World's Largest Herpes Support Group
blackwatch

Try Purell.

blackwatch

I have had this herpes disease HSV2 since March 2005. Between March and May I had 4 outbreaks. Since the beginning of June I have been using Purell with Aloe (No reason for the aloe it was simply sitting in my medicine cabinet) 3 times per day. Once in the morning after I shower, again after I arrive home from work, and again before I go to bed.

So far I have been outbreak free, I realize it has only been a little over 2 months but considering how often I was getting it before it feels like a cure.

The outbreaks occur at the base of my shaft and I only put the Purell there.

Please try it yourself, maybe there is something to it. I only use a drop or two sometimes it burns, so don't over do it.

I am somewhat heartened that Pfizer is the owner of Purell and they do not seem to have any Herpes drugs in their pipeline. If people discover that this works, I am sure they will properly study it.

I will post again if something happens.

blackwatch

It's still working

I just want to encourage people to try the Purell. I can understand if you are a woman you would be afraid of using something like Purell down there. In fact, my girlfriend asks me to wash off the Purell in case the alcohol might affect her "chemical balance".

But if you are a guy and get outbreaks often like I did, please try this therapy. It doesn't cost much, I have no personal interest in Purell (I definitely don't own the company). It is owned by Pfizer, so if many people try it and it prevents outbreaks for them too, I am sure Pfizer will try to investigate the possibilities that it can prevent shedding.

The other good thing about Purell is that I can get it almost anywhere and if I leave it exposed somewhere nobody would suspect that I have HSV2.

Anyway, if you can post your experiences we might be able to give ourselves a new option to treat this.

Thanks

Guest Guest

Larger Area

What if its a larger area? Do you think it will still be safe? and work.

tohealth

Purell is just dressed up ethyl alcohol. http://purell.pfizer.com/faq.aspx#q21

It?s far cheaper to just buy stock ethyl alcohol because buying Purell means you?re paying for the pretty dispenser and some fancy marketer?s 6 figure salary?pardon me, 7 figure salary. And Purell only has 62% ethyl alcohol vs. 100% in stock solution. Moreover, it?s an antiseptic, and most people already have one in their medicine cabinet---isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, e.g., or at their bar---a bottle of vodka.

Topically, it has absolutely no effect on herpes outbreaks, anymore than antimicrobial soap has, because it has nothing to do with the viral replication that causes the outbreak that?s pushing the virus to the skin surface continuously---and unless you are soaking in the alcohol 100% of the time, it doesn?t even really change that for long. Many people who infected somebody with herpes and had no visible outbreak had taken a bath or shower using antimicrobial detergents not long before the encounter.

I think 35 Purell wipes (containing only 62% ethyl alcohol) per container cost around $5; whereas stock ethyl alcohol (ethanol) cost about $.44 / liter. So maybe forget Purell but get some Pfizer stock.

blackwatch

A reply to whoknows and tohealth

Well first I really don't know if applying it over a larger area is good or bad. I would say try it and see. Just use a drop or two, three times a day like I suggested above, over the different areas that are affected.

Tohealth, well you might be right and I coincidentally stopped having outbreaks after I put on the Purell. I don't know for sure but that is why I opened this discussion.

All I can say is in a few days it will be three whole months that I have been outbreak free. Prior to that I had 4 outbreaks in about two and a half months. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

With regard to ethyl alchohol, you might be right but don't forget there is the vitamin E, Aloe, and whatever ingredient they use that keeps the Purell in a gel like form. I don't use the wipes. The price is negligible, I bought a dispenser with 236ml (sorry its metric in Canada) for 5 bucks, and six 15ml purell bottles to leave in my car, toiletry bag, office etc. in case I need to use it and am not at home. Judging by whats left I am guessing I have nine months or more left of Purell. So it is very cheap.

Finally, since Pfizer the owner of Purell, is a pharmaceutical company they would likely be interested in studying the possibility that Purell might be able to help people with herpes. Whereas, your common off the shelf ethyl alcohol maker would not be interested or have the ability in persuing the research needed to see what may be happening.

Anyway, in a few days, once I acheived three months being outbreak free I will write more about my experience, maybe it will help others and lets hope it affects the shedding.

tohealth

Well blackwatch, here's to your continued good health! I'd add don't underestimate the power of your immune system which truly does amazing things for us.

blackwatch

Three months, so far so good.

I said I would write about my experience with Purell once I got to three months without an outbreak, so here I am. Let me be specific my last outbreak appeared on May 23, and healed on May 29.

