Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zelectron

09 july 2010: FDA Approves Beech Tree Labs' Oral Herpes IND Application

7 posts in this topic

Cool!!!

I've never heard of it until now, but it definitely sounds very interesting!!!

http://www.beechtreelabs.com/productdevelopment/candidates/herpes

Product Candidate Description

This single molecule has been used by Beech Tree's physicians and veterinarians to address all herpes infections of man and animals. Diseases responding to this approach include herpes simplex types I and II, herpes zoster (chickenpox), shingles, infectious mononucleosis, cytomegalovirus, and Bell’s palsy. Also, herpes infections of dogs and horses also respond quickly.

With a third of the world’s human population expected to suffer a herpes infection this year, the market for a safe product that can be used at the same dose for any such infection is extraordinary.

Laboratory Status

In vitro work conducted by company scientists has show results suggesting that this product inhibits re-assembly of virus particles after infection of cells and virus uncoating. Confirmatory work has yet to be completed. On-going genomics studies are revealing mechanism of action.

Clinical Status

Anecdotal experience by practitioners in the Beech Tree Labs' network indicate that this product candidate induces responses quickly and completely. No adverse effects have been reported.

Path Forward

An IND application focusing on recurrent oral herpes has been approved by the FDA.

So what is it and when will it be available? Is it a pill that you take?

IND means that the FDA gave green light to phase 1 clinical testing. Here's how the clinical trials work:

http://www.coolerheadsblog.com/Clinical%20Trial%20Process.jpg

Phase 1-3 trials take 5 years on average, though they may take up to 10 years in some cases. After that it takes the NDA about 2 years to review the product and after it is approved, it usually takes something like one or two years for the company to start manufacturing it. So in the idealistic scenario the product could enter the market in 3 or 4 years (clinical trials phases 1-3 may in some cases take only 2 years and it may sometimes take the NDA only 2 months to review the product). But realistically speaking, if everything goes well, we could have the product on market in 9, maybe 10 years.

Thanks for posting. Is there any way to stay updated on when they might be conducting clinical trials and such?

so this seems to be the closest thing to a cure? if i am mistaken? bloom is not even in pre clinical yet.

so should we focus on this instead of bloom or bavi? just throwing a suggestion out there!

so this seems to be the closest thing to a cure? if i am mistaken? bloom is not even in pre clinical yet.

so should we focus on this instead of bloom or bavi? just throwing a suggestion out there!

