World's Largest Herpes Support Group
blackwatch

Try Purell.

blackwatch

Hi Everyone:

I thank all of you for trying this. In my opinion it does help in preventing outbreaks. Best of all it is cheap and no one is laughing all the way to the bank.

I want to report that I had an OB at the beginning of September. I was on a trip and had very little sleep. I used the Purell as normal ie twice a day so I am a little disappointed because I figured I was breaking almost every rule ie drinking coffee and alchohol, eating nuts, dealing with stress. The only time I had an unusually different episode is earlier this month when I got an OB after traveling and working on 3 hours of sleep.

In anycase, I want to also report that the Purell seemed to stall the OB and I did not observe any blisters, (although previously I would get this cauliflower type blister that would would form into one large blister). Once I returned home three days later, I used Valtrex for two days and the OB was gone.

Look everyone, I am not trying to sell anything I definitely think that Purell will do two things. It somehow fights off the development of an OB. Second, I think that once an OB develops it somehow affects or slows the process. I think that any alchohol based hand sanitizer will work, so for those of you in Europe you can probably find something in your local pharmacies.

Now, I am aware that maybe my body is just fighting off this virus and after time all off us have less frequent outbreaks. That is why I am thinking of stopping the use of Purell in about three moths just to see how frequent my OB's will be without using anything.

I will keep you all posted and thanks for trying this and posting your results.

RoLLeRCoaSTeR

To Blackwatch

Hey, I've been reading through your progress and finding out whether Purell could be an answer. From what I read I'm definitely willing to try it out. My outbreaks come and go similar to yours did before. So I'm up to test this. I'm starting tomorrow, 1/11/07

bledflower

im taking it this would not be good in a vagina. being a girl sucks.

Hawk

I was just thinking the same thing..what alternative option for purell does a woman have??

ugh...

I have purell around me at my job everywhere..

Guest kwest

yeah whats the deal for head application?

seems like it'd be fine for shaft/pubic area, but what about the head?

i'm in my first outbreak and its mostly foreskin and a couple head bumps, i dont think this can work for me right now, but i wouldnt mind applying the purrell as i'm FUCKING TERRIFIED of whats to come and want to take any steps i can to not ever have to deal with this on a regular basis..

only thing i'm still doin is smokin weed..

i get at least 8 hours of sleep altho its on a different schedule from everyone else, plan to start excercising and i bought lysine high foods and vitamins yesterday

i wanna do whatever i can to make this easier on myself

so again: whats the deal with applying this to the head? probably not a good idea?

kayla1987

Im a female

I really want to give this purrell thing a try. But unfortunately i have a vagina. lol...I wouldn't dare put it in my vagina as I dont think i get any outbreaks inside of it. but as for the lips...(sorry) around the lips if i lightly put it on there do u think it would irritate my chemical balance?

shocked2hear

Depends

I think it depends on the individual. Some women are more sensitive than others down there. As for me, I am not very sensitive when it comes to soaps and stuff, so I am going to give it a try. I will make sure not to get it into the opening, which I think could cause problems. I get one bump on the pubic hair area and another on the back side, but are not too close to where I would worry. I just used purel for the first time today and put it on with a cue tip. It did sting a little but it relieved the itch.

basa9952

I am actually in the late stages of an outbreak right now..basically waiting for the scab to heal. This is the most annoying aspect for me because I dont get any pain during outbreaks, usually just 3 or so small red pimples that turn into small cuts. Then they form one big scab/blister. Its probably too late for the purell to kick in at this point but Im gonna apply it 3 times day anyways and see if it heals quicker.

Either way I am going to apply this every day and see if it helps.

SL66
SL66, I'm happy that the Olive Leaf extract worked. But I would like to know if you were continuosly using the Purell 3 times a day before you got the blisters. I am hoping that if people use the Purell on a continous basis they may not get any blistery outbreaks. Or were you just using the Purell when you got an outbreak.

If you were just using it episodically why don't you try it continuosly.

I found that if you pop the blister(s) with a pin (swabbed with Purell) and then swab spot with Purell (or any hand sanitizer I believe) it will work. I still have outbreaks though not as often. I make sure I have some Acyclovir (purchased from WalMart, 800mg, $30, split in 2's or 4's) and my trusty Olive extract the area clears up in a few days.

