Connect Anonymously for Herpes Support.
Sign in to follow this  
moving4ward

Valtrex - how long it takes for a dose to start working

How long after taking one dose of Valtrex does it begin to do its work (ie helping prevent outbreak or shedding)?

for what it's worth - I found this list of timeframe and dosage.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic3/valacyclovir_ids.htm

Genital Herpes

Initial Episodes: The recommended dosage of VALTREX for treatment of initial genital herpes is 1 gram twice daily for 10 days.

There are no data on the effectiveness of treatment with VALTREX when initiated more than 72 hours after the onset of signs and symptoms. Therapy was most effective when administered within 48 hours of the onset of signs and symptoms.

Recurrent Episodes: The recommended dosage of VALTREX for the treatment of recurrent genital herpes is 500 mg twice daily for 3 days. If medical management of a genital herpes recurrence is indicated, patients should be advised to initiate therapy at the first sign or symptom of an episode. There are no data on the effectiveness of treatment with VALTREX when initiated more than 24 hours after the onset of signs or symptoms.

Suppressive Therapy: The recommended dosage of VALTREX for chronic suppressive therapy of recurrent genital herpes is 1 gram once daily in patients with normal immune function. In patients with a history of 9 or fewer recurrences per year, an alternative dose is 500 mg once daily. The safety and efficacy of therapy with VALTREX beyond 1 year have not been established. In HIV-infected patients with CD4 cell count 100 cells/mm3, the recommended dosage of VALTREX for chronic suppressive therapy of recurrent genital herpes is 500 mg twice daily. The safety and efficacy of therapy with VALTREX beyond 6 months in patients with HIV infection have not been established.

Reduction of Transmission: The recommended dosage of VALTREX for reduction of transmission of genital herpes in patients with a history of 9 or fewer recurrences per year is 500 mg once daily for the source partner. Patients should be counseled to use safer sex practices in combination with suppressive therapy with VALTREX. The efficacy of reducing transmission beyond 8 months in discordant couples has not been established.

Cold Sores (Herpes Labialis)

The recommended dosage of VALTREX for the treatment of cold sores is 2 grams twice daily for 1 day taken about 12 hours apart. Therapy should be initiated at the earliest symptom of a cold sore (e.g., tingling, itching, or burning). There are no data on the effectiveness of treatment initiated after the development of clinical signs of a cold sore (e.g., papule, vesicle, or ulcer).

My experience with Valtrex is limited to when I was in the uprising stages of an extremely bad outbreak. ***WARNING, ABOUT TO GET GRAPHIC***

I am female, and I had a genital outbreak that literally covered the entirety of my vaginal opening and spread outward to all the way up and inside my inner labia. I cannot begin to describe the pain- I had tears in my eyes every time I walked or moved. Because the female parts are self-lubricating and always introducing additional moisture, every small addition of new natural moisture to my female parts would STING like hand sanitizer in a paper cut. My doctor helped me look with a mirror and I saw that my normal opening which usually looks like this () was so covered on both sides with huge bumps with sores at the end that it was almost completely closed, bumpy, and looked like the back of a toad. I wanted to cry.

She gave me Valtrex and I left her office basically waddling with coarse, hand-drying paper towel from the dispenser shoved up in between my labia so that the two would not touch. I cried all the way to the pharmacy. Ashamed, I filled my Valtrex prescription. At this time Valtrex was relatively new, was Brand-Only, and was not widely prescribed for oral lesions as well and working in a pharmacy as a pharm tech I knew that everybody behind the counter would be snickering at the girl filling the script for HERPES.

I picked up my prescription, declined counseling from the pharmacist, and left, still ashamed. I took the first pill with some bottled water in my car. It was by this time, nighttime.

I woke up in the morning about 9 hours later and took the 2nd dose early. By midmorning-early afternoon I noticed improvement. By late that evening I felt completely normal and looked almost normal. By the next morning the pain was completely gone and the swelling was greatly diminished. By the third morning, everything looked and felt totally normal.

