was oral HSV-1. How do they know I didn't get genital HSV-1. I was given a blood test.

Amalia

The blood test can only tell you what kind of hsv you have - not where. You must get a swab test done from a lesion to know for sure where the location of the hsv is. Have you had any swabs taken? What kind of blood test did you have?

There is lots of info here on the right side of the site. This info can tell you more about hsv and testing.

dustinc
The blood test can only tell you what kind of hsv you have - not where. You must get a swab test done from a lesion to know for sure where the location of the hsv is. Have you had any swabs taken? What kind of blood test did you have?

There is lots of info here on the right side of the site. This info can tell you more about hsv and testing.

I was just told it was a blood test. What does the number mean? I have not had a swab taken because I have never had a lesion.