I read today about BHT therapy. I'm still researching it but I'm thinking about trying this. What it does is unwraps the virus of its protective shell so that the immune system can pull out its can of whup ass on it. Used in conjunction with St John's Wort daily, it supposedly will kill the virus eventually. By that, I mean permenantly. No more Herpes!

I'm just worried about giving this crap to someone else. Myself personally I can live with it. But I would never want to inflict someone else with this malady.

basa9952

My last breakout cleared up probably a month and a half ago..since then I have been using purell every day, minimum 3 times. I haven't had an outbreak thus far. It hasnt been too long but I must say I have been eating a lot of junk food and drinking more alcohol than usual which as we all know can be a trigger. I also had a cold which certainly would lower my immune system and make me more vulnerable to an outbreak.

So far so good, I am going to continue using Purell..will continue updating you guys as well.

goatboy5217

Trying Purell During an OB

Well, this is the first time in my life I've ever turned to support forums or anything like that relating to Herpes. I've had cold sores since I can remember, I am 28 and got them from my grandmother as a baby.

Apparently in the early 80's nobody new better......Anyways, I've always gotten cold sore..Maybe 2 or 3 times a year in the past couple years...a little less when I was younger.

Since Feb. 4th of this year, I've had 2 bad colds, the first time, for about a week, and this last time...4 weeks (inlcuding now..still trying to recover) in the past 3 months, I've had an OB, none real bad except the one now and one other....but I've felt like I've had forming or about to bust out almost every week for the past 3 months.

Right now I have it on my lip, I noticed it forming last night, Yesterday took 2 grams of Valtrex about 6 and another gram at around midnight.

Woke up this morning, took half a gram before work. Seemed to be working until I got home, now I've taken another gram and half of Valtrex and I feel like its getting worse. It's almost like the valtrex is not helping at all.

I've never had this problem before....I used to get it only when I was stressed...but now it is like my body is just going crazy. I don't know what to do.

Well to the point of this story I applied purel with aloe for the first time ever and at first, very comforting, cool to the touch. I will Update as the night goes and I progress tomorrow.

*Oh, I get them at the crest of my top lip, were the little indention is, both tips seem to be blistering....Also new...It used to only happen on the meaty part of my upper lip.

goatboy5217

Trying Purell During an OB

Sorry for the typo's, I did not proof read, just had to get it all out.

desperate

Now I am getting confused. I thought you can pass the virus even when you are not shedding or showing any symptoms at all. Has anyone tried "Stabilized Oxygen"?

Caliope

on the issue of spreading the virus.

of course when we have an active ob we are contagious. and if we are having an ob and there are no visible symptoms present they call this "asymptomatic shedding" and we are contagious then.

we are not contagious when we are not having an active ob and when we are not shedding asymptomatically.

the confusing part is trying to understand that when we don't have symptoms we can be contagious because of asymptomatic shedding and we can be not contagious when we are not having asymptomatic shedding. It's an enigma.

blackwatch

Hi Everyone:

I want to bring all of you up to date on my use of Purell. As you may know if you have followed this thread, I got H a little over two years ago. In my first 2.5 months I suffered through four OB's. I started using Purell in June of 2005. In the first 11 months I had zero OB's, I was on top of the world and started going from 3 applications a day to one or even skipping days. Sure enough I had my first recurence in May of 2006.

I continued using the Purell and I had my next outbreak in September, then once again in January and a third time now. When I look back I realized that I was getting my OB's in 4 month intervals.

I read somewhere that H sometimes appears in regular intervals. So now I am experiencing outbreaks at regular intervals, and I will stop using Purell after this OB heals up.

If I get another OB in 4 months then I fear Purell may not be the great relief we all want. It could be that Purell broke some repetitive cycle so that I wouldn't get an OB so quickly, who knows. But if I get recurrent OB's like I did before, then I start using Purell like before and the OB's recur less often, then I can state with certainty that Purell helps.

This is a new chapter in dealing with this difficult disease. I hope someone will come up with a remedy for this while I can still enjoy life.

I will keep you all posted.