March 15, 2005 is when this whole story started. On that day I noticed two minor irritations one at the base of my shaft and the other near the middle of my shaft. I am, and was in a faithful relationship so I had no reason to suspect that after seeing this woman for over a year that I could get infected with an STD, especially so late in a relationship. (My doctor later told me that she or I may have been infected for years without showing symptoms, my girlfriend strongly believes she is still not infected). As I thought they were two coincidental ingrown rogue hairs I tried to pull them out with a pin. This in retrospect was probably the worst thing I could have done because it probably spread the virus and or increased my viral load because I kept the wound from healing. About a week later I started to develop the cluster of blisters at the base of my shaft.

Since then I have had outbreaks on April 13, May 8, and finally on May23. The last one was the most disappointing because although I was reading that outbreaks become less frequent with time, my outbreaks were becoming more frequent.

With an imminent trip overseas I remembered that I once applied Purell to my blisters and noticed that the itchiness stopped (for those of you who presently have an outbreak try the Purell if the itchiness stops this therapy may work for you). I decided to leave with the Purell and my prescription Valtrex. I would use the the Purell until an outbreak would force me to use the the Valtrex. For no special reason I decided to use the Purell in the morning after I showered, the evening and before I went to bed. Occasionally when I would feel a little itchy, I would apply an extra drop, and the itch would go away. As lately this is becoming more of an experiment I am more commited to staying solely with the three applications a day.

In a few days, once I have been 3 months without any obvious symptoms I will make an appointment with my doctor to see if applying Purell down there is safe. If he says it is safe I will continue using this therapy for at least another 3 months, after which I will slowly reduce my daily applications to nothing. I need to know if it is the Purell or my body that is keeping me outbreak-free.

Please try and use this therapy. Please post your methodology and your results, hopefully many of you will have been just as successful as I have been. If that is the case maybe Pfizer the owner of Purell will investigate if this could be a cheap therapy against herpes. Maybe it would even stop contagious shedding.

blackwatch

Okay I said I would see my doctor after 3 months of being symptom free. Well I did just that this week. In a nutshell my doctor says that Purell shouldn't harm me, but he doesn't feel that it is helping me.

I have to say that most doctors, unless they see scientific studies, will never believe that a patient is being helped by something that is not proven.

That is why I am posting my experiences. If I do it, hopefully you will too. Good or bad. If others are experiencing what I am then maybe Pfizer will look into this, and perhaps this could be an inexpensive therapy, and maybe this would help with contagious shedding.

I would just like to add that I sleep late, eat nuts and chocolate, drink coffee, and sometimes have incredible stress. In spite of all these "triggers" I have still been symptom free for all this time.

So please try this therapy and post your experience. It is working for me so far.

Guest Guest

Dear Friend,

Anyupdate on Purell? How did the last month go?

blackwatch

4 months and 1 week, and all is well.

Still outbreak free after four months and one week.

I would really like people to try this, and post whatever results they get, good or bad. Not really sure if women can use this though.

If it does work, I think I have an idea why. If I experience continued positive results, I'll elaborate a few months from now. I don't think it is simply the ehyl-alcohol killing off the virus though.

I hope this helps with shedding, although my doctor says men don't shed; he says that if I keep an eye on myself and not have sex while there are blisters or obvious signs of an outbreak, I won't infect my partner. Hell I don't know what to believe anymore.

Guest Guest

Re: 4 months and 1 week, and all is well.

Still outbreak free after four months and one week.

I would really like people to try this, and post whatever results they get, good or bad. Not really sure if women can use this though.

If it does work, I think I have an idea why. If I experience continued positive results, I'll elaborate a few months from now. I don't think it is simply the ehyl-alcohol killing off the virus though.

PLease elaborate now, why wait for few months? If it proves out to be wrong so what? So many great ideas have been proven wrong. Please do not hesitate, share and let us all grow together.

blackwatch

Okay I will tell you what I think is going on and why.

When I started applying the Purell, now 4 months and three weeks ago, I noticed that after a few days the tip of my finger felt a little different, a slight numbness. Not that it was bad and that I couldn't feel things, just a slight difference almost like I was wearing latex on that part of my finger. I started washing my finger after every application of Purell and the "numbness" started wearing off.

It got me thinking that maybe it is not that the Purell that is killing the virus but rather the Purell was affecting certain nerves on my skin. From what I have been reading the Herpes virus travels from the ganglia along the nerves till it reaches the skin and that is where we get the outbreaks and blisters. Always the same general area.

So I began speculating that maybe the Purell did something to the nerves and caused the virus to stop progressing. No blister would form because it didn't reach its' destination. It somehow would stop and my bodies immune system would have a chance to combat the virus.