Bloom is in pre-clinical trials, in fact in the last stage of pre-clinicals. After trying the ribozyme in a rabbit model (which is what we raised the cash for) he will have to do some toxicology studies and then he'll apply for IND with the FDA. This stuff is ahead of Bloom, but only slightly (IND has been approved, but so far no phase 1 trials have started) and since very little info has been released on it, we don't know whether it is just another treatment or an actual cure. Bavi on the other hand is in stage 2 and when it reaches the market, it will be possible to have it prescribed by a doc off-label. We should continue working closely with Bloom and keep in touch with Peregrine, but at the same time we should contact Beech Tree Labs and figure out more about their product and the ways we could help. Do they have the funding they need? Did pharma companies express interest in their product? How does their product work? It would be good if Living contacted them, but unfortunately he got banned and an organized group of individuals can't work properly without contact with the president. Who else would have the guts to make a phonecall to a researcher or a pharma company and speak on behalf of the HCC as well as hundreds of millions of HSV sufferers worldwide? Many people on this forum are lazy just to write a stupid e-mail!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• boricacid
      Doesn't sound like herpes to me.  The white head suggests otherwise.  
    • YammyTea
      Get a blood test to confirm if you have HSV2.  
    • thebear123
      I haven't had any cold sores or herpes looking blister appear on my mouth. However, Ive been getting better a lot of pimples due to the heat and sweat while I sleep (hot country).  the other day I was sitting down and relaxing when I suddenly felt a strong tingling feeling over the left corner on my lip. It wasn't on the lil but in the space over it. The feeling lasted maybe thirty minutes or longer but in that span of time that area went from clear to a singular, pimple. The next day it was a white head with a dark center. It was not in a cluster, but another singular pimple appeared over if, but not connected. Can herpes present itself as a pimple or can acne/pimples tingle? happy to answer more questions to clarify any thing I missed 
    • thebear123
      I haven't had any cold sores or herpes looking blister appear on my mouth. However, Ive been getting better a lot of pimples due to the heat and sweat while I sleep (hot country).  the other day I was sitting down and relaxing when I suddenly felt a strong tingling feeling over the left corner on my lip. It wasn't on the lil but in the space over it. The feeling lasted maybe thirty minutes or longer but in that span of time that area went from clear to a singular, pimple. The next day it was a white head with a dark center. It was not in a cluster, but another singular pimple appeared over if, but not connected. Can herpes present itself as a pimple or can acne/pimples tingle? happy to answer more questions to clarify any thing I missed 
    • cherryblossom91
      Yeah that's all he gave me and an antibiotic ointment that I barely used. He was so convinced it was just bacteria so he treated me for such. Never had antivirals hence that being the first time I had an outbreak. It's just weird. All the other std tests came out negative so I'm convinced it was herpes. Idk what else it could have been. 
    • Terrell
      You may wish to understand your immune and what you can do to improve it which should lead to better results 
    • MissPriss
      Hello, I have been experimenting with using heavy applications of a 5% and 7% Docosanol lip balm as a preventative measure for my cold sore outbreaks. I wrote in more detail about my story in the "introduce yourself" section, but thought it might be appropriate to add it to the "treatment zone". There's not a lot of info regarding multiple, heavy applications of topical docosanol as a prevention method, so I guess I'm a guinea pig here, but a happy one. I have been applying the docosanol for a little over 10 months now and have not had a single cold sore or breakout.  I usually get 1-2 a month or 2-3 in the summer time. I have been able to see any reason that there would be any adverse reactions or problems from my constant heavy applications, and from other peoples comments, they said that they think I shouldn't be too concerned.  I haven't noticed any side effects at all.  Just total cold sore suppression which has been a blessing for me.  I have been plagued with cold sores for as far back as I can remember.... Nothing has ever worked like this before, but I have never used any product so rigorously.   My first post was seven months ago when I went 3 months without an outbreak, but now it's been over 10 months, including my dreaded summer season, and not a single out break. I'll keep everyone updated, but this treatment has been a God send for me.  I used to use up all my sick days at work when I got a bad breakout, and I would always be just waiting for the next one to emerge, but I think, so far, I found a way to block them. Hopefully nothing bad happens from over-using docosanol, but I am willing to give it a shot and continue my current multiple daily applications. I'll update in about 6 months or so, hopefully I can keep this streak up.
    • Motherhen32
      Idk what to say.. I'm 34 weeks pregnant (in third trimester) with my first outbreak and diagnostic with hsv 2 which was given to me by my kids father who I've been dating since 2010. Feeling super hopeless and scared haven't told anyone about the virus besides my partner and he isn't showing any emotion to the situation  this morning I woke to blood on my sheets idk where the blood came from but I panicking 
    • Clearme
      Interesting finds! Time permitting I will check out your link! Appears there are many ways to go at this virus with various vectors and Crispr Cas9 gRNAs but who can make it through the FDA quagmire is one question. I didn't include the rest of the article since it is by subscription and I only purchased the 24 hr access and felt it innappriate to include. I believe it is 25$. I eluded to it and the remaining info in another post which generated some attention! My opinion, and take that for its face value, is the Bloom group is approaching this a bit conservatively by using a very specific, historically tested non-virulent vector like rAAV to minimize the risk of exposing the entire CNS with another more pervasive vector and those widespread effects of Crisps Cas9. I believe they may feel if they can get the ball rolling with a specific rAAV via epithelial application, and specific sensory neuronal efficacy, then it might be less risky both from a clinical trial position and a financial investor risk position. Not 100 percent sure but it looks that way to me. Remember Dr. Bloom won the Pepsi Challenge award years ago and used those $ for vector research and development, so maybe he is ahead of the curve on development and testing of vectors. I think I might plan a trip to China if all goes well there!   Are sensory neurons and the eventual terminal end release of virions the only outwardly means of transmission? I believe it is the only real means to test infectious levels, i.e. shedding! So clinically, limiting sensory transduction with rAAV may be a safe and effective metric for testing infectivity and clinical outcome with eventual FDA approval. My .02c
    • Gregor
      Thanks so much Lucy!
  • Featured