World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
persevere

casual sex?! uh yeah thanx for the advice

persevere

hey there. so i've been single for about 9 mos. but still working through some issues from an unhealthy relationship...and to be honest, still trying to get over her. and EVERY ONE of my friends / coworkers /etc has the same advice. "just date! keep it casual! have fun!" basically they are saying: just fuck around.

wtf?! uh sure guys, just one little thing... i have hsv2!!!

and i stopped taking daily suppressive meds after i broke up with my ex because 1) if i'm not in a ltr i don't want to destroy my kidneys/liver with meds and 2) i'd rather use diet/exercise/stress reduction to combat my hsv2, not just take a pill twice a day and continue eating junk, being lazy and stressed...

so here i am a single guy and not even on suppressive meds. so of course i'm scared shitless to even go on a date with someone, much less get naked with them.

i slept with one girl right after i broke up with the ex. i had "the talk" with her and she was cool with it, but it was AFTER we'd drunkenly hooked up and i'd made her come five or six times... if we'd had the talk before hooking up at all, i dunno if she'd be so cool with it. (also things fizzled and she stopped picking up the phone when i called, so of course i got paranoid that it was b/c she decided against sleeping with a guy with hsv2.)

since then i haven't slept with anyone. i've had one or two weird or awful dates where either i didn't make a move out of the forementioned fear, or else did make a move but got solidly rejected.

so... i don't know exactly what i'm getting at here except i'm incredibly frustrated and lonely, and it Pisses Me Right Off to get this advice to "sleep around and have fun" from grinning friends who have no idea that i have hsv2. :madd:

and after many months of no OBs, i have had prodomal pains about three times in the last month -- i'm sure it's from stress (i've been thinking about the ex a lot & not sleeping enough)... but it makes it even harder to feel like "oh it's okay i've got this thing under control / my chances of passing it on are minimal."

and this forum is great and everything - but it kind of worries me to see all these posts from ladies who've had "the talk" and the guy was cool with it... but not very many AT ALL from guys. in general ladies have a much much much easier time finding people who want to have sex with them than guys. so maybe i'm being paranoid and negative (ok there's no maybe about it :rolleyes: )but it just seems like for guys, the landscape is especially bleak, because any girl you like probably has 5 other guys lined up who don't have to have "the talk" or even worry about this shit.

ok. i'm sorry for the rant and i wish i had something useful to say here but i think i just needed to vent.

anyone got any positive words or advice? gentlemen - i'm looking at you here :confused:

thanx for reading this

CurePlease

I'm a dude in the same relationship that I got the herps. But I think about how hard it would be to date if I were single now with this. So I get what you're talking about. I've read that a lot more women have herpes than men. So I'm assuming guys are in high demand on the herpes dating websites. That's where I'd go.

billyhsvone

some things to think about...

Hey persevere,

I completely understand where you are coming from and what you are feeling.

There are a few things to think about which I wanted to bring to your attention.

1 in 4 people have HSV. Positive Singles is a great site to meet women and some dating sites are just for people with Herpes. Positive Singles has people with HIV and HPV. Everyone is upfront with what they have. Cureplease is right. There are a lot more women with HSV than men so you will be in demand. I joined Positive Singles and put up nice picture (visible only to my favorites) and every girl/woman I e-mailed e-mailed me back. You already are bonded together for going through this, which in a strange way is kinda nice. Especially if she is cute.

In terms of your friend or co-workers that are telling you to go sleep around. They don't really know what they are talking about, they are just trying to say in a nice way life is about having a lot of experiences. The truth is if they were in your shoes HSV or not they would have a difficult time getting over the pain of the relationship too.

Also sex is great and all but it really doesn't compare to being in a relationship that is worthwhile. Ultimately that is one of the joys in life, not the empty fantasy we are sold as kids about living in the playboy mansion.

Also having HSV can be freeing. I've found that there is a lot less pressure when I do meet someone and I really would like to get to know them before I have sex with them. You are in control not the other way around.

Hang in there. I've found prayer to be helpful as well as meditating. This is an experience that is painful but will deepen your soul and lead you to finding a lasting partner and make you herculean strong when it comes to dealing with the things that happen in life.

I hope this helps.

- billy

slimjim26

sex is easier

I agree that women have an easier time being excepted with non H partners when it comes to sex. I believe this is the only part. With that being said, women usually have a more difficult time with ob's. Sex is great but once the newness of the relationship wears off the playing field is equal. Think of this disease as a way of forcing you to focus on the more meaningful aspects of a relationship. Be patient (better said than done) and focus on things that you enjoy doing. I hope this helps :)

QDogg

hey bro i know exactly how you feel. im about a month in, and up to this point i have had a pretty healthy sexlife. one that i don't want to give up! so i'm still mulling it over cause its a lot to think about. your not the only one. this shit is something to think about. check out my thread "so many thoughts"

good luck brotha

listentometalk

Pretty much 90% of dudes with HSV2 are in your boat, bud. Like others have said, just bombard the STD dating sites and hit Craigslist often, and respond to anyone and everyone. I wouldn't necessarily turn down dates in real life, but you gotta be careful to give them the talk early on, before things get physical (which can happen extremely fast, I know). And be mindful of who you tell - if they're a coworker, friend of the family, etc., I'd just give them an excuse for not having instead of telling them, unless you're cool with everyone knowing.

lostyourLOVE

psh

it is soo not easier for girls i think girls just post more on here so it seems that way but there are tons of non-herps girls out there why would a non-herp guy ruin his life for a girls with hsv. trust me there are plenty of girls w/ and without herps that will be cool with it dont stress