As I am not a doctor I was afraid to relate this until my sixth or seventh month being ob free. It is just my speculation

By the way whatever numbness I had on my finger, I can't really say that I feel something different down there. I still have the same sexual experiences as I had before, so I can't say it has affected me in a bad way.

The only thing I can add, is that I am still outbreak free (almost 5 months), however, about 3 days ago I noticed three small bumps almost like three pimples starting to appear in a different area from where I originally got my outbreaks. This time not on my shaft but on my body or pubic area. I applied the Purell there about 4 times per day since, and the irritation has practically disappeared. Now I don't know if this was HSV or simply an actual pimple, but I will keep you posted if it comes back. (Just want to add about this episode, that I heavily drank coffee during the weekend prior to me seeing the irritations, if it was the beginnings of an outbreak I think that the coffee may have played a role. I usually have about 4-5 cups of coffee a week that weekend I may have had 5 or more cups)

Guest Guest

Most probably HSV, I have tried Zinc in the past and some thing similar happened it changed its place.

blackwatch

I have suspicions it may have moved. I read that years ago people would graft skin over their outbreak area only to have the outbreaks appear elsewhere.

I am curious about your zinc experience please tell me what you did and what happened and after how long.

In the meantime I haven't had an outbreak, the irritation disappeared after 3 days. I have stopped applying the Purell in the new location and am continuing applying it in the original location. Next time I'll wait and see what happens.

I need to know if there is any use in continuing with this.

Guest Guest

I applied zinc gluconate to it twice daily on the belief that it may be a cure as I had read on the web.

It did work in a sense that I did not get outbreaks in the same place again. But guess what, I had a very serious outbreak elsewhere and I said to myself enough is enough I went on aciclovir about 2 years back but now I am agian building my knowledge and intend to try naturals once again, I am sort of convinced that it has to be an internal as well as external approach, I am looking at OLE and Monolaurin(or virign coconut oil) for internal use.

blackwatch

Since I started using the Purell on a continuous basis this past June, I have never had an outbreak. So I can't really say how the Purell would react in that instance. However, during my first or second outbreak I did try it but only once, and that's when I noticed that the itch would go away. After I had my fourth outbreak I just decided to try it and see what would happen.

In less than a week I will be outbreak free for five months. It is true I did have an irritation in another area about a week ago, but if it was the beginning of an outbreak the Purell did beat it back and I didn't experience another outbreak.

For now I will continue applying the Purell on the original area. If I get another irritation in elsewhere, I may wait and see what happens. I do have choraphor, and I am sitting on 60 tablets of Valtrex. So I have options if things get out of hand.

This is simply my guesswork that is guiding me. One thing for sure I am very worried about ingesting unproven remedies. Just don't want to worry about something like my kidneys failing.

SL66

I would think that if the Purell you are using contains Aloe, that is what could be helping. I have read that Aloe is a great supplement to fight Herpes. I think I may try some.

blackwatch

I would just like to update all of you concerning my experience with Purell. In a nutshell, so far so good.

I am now 6 months without an outbreak and I feel confident that the purell is somehow working.

I want to highlight an observation with regard to the three bumps I had about a month and a half ago. About three weeks ago I developed a lone bump just below where the pubic hair starts to grow. This time I decided not to put Purell on it just to see what would happen. About 5 days later the sole bump went away on its own. Just to let you know I continued putting Purell on the original area as I always did in the past. Now I don't know if those three bumps a month and a half ago or the lone bump three weeks ago were H, but let's assume they were.

My history as you can plainly see from my past posts showed that I was was having outbreaks every 25 days or so, and the last episode recurred after a shorter interval.

Since the end of May I have been using this treatment and have not had one overt blistered episode. I may have had an H episode with regard to the three bumps but they went away within three days of me applying the Purell. And a subsequent one bump episode went away on its own after 5 days.

I think I can conclude that if the Purell is the agent that is preventing these outbreaks it may be doing so by giving my immune system more time to fight the virus.

I really don't understand what is going on but the fact is I was on the cusp of deciding to go on suppresive therapy and now 6 months later I am getting the results as if I were on suppresive therapy.

Purell is topical, and my doctor who frankly thinks only meds can help with herpes, says that there are no side effects from using the Purell down there. Purell with aloe is a common hand sanitizer that you can get from the pharmacy. It doesn't cost much and I think it is worth a try before you start using other non-pharmaceutical remedies.

To SL66, have you started with the Purell? What was your past experience with herpes? Are you using the Purell 3 times a day like myself and are you washing every morning? Somehow I think that good hygiene is a factor in staving off the disease.

