World's Largest Herpes Support Group
blackwatch

Try Purell.

blahblahblah

I just got an ob for the first time in 7 months from my first major OB.

i first used some choraphor on some bumps and they went away, but i had 2 tears around the bumps.

I read the purell post and so i tried it. I put it around all of the ob and it stung a lot, but i blasted my hairdyer on it on cool air, and it stopped hurting.

The next day, everything is clearing up & my tears are healing. Maybe Purell could be a good thing after all.

ps.. has anyone got tears before? idk if thats normal..

blackwatch

Hi everyone, I just want to bring you up to date on my Purell usage. Everything is okay, I still haven't had an outbreak and I am now past nine months and am starting to feel "normal" again.

I have stopped getting the little red blemishes which if it was H, seemed to be happening after I drank too much coffee. I have cut down alot on coffee but not totally.

I have reduced the applications to once a day after I shower. If I shower twice I apply twice.

Now I know most people who have tried the Purell have used it after they had an outbreak. In almost all cases they have reported good results. Still, with this positive simple and cheap remedy very few people have tried it. Or at least written about it.

People seem to recover unusually quickly from their outbreaks, itching seems to go away almost instantly after each application. In my case after applying it on a daily basis I have been outbreak free for over nine months.

So why am I posting once again here, even if I am repeating alot about what I said in previous posts, well to tell the truth I would like a few more people to try this. If many people come around to actually using this. I really believe that Pfizer will look into this to see what is going on and it might stop shedding.

SO PLEASE TRY IT AND POST YOUR EXPERIENCES, GOOD OR BAD.

Just want to add a few things. First if you apply Purell after the blister has opened it will sting alot, Second if an outbreak has occured then use the Purell as soon as possible, you may need to apply it several times a day maybe four times or more. If you do this past experience on this site has shown that the outbreak will stop and go away very fast. Also do not use the wipes, use the gel.

So unless something happens or someone asks me a question I will refrain from posting, please try Purell.

aloneinGA

do you were it all the time

I never tried Purell but I was wondering do you wear this substance during intercourse

blackwatch

The first few months my girlfriend asked me to wash off the Purell before sex. However for the last 5 months or so she hasn't seen fit to bring it up. I figure whatever makes her feel comfortable.

Guest Guest

Its been now two months on one application of purell and oral intake of Olive Leaf extract that I am Aciclovir free for the last 2 months after 2 years of suppressive therapy.

Guest Guest

I dont apply after the shower as the soap kills herpes virus anyway. I usually shower in the morning and apply purell in the night.

Guest Guest

The problem is that I live in the UK and purell is not available here. I bought this with me when I went out of the country dont know from where to buy once this bottle ends. Any suggestions?

coolmel12

Could you order purell online?? Go to their website and see if they ship overseas....just a thought, and worth a try. If not there are other kinds of hand sanitizers, you could try and look for them and experiment with them.

blackwatch

One year and one outbreak later.

Hi all:

This week would have been a full year since the start of my last oubreak. Alas the respite has come to an end but I think more questions has been raised, and I think Purell does affect this disagreeable disease.

As posted here before I have reduced my applications of Purell to once a day, usually in the morning after I shower. Lately, however I have missed the daily applications. Usually I make sure to apply the next day but sometimes I forget. Anyway, about two weeks ago I didn't apply Purell for three days straight, on the fourth day I applied like usual but when I got home at night I saw the tell tale signs of an outbreak. The skin was becoming more and more red and by bedtime a lesion was developing. I began with intensive use of the Purell the first night maybe three applications the next day several more. The OB was forming but nothing more than the initial lesion was "tearing". In other words no blisters appeared just redness and after a day or two a bump started to form. It was almost as if a blister wanted to form but the Purell was preventing it from reaching the surface.

After three days with countless applications of Purell, maybe 7 or 8 a day, I decided that enough was enough, and I decided to start using the Valtrex I had in backup. I thought of using Chorafor but no blister aside from the initial lesion formed. By the way the lesion disappeared within a day or so and would usually close up soon after I applied the Purell. If it wasn't for the "bump" that started to form I would have not used the Valtrex. Today everything looks healed up.

The thing that pisses me off about this, is that I did have the intention of stopping use of the Purell after the thirteenth month or so but I wish I would have stayed true to the regimen I developed. Now I don't know if the OB started in spite of the regimen or because I stopped the regimen for a few days (don't forget that in the previous 10 days I might have used the Purell only 4 times).

I think that I should use the Purell for another six months and if that works then I will stop using it, and see what happens then. In case any of you are wondering, I do not use Valtrex on a daily basis.