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • TerribleAtUserNames
      Oh, sorry, I think the catchy title I used was very misleading. And I didn't intend that. I put 'miracle cure' as air quotes because I don't actually think I've discovered a true cure. I mean, I still can get outbreaks, the virus is obviously still there. I like to at least think I'm not that arrogant or naive. 🙄 I had not definitively said anything for a couple reasons, including that I don't prefer making overly definitive statements to things I don't know.  And I was more talking with regard to what you were saying in your second paragraph in your most recent reply, whether tissue absorption had any additional effect to simple topical application. So, hopefully that's cleared up. But it is effectively a functional cure for me. In so far as I've gone from permanent outbreaks to one maybe every... 8ish months? I barely remember I have it.  And the point is that the virus has really impacted some people's lives. To the point where they take crazy--high risk--'treatments' or think about self harm. And if some other people can get the relief I've gotten from something so stupidly simple, I want them to be able to have that too. Especially given that the risk-reward ratio is--in my opinion at least--very favourable. I mean, its like literally 20-30 seconds of isopropyl alcohol a day. If it doesn't do jack for you in two weeks, move on--y'know? But I assume if it acts a particular way for me, it will likely act that way for at least someone else. And that could really change someone's life... Like it did mine.  Cheers, 
    • Cas9
      @TerribleAtUserNames OK, you need to understand the science. Alcohol does not seep into a nerve cell and kill the latent virus; That's a scientific fact. So you don't need to worry about checking. All the alcohol does is kill the virus on the skin surface. Whether it gets a little deeper in the skin layers and kills virus better than soap and water, I can't say for sure. Obviously, popping a blister and using alcohol will have a more drying effect than soap and water. The bottom line is that killing a herpes virus is easy when it's outside the nerve cell. Killing it in a nerve cell is difficult because anything that gets into the cell and kills the virus (breaking up it's dna), must not also damage the cell's dna. You need a smart bomb to do that. That's what gene editing is. It is programmed to have the ability to cut out dna segments specific to the virus without touching the cells dna. You have this image of the cell as a container and the alcohol just pours into it and kills the virus. If that was the case, it would destroy the cell's dna also. Cells are living things that have receptors on their cellular surface. Anything that gets into that cell, must have the protein that matches with one of the cell's receptors (like a key to a lock), which in turn causes the cell to let the substance enter. That's one method of how something gets in a cell. Do you honestly think that in all the decades that great scientific minds have tried to tackle this problem, that they simply missed your alcohol cure? C'mon man!!!      
    • dont quit!17
      That would be nice to have as an option. 
    • dont quit!17
      The momentum slowed down, when that forum member asked for a timeline. That is the last thing we should be asking. That's pretty frustrating. 
    • TerribleAtUserNames
      Hey everyone, thanks for responding! So you know, I updated the original post with negative effects I've experienced with alcohol as treatment, so feel free to check that out if you're curious.  Now, to what you guys were saying...    MaxTX: I actually use alcohol as my disinfectant of choice for most wounds. And sutiability seems to vary based on the type of alcohol used (says the internet). That being said, you are right apparently--but this isn't about the best wound treatment method. Its about stopping outbreaks. Regardless, I suspect the deleterious effects are fairly minor if you're trying to disinfect most wounds, but that's totally my personal opinion.  None the less, I'd suggest giving it a shot for outbreak prevention. It certainly works for me, hopefully it will for you too. And compared to taking an experimental vaccine or something like that, wouldn't this be easy and super low risk to try? Also if you google 'herpes' and 'alcohol' you can find a number of hits suggesting its use as a disinfectant for the sores.   Tired of Waiting: I'm sorry, it was a long time ago that I read her talking about it. But from what I remember, she was talking about wiping down there with alcohol, and how it helped with her outbreaks. I remember her also saying it burned like a mofo at first, but eventually became kinda second nature. I don't know what type of alcohol she used, sorry. Again, if you're concerned, maybe ask your doctor about safety? Like I said, isopropyl has worked well for me. I actually do use it before sex for that reason, back when I was having sex that is. Across 3 partners used with, no known infections--but given that I have hsv 1, and like 50-60% of the population is infected already, but only 10% present with symptoms, that could mean nothing. Unfortunately, I'm not a doctor, and certainly not one that has researched this scientifically, so I can't give you a firm answer for transmission prevention during sex. Personally, I'm confident in at least isopropyl alcohol's herpes killing abilities, even if just topically. For better or worse, real or imagined (but I suspect real), I let myself relax a lot more when using it before sex.  And then again after sex, for my own sake, hahaha, as I'm not overly keen on risking anything else. However, even this is something to consult a doctor about--I feel like there is conflicting information on whether it can be helpful post coitus, or whether it can actually increase the risk of getting an sti vs. simply washing. Imo, do some research and ask a physician to confirm or deny what you've learned.   Cas9: Soap and water never worked anywhere close to as well for me. Soap and water still meant permanent outbreak. So I suspect the alcohol is doing much more. I should clarify though, that I do actually dilligently use soap and water as well--the whole regular bathing thing 😁 I know you suggested to Tired of Waiting that it wouldn't affect outbreak frequency or the latent virus. I can't obviously check my own latent virus levels, but yes I can still get outbreaks if I stop using the alcohol. However I can, indeed, use it as a prophylactic for outbreaks, and it does prevent me from getting them the vast majority of the time. Perhaps because that kind of tissue is more absorbent or something? Or perhaps when topically applied the alcohol is significantly more potent and herpes unfriendly--which I believe really is also the case from what I've read. I know though that I can't discontinue alcohol treatment for more than 6ish days (my limit so far) without flaring up again. And with twice daily showers, that would strongly imply that soap and water is really not helping the same way.  Cheers, guys! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.