Now where do we go from here? Well I will continue as discussed for about another month or so, then I will start reducing the frequency of the applications. I would like to use it only once a day after I shower that way it becomes easy to remember and administer. I may even stop using the Purell altogether to see if it is the Purell that is working against the virus. Also I would like to see others use this remedy. If we can get at least 5-10 people successfully using this approach I think Pfizer the owner of Purell may study this further.

Please try it and let's see what happens, good or bad, it is worth trying this out.

Just as an aside, I drink green tea about three times a week and pure cranberry juice about 4 times a week. I just want to let people know because I have read that these two liquids could help with H. I drink them because I have always done so and am drinking these beverages only because I like the taste.

SL66

Yes Black, I did get some and damned if it didn't seem to work for me as well. Stopped the itching right off and the blisters healed in no time.

But brother, read my post on Olive Leaf extract. Not only did that stuff work but my bumps never even blistered. AT ALL!! They started healing almost as soon as I started applying the stuff. I'm dancin'!!! :D

blackwatch

SL66, I'm happy that the Olive Leaf extract worked. But I would like to know if you were continuosly using the Purell 3 times a day before you got the blisters. I am hoping that if people use the Purell on a continous basis they may not get any blistery outbreaks. Or were you just using the Purell when you got an outbreak.

If you were just using it episodically why don't you try it continuosly.

atlantis

Irritation Relieved by Purell (Not a Real OB)

I had an irritation and small pimple or bump for days, this was by no means an actual OB, I started applying Purell yesterday and I'm completly relieved of the irritation today and the pimple almost disappeared.

Here are more links on killing viruses with alcohol, Purell may actually be therapeutic, Im going to keep trying it.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=266254

Jojoba alcohol apperently goes below the skin. Maybe Purell too.

http://www.pharmcast.com/Patents100/Yr2005/Feb2005/022205/6858232_Transdermal022205.htm

Alcohol kill viruses on contact. Of course alchol evaporates quickly. Does the gel in Purell help is stay longer on the skin? If the mucous membrane, is protected by the gel, does the immune system takes care of the rest?

The mucous membrane has the only dendrites compatible with the HSV 1 and 2, thats why this is the only regions where you can get infected. Read about it.

Also, I wonder if Germ Free 60 will help reduce shedding. Read about it:

http://www.info-control.com/healthandsafety.htm

blackwatch

I am very happy that Purell seems to have a positive result with you. Please keep trying it and maybe it will eliminate your OB's.

I read the links about Germ Free 60 and Jojoba oil. They were very interesting, it sounds like they both might affect HSV. The Germ Free 60 sounds like it may be more powerful than Purell, and the jojoba study reflects some of what I have been experiencing.

I am discovering that there may therapeutic value to topically treating HSV. I cannot count how many times a topical treatment has been suggested.

The thing I like about the Purell aside from the fact it seems to be helping with my OB's is that the owner Pfizer has the capacity and the knowledge to scientifically study the possibilities that this might affect viral shedding. Let's hope if we get enough people trying this, they may actually study this.

I hope you will continue with the Purell, let us know how often you are having your OB's and if the Purell seems to be working for you.

Good Luck.

blackwatch

I am now 7 months and still no blistery outbreak. The closest I had to getting something was a couple of red spots in my crotch area above my member. The last time was December 5, I had two spots that went away after two days of Purell being applied.

It is clear to me that the Purell is affecting the HSV. It is simply much more than a coincidence that my outbreaks stopped after I started using this therapy. I just really wish more people would try this and post their experiences. The few that have, have reported rather positive feedback, but still we need more of you trying this simple remedy and posting your replies.

For myself I will begin using the Purell less. I will go from three applications a day to not more than two. I want to eventually go to one application in the morning after I shower. I may apply it more if I get a real outbreak or these red bumps, (will go to the doctor next time it happens, I need to know if it is HSV or just a skin condition). Even if it is HSV, it is much less powerful than the blistery outbreaks, less scary too. And the Purell seems to make quick work with whatever it is.

I know I sound like a broken record and it is disheartening to see that few people have posted their experiences what for me is a very practical and powerful remedy. But if at least 10 people post similar experiences to mine, I hope that Pfizer the owner of Purell might investigate this and see if it protects people from asymptomatic shedding.

Will wait to see what you have say.

Happy Holidays

Snowwhite

Any Hand Sanitizer May Do the Job.....Who knows

Well, I am not claiming anything for anyone else but if I can be of help to someone else I should tell about my experiences with GermX hand sanitizer. I got an outbreak the other day and I didn't have any Purell to try so I tried Germ X hand sanitizer. The next day my outbreak was nearly completely healed. I applied it again using a q-tip and the ob is gone. So that leads me to believe that maybe any hand sanitizer works.