Of interest was the fact that the Purell seemed to stop a blister from forming, although it clearly didn't beat back the OB as I originally hoped. The question I have is, when the bump started to form, it looked like the blister wanted to come out, but the Purell being absorbed by the skin was stopping the blister from getting to the surface; did that make things worse for future OB's?

Well I guess we will have to wait to see. I think I will wait the six months and and let's hope nothing happens, don't forget when I got this disease about 15 months ago I had 4 outbreaks in 2.5 months. So something is happening to slow the frequency of OB's, I still think it is the Purell.

I just want to add if you have had an experience with Purell, good or bad , please post it. We can all learn together.

TopBoyDFW

Hey, Blackwatch. I just joined this forum today. I self diagnosed myself with HSV2 two years ago. I believe it's a pretty serious case because I have about 2 outbreaks a month, and have since the initial outbreak.

I'm not sure why more people haven't tried this Purell thing, even after you've practically begged people to. I bought Purell today and applied it twice already and will keep you posted.

The current outbreak I'm experiencing is different from any other I've ever had. Usually I get a searing pain in one of my legs, which indicates an impending OB. Then a blister will develop on one side of my penis, corresponding to the side of the leg which was hurting. I usually get one or two blisters that are very painful.

Until now I've been unroofing the blisters in a sterilized environment and using raw honey applied to the area 3 times per day. The blisters usually healed to a scab in two days, the scab would fall off after extensive soaking in a hot bath after about 2 days, and the redness would be gone in another 3 or 4 days. I take 1 gram of Lysine per day every day, and a gram of Zinc per day only during outbreaks. The longest time I've gone between outbreaks has been 2 months. The shortest time has been a couple of days.

This particular outbreak seemed to be triggered by the use of an "unconventional" lubricant used during intercourse...Cornhuskers Lotion. I'm honestly not certain whether this is an outbreak or an allergic response, because my genitals are very itchy and have red patches. There are no visible blisters, but upon very close inspection, there may be many, many microscopic blisters. Still, this "rash" doesn't respond to antihistamines, both topical and oral, so I'm assuming it's just a different kind of outbreak.

I'm applying the Purell every few hours. I will continue to apply it 3 times per day after the outbreak is gone and will post as regularly as I can.

TopBoyDFW

Good news. The strange "itchy" outbreak was gone the day after I started using Purell. Two days ago, after somewhat vigorous intercourse, a red, swollen area appeared where I had my last serious outbreak. I immediately applied Purell and the area had receded and faded by nightfall.

Good news so far!

peppermintpatty

This is hysteria...Sorry guys I hate to bust your bubbles but you haven't stumbled upon some miracle treatment.. I'm going to proceed directly to Rant...NOW HEAR THIS>>>> NOTHING....NOTHING... NO TOPICAL PRODUCT mentioned in this entire thread Could EVER PREVENT OUTBREAKS by rubbing it into HEALTHY, INTACT skin...Purell?? dude... you're having an attack of magical thinking. :p Do these topicals Treat outbreaks?... SURE..You betcha... because alcohol based hand sanitizers like Purell, GermX, those essential oils, Choraphor (active ingredient is sulfur which is a powerful antiflammatory), zinc preparations.. are actually souped up skin soothing antiseptics...some are just loaded with extra, worthless CRAP! Antiseptics INACTIVATE THE VIRUS ON CONTACT and help dry up the lesions. Whoopiedo...I've had genital herpes for 22 years... I used Listerine on my coochie lesions... burned like hell for about 5 seconds..got rid of the pox in like 3 days. I experienced fewer and fewer outbreaks as the years went by... thanks to a good immune system. Your experiences with these new fangled antiseptics aren't anything novel. If you are looking for a safe PREVENTIVE topical that has some good solid scientific evidence behind it...not just anectodal evidence... Lysine applications( Lysine is an amino acid that is an old-school treatment for herpes) may be beneficial for aborting the outbreak when applied on the skin dermatomes. It may also be taken orally. This is because lysine substitutes for L-arginine, an amino acid necessary for a step in herpes virus DNA replication. The virus dosen't know the difference between the two. Heard of Placebo Effect?... Much of what we experience with the herps is psychological...some people claim they are outbreak free from being hypnotized...Of course they're downloading information from the mothership too. :D Now the following is a subject that really pisses me off :x