Hang in there. It's going to get a lot better soon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Herpes Dating Web Site

Guest, would you like to try dating another Herpster in your area?

Search Now
  • Newbies

• Latest Buzz

• LatentBloomer
      I use witch hazel followed by tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil on my outer labia. I wouldn't try it on the sensitive bits. It might sound crazy, but someone once told me to try desitin maximum strength. I never did so I'm not sure how effective it is.  Zinc. In test tubes, zinc is effective against HSV-1 and HSV-2. In one small study, people who applied zinc oxide cream to cold sores saw them heal faster than those who applied a placebo cream. In another study, people who used a proprietary topical formulation with zinc oxide, l-lysine, and 14 other ingredients saw a decrease in symptoms and duration of lesions. High doses of zinc can be dangerous. Zinc may interact with some antibiotics and with cisplatin, a chemotherapy drug. http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/herpes-simplex-virus
    • Numb22
      I’m having a OB currently, my medicine doesn’t seem to be helping clear it up. I’ve been using aloe Vera for the itchiness down there  but that’s not helping this time! This is so annoying. Anything else I can try? 
    • Seeker1960
      @Lostgirl93 I know that you must be filled with a lot of different feelings which is totally normal. There are a couple of different things that have similar visual symptoms like HSV so  I wouldn't jump to conclusions. If you have an opportunity to swab the blisters when they are fresh you might get an answer. Blood testing will take a minimum of 8 weeks podt exposure but in general it is recommended to wait 12 to 16 weeks. Visually there is no difference in HSV2 and HSV1. HSV is very common so you are not alone in this if you actually have it. You will find a lot of good advice here. Take everything with a grain of salt like @LatentBloomer said there are no "experts" when it comes to H if there were we wouldn't be on this site together looking for answers. HSV affects us all differently because our immune responses are different. So for some this is just a mild skin condition and for others it is a cause of daily nerve pain. Some don't even have a clue they have it and continue to pass it on not knowing. The best thing is to get properly diagnosed. Not always easy because just like the virus is unpredicatable in some people so are the testing results. It took me months to get results I needed to confirm my diagnosis. How ever this turns out you are still the beautiful you! You will learn to live life and do everything you want to do. The virus doesnt define who or what you are. Good luck and don't stress, it is going to be okay.
    • WilsoInAus
      Happy to give a few more details. First I would disregard the IgM result and I'd say that if it was positive or negative. False positives are common and not everyone has detectable IgM antibodies upon a primary herpes infection. This test has little diagnostic value. IgG antibodies are part of your body's permanent immune response and a person will test positive for these antibodies from 3-12 weeks after infection. A person should expect to test negative in the first 3 weeks post an infection. Hence the blood tests confirm that you did not have any form of herpes most likely prior to the episode you describe. Visual diagnoses are 75% accurate at best. I'd say this one seems a bit at the presumptive end of the scale, but that's just me. Bacteria and yeast are indeed valid causes of your symptoms. There are no symptoms unique to herpes. The best 'tell' for herpes are lesions. The presence of lesions is the only symptom that would put herpes in the top 3 possibilities in a doctor's mind when diagnosing. You do not describe lesions. Some doctors may not have even been concerned regarding herpes as a possibility. Given this one has does suggest that you will need to have a repeat test 12 weeks after exposure for peace of mind. If lesions do appear, then immediately obtain a swab.
    • MoniqueLow
      Canada! I really love that my tax money is used so wisely :-/ https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canada-150/ottawa-spending-half-a-billion-dollars-for-canadas-150th-anniversary/article33508942/%3Fservice=amp http://www.blogto.com/arts/2017/05/people-upset-about-200k-cost-giant-rubber-duck-ontario/
    • df9117
      I had protected anal sex about 10 days before this. I've been in contact with him and he says he's been tested and is negative. Doctor originally thought anal fissure but then the rash and lymph nodes led him to herpes. Could is potentially be a bacterial infection. Just confused with the negative blood tests but visual diagnosis.     
  • Trending