World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Klassyfide

Hello

Klassyfide

I was diagnosed approx. 5 years ago and have been celibate since and on daily Valtrex for the same length of time with abosolutely NO breakouts.

While it's likely i will remain alone and die alone..."IF" I do find the opportunity to be in a relationship, I really don't feel the need to reveal this to my partner at this point in time because of the lack of any breakouts over such a long period of time.

RealisticGal

A lot of folks who have minimal to no outbreaks seem to think that makes it okay to not disclose to a potential partner. But there is absolutely no guarantee that said potential partner would have a similar course with herpes if they got it from you. They might have horrible, back-to-back outbreaks, even while on medications.

Read about "What is Viral Shedding?" in the links on the right side of this page. Just because you don't have outbreaks, doesn't mean you don't have viral particles at the skin level. It absolutely does not mean you can't transmit herpes to someone else when not having symptoms.

In fact, that's probably how the majority of folks do get herpes.

This doesn't mean you couldn't have intimate relations ever again. But you really ought to think twice about disclosing and giving your potential partner a choice in the matter.

If you don't disclose, you are lying by omission. Not a great way to initiate trust in a supposedly intimate relationship. And why would you want to "get busy" with someone you can't trust?

JBnATL

There is always a risk of transmission

So the right thing to do would be to disclose since there is always a chance even without an outbreak.

If you don't get outbreaks why do you take meds? Let your body get used to dealing with it without the crutch of taking meds.

Most get it from someone who does not know they have it, but if someone gets it from someone who does know, then that is not right.

Good luck!

JB