Watch out for the claims made by companies of so-called "Natural Herpes Cures"... Cure? :):D:lol: "AMAZING HERPES CURE" kills herpes virus!!! Where? in a laboratory test tube? ...BIG F***KING DEAL... I can do that with soap and water! How d' ya kill a virus...say in a PERSON... HMMM? Now THAT would be impressive... viruses per se aren't living entities.. Herpes virus is DNA... its function is to make copies of itself.. to do so it must invade a host's (your) living cells.. so..to kill a virus... you must kill its host's cell. Fine... if we're talking about killing an infected skin cell.. skin cells regenerate... but once herpes invades the skin cells it's ALREADY considered an active clinical OUTBREAK or episode of subclinical SHEDDING. That's the EASY part of the equation... See, these laboratories get away with claims that applying their TOPICAL product to your lesions will HELP PREVENT NEW OUTBREAKS..here's the dirty little secret..ANYTHING applied to active lesions that kills herpes on contact.. a 50 cent bottle of alcohol..or $98 bottle of "amazing herpes cure" will HELP PREVENT NEW OUTBREAKS because IN THEORY less of the virus retreats to the nerve tissue in the spinal ganglion where the sneaky little bastards hibernate. Now that begs the question again...here comes the tricky part..How d'ya kill a LATENT virus... living in your spinal nerve tissue cells... cells and tissues that DO NOT regenerate.... without destroying the nerve cells themselves...???? In order to cure herpes..every last dna particle would have to be eradicated along with its every last host nerve cell... where the sneaky little bastards hunker down....this would be detrimental to the host (you)..cause you would lose sensory nerve function.. CAPICE? That's why, ladies and gentlemen, there is NO CURE! Don't let these snake oil salesmen exploit your fears, give you a false sense of security and rob you BLIND :evil:

TopBoyDFW

I understand the logic of your statement, but I've now had my first outbreak-free month since I was infected years ago, and the only thing different I've been doing is using Purell. Perhaps the virus can't cause an ulcer until it gathers on the surface, and Purell keeps it from gathering because it kills the virus on contact, I don't know. Perhaps I am living in some dream world, but this dream world I'm living in includes far fewer outbreaks than I've ever experienced, so I'll continue living here, thanks!

peppermintpatty

Well of course you do what works for you to control the outbreak and give you some relief :wink: What a bummer that you break out so frequently. :( Your outbreaks should decrease as the years go on. Hey..Take measures to boost your immune system..therein lies the key to good health

You mentioned that you take Lysine..The ancients have used a flowering plant herb for thousands of years to treat herps...called Hyssop.(H. officinalis) you can get it at any nutrition store..Hyssop comes in a liquid tincture or tea leaves. and is inexpensive. You should NOT use hyssop if you are pregnant( well not you personally.. Mr. Boy hehe), have high blood pressure or suffer from seizures

I didn't mean to take a critical tone with you..I apologize if I offended you. It's just that I've been where alot of you folks are now..desparate to find something...anything... to lessen the pain and anxiety... only to be disappointed. I'm not mad at you...I'm mad at the dirt! :lol: At least Purell won't cost you a fortune... You seem like an a astute person... I only hope you don't have a false sense of security that the purell or any local antiseptic is preventing transmission of the virus. BTW, you may want to confirm your self diagnosis with a blood test. you'd be surprised how many presumptive diagnoses are wrong. Cheers.

Frenk

I found this forum after having a discussion with my wife, because she wouldn't believe that applying Purell over an outbreak makes it go away in a few days, versus the usual couple of weeks.

Too bad I live in Italy where Purell is not available.

I discovered this by using Purell to disinfect the outbreak, and noticed it would heal the outbreak very quickly.

No, using alcohol is not the same because purell is a gel (sort of) so much easier to apply and stays on the outbreak until it evaporates.

I don't think it cures herpes, but I have seen it cures the outbreak. Perhaps using it regularly can help curing the outbreak at its very beginning.

Anyway, it helps.

scratchy

I'm becoming a believer

After reading blackwatch's post and sincere attempts to get people to try purell, I decided what the hell. I have had H for several years, outbreaks every 4 weeks. I started with purell on May 8th, so tomorrow will be two months outbreak free for the first time ever. I have not changed anything else, so I don't know what else it could be. I am a reasonbly intelligent person and understand that there is no rational explanation for purell to prevent outbreaks, but all I know is what I've seen. I'm going to keep using it and see how far I can go o.b. free. Just thought I would share.

blackwatch

Hi All:

Just want to give all of you an important update. After my last post on May 22, I had two outbreaks in quick succession. They arrived about one week from each other and by June 7, I was over my last OB.