Blackwatch

faithful
on the issue of spreading the virus.

of course when we have an active ob we are contagious. and if we are having an ob and there are no visible symptoms present they call this "asymptomatic shedding" and we are contagious then.

we are not contagious when we are not having an active ob and when we are not shedding asymptomatically.

the confusing part is trying to understand that when we don't have symptoms we can be contagious because of asymptomatic shedding and we can be not contagious when we are not having asymptomatic shedding. It's an enigma.

Thats the part thats killing me right now as a newbie. How the hell would I know if I am shedding if I am not showing any symptoms??? Makes me feel contagious ALL THE TIME!

faithful

purell update

Definitely keep us posted on the Purell Trials....Seems perfectly plausible. Heck, I would spread poop on myself if they proved it worked. OK, maybe not poop. Wait...yeah I would, but only if it really worked! Keep up the good work and let us know. :lol:

basa9952

I have been using purell for the last 3 months and have not had any outbreak since! Keep in mind that I have been partying a lot lately as well which means a good amount of alcohol and a bad sleeping pattern. Still not one outbreak.

So far so good, I apply it about 4-5 times a day. I will keep everyone updated.

Yazi

Miracell 37 anyone?

I'm a little dubious about Purell for me, (imagine big oozing raw awfulness - wait don't, it's awful) but I'll suggest it to my bf.

I've been using Miracell 37+ which I found at the drugstore next to the ance/scar meds. Ingrediants: Apricot Kernal Oil, Sesame Oil, Caprylic Triglyceride, Avacado Oil, Squalane, Jojoba Oil, Camellia Kissi, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Lecithin, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Propylparaben, Myrrh.

Cost: $9.99 for .5 FL oz, and can be used on cuts, scars, bug bites, skin conditions, and listed cold sores as well, which is what snagged my attention. I've been applying a few drops to my nether regions a few times a day. It relieves the itchiness and lessens the pain. Don't know if its helping to heal, but I certainly feel better. I can walk again =)

annyi
Hi Everyone:

I want to bring all of you up to date on my use of Purell. As you may know if you have followed this thread, I got H a little over two years ago.

Thank you for your Purell idea! My mom had some early symptom of a shingles--tingling and then sharp pain on big area of her side. Doctor put her on antiviral herbs, but she still had problem with the pain. I asked her to mix 65% ethanol with aloe gel(since she could not find purell there). She applied and had a good night sleep! In five days her pain is almost gone without a blister. :) She was using the mixture 2 times a day apply on where the pain was.

Canadianlife

I read all the posts in this forum, as a girl, I am going to try this. Obviously only on the visable sores...

i applied Purell, Seemed relieving already...

Heres hopeing!!

I got Hsv2, just under a month ago... my outbreak... was almost gone, then i had a bunch of sex, with the boyfriend, who is also HSV2 positive.

and another outbreak started... So here's hopeing this works for chicks too!

basa9952

Damn, unfortunately I had an outbreak about a week ago. Like blackwatch, I still think Purell is effective against outbreaks. My ob came directly after a 3 day period in which I had about 3 hours of sleep. My immune system was probably quite weak after this.

I am going to continue using 3-4 applications of purell a day. Will keep you all updated.

Canadianlife

wow... i did the purell thing yesterday... and my external sores are damn near gone.... still there... but not nearly as risin, as they were yesterday...

wonderwall

i've been eyeing this thread for a while now. i'm wondering if anyone thinks it'd be harmful to apply it to the lips? i get coldsores in the corners of my lips- both sides. they've been absolutely constant since december.

but i'm afraid of ingesting it, as i heard from a biologist friend that it could be very harmful to ingest.

wonderwall

I read today about BHT therapy. I'm still researching it but I'm thinking about trying this. What it does is unwraps the virus of its protective shell so that the immune system can pull out its can of whup ass on it. Used in conjunction with St John's Wort daily, it supposedly will kill the virus eventually. By that, I mean permenantly. No more Herpes!

I'm just worried about giving this crap to someone else. Myself personally I can live with it. But I would never want to inflict someone else with this malady.

do you have a link for this or are they doing any trials that i might participate in? i'm very interested in trying this BHT therapy.