World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
matrix452

Increasing IGG Numbers

matrix452

If you had an IGG Elisa Type Specific test done at 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 12 weeks, and 14 weeks and they all yielded negative, but the antibodies number kept increasing, is this a sign that my body is building up antibodies and that I will turn positive?

My most recent results are as follows:

HSV 1 - 0.5

HSV2 - 0.81

INDEX: <0.9

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

lookingforanswers123

The answer to your question is "NO" as well as unkown. Meaing the increasing number number if under 0.91 means you are negative the only reason that number changes is due to the titiers of the test meaning they need a control number to show that the test is working. What that means is you will never get a 0.00 and if you do the test was probably faulty. If you took the same blood sample and they ran another test your number is vey likely to be different. As long as it is under the 0.91 you are "Negative". The only thing about the serological testing that is troublesome is that it is not as sensitive to HSV1 as it is to HSV2. Tehy say the test wil miss 10 - 15 % who are infected. I have seen this number published from a study done by Wald and Marrow at the University of Washington where they do the Western Blot test for HSV.

There is always the chance your body has not built up enough antibodies to be detected but for most people 90 % + they will have developed detectable antbodies by this time.

newlyaware

Western Blot

You can request a Western Blot test for confirmation.

RustySharp33

What if your IGG score is going down

What does that mean if you over the 1.10?

And if the tests are about 2 months apart?

Thanks.

lookingforanswers123

Rusty,

Your question has many different answers. IT depends if the number is well over 1.1 basically 3.5 or greater most of the experts will tell you that is a confirmed positive result. The experts will salso say if the number is below a 3.5 they recommend testing with a Western Blot to confirm what the ELISA IgG is showing. If you have HSV1 it has beenknow tro affect the HSV 2 testing that is why they will always recommend an equivical or low positive to be confirmed by Western Blot. If you are having symptoms such as a lesion get that cultured by PCR. Also if you had a baseline and the number is increasing and when they say increasing a number over the positive line then yor body could be building the anitbodies to fight the virus. For those where the number is increasing from 0.14 to 0.65 those numbers are still negative and that is what they are negative. I hope this helped and did not confuse you. The hard part about herpes testing is that even many doctors get it wrong. I found a few on the med help web site that are very good at translating results on HSV testing.