Since I was using Purell only once a day up until then, I decided to increase the applications to twice a day. I thought I should restart my regimen and felt that if twice a day wasn't working then I would increase my applications to three times a day.

I wanted to wait about a month to notify all of you because I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have another occurence. Judging by my previous experiences without the Purell I think that by now I should have experienced another outbreak.

Anyway one month later I am outbreak free. If I had to guess what happened I think that when I begun this regimen 2-3 applications a day is necessary to prepare your skin to beat back the Herpes. After a while one application per day would do, but if you forget to apply it or are inconsistent in your applications then the H will come back. For now I will continue with my 2 applications per day, once after I shower and again in the evening.

My plan now is to continue this for the next 6 months and then I'll decide what to do from there.

I really hate this bloody disease and I just hope that there will be a way for us to have long lasting relief and not pass it along to others.

To Peppermint Patty, I really don't know why you want to attack me or this thread. I am not making a penny off of this, Purell is a topical treatment that you buy for very little from your neighborhood pharmacy, and you can use it everyday. If people find that it works then wouldn't it be a good thing to try it out and post your experience with it. We will all learn, and if others are honest like me, then don't you think that if it does work then we will all be the richer for it?

Again I ask others to try this out like Scratchy and Frenk. I am very happy to see others are finding some relief from this let's see how far this will take all of us.

DieHSVDie

Blackwatch (et al) -

I'm going to join the Purell group; it's been 9 weeks since my last outbreak, even though I've been getting greatly lessened prodrome symptoms. I've been applying twice a day and I don't just dab spots, I slather it on (a bit of a challenge for those that shave, but you get used to it). This after more than 3 years of outbreaks that won't let up. I'm something of a poster child for stress and my other habits don't help at all, but this is the first thing that I've tried that's actually stopped the OB's.

Peppermint Patty makes a good point WRT shedding. They're still doing studies on shedding at the University here, even on those taking valtrex. That's one of the dammnable things about this virus; you could be shedding like a persian cat and not even know it.

Nonethless, I think you have a line on something here. I'm going to stick with it and will report back.

DhD

Guest Guest

Update

Dear All,

Now I have been using purell for about 6 months, I can say that it does work its not the holy grail but till you continue to apply it once or twice a day you will be almost outbreak free.

If you feel the "signs" just increase it to 3-4 times a day.

Thanks Blackwatch for sharing it, you are very kind.

DieHSVDie

Whoknows -

Well said. I've been doing it twice a day since May '06 and had only one small OB that lasted for about a week. That's a far cry from what it used to be like (see previous posts).

For those that don't have Purell in your neck of the planet, just look up the ingredients on the web and by something vastly similar. I use the Safeway (national grocery chain store) equivalent because I can get it in the 1 quart size for about $5.00. Alcohol strength is about the same and the ingredients are similar. Some of the other stuff is more of a departure than I'm willing to risk, so do read the label and compare before you buy.

Once again, even if the Purell (or similar) helps you ace your OB's, ****it doesn't mean you aren't shedding like crazy****!!!! So use protection and discuss it with your potential partners. Remember, 90% of folks with genital herpes don't KNOW they have it and they can spread it without having any symptoms themselves.

And now, for something completely different. A bottle of stuff that seems to help folks with herpes! Please join me in the Chaga and other Mushrooms thread...

Regards -

DieHSVDie

Buddy

It didn't work for me

Blackwatch,

It didn't work for me. I tried it for a few days. It actually stalled the process............I went back to H2o2. I also found 2 older Valtrex 500 and split them in half and used for 4 days...................It was a small but long outbreak. It's amazing how long one or two bumps will stick around without using conventional treatment.

smurfy

OH my god this stuff is only ?1.95 on ebay!!!!!!!! Why on earth is more people not trying this??????

Im uk based just read this, tried a hell of alot of stuff, and whether its the placebo affect or who gives a diddly, i will give it a go if its helping somone and not harming anyone.

One thing i wanted to ask, are male users putting this on the shaft and tip of penis also? or just pubic area??

I just ordered some and will be following you black. I hope this works for me, and if it doesnt well im ?2 down (oh No!!!!!) and a lot the wiser with another false hope crossed off the list

im shocked more arent giving this ago. You americans on here can go and buy this is the shops today, why the ........ arent you giving it a shot? Its alcohol and a few other ingredient which are in most soap and shower products anyway so nothing detrimental that will damage you down there

hiding

I got it because it was cheap, practical, and supposedly worked well. I have been using it for about 2 months, no outbreaks, but I'm not totally convinced. Like you said, no loss, only like 2 euros or dollars whatever