Just diagnosed on Christmas Eve

janedoe227

Hello everybody.

Well, I was diagnosed with genital herpes a few days ago. I began having what seemed like yeast infection symptoms about 10-12 days ago such as burning, itching, pain during intercourse, and then progressed to have painful urination so I simply thought I had contracted a urinary tract infection as well. Then I began getting red bumps near my vagina and freaked out and went to the ER on Christmas Eve where the doctor, who was an ASS I must say, told me it was probably genital herpes and gave me a prescription for Valtrex as well as topical Zovirax. Now, I have all the symptoms I could probably have. Headaches, muscle aches, low grade fever, swollen lymph nodes in my groin, painful urination, blisters and lesions, loss of appetite, weakness, and burning/itching sensations.

It turns out my current boyfriend had herpes all along but never showed any symptoms.

I have a few questions for you guys.

I have been taking Valtrex and Lysine supplements as well as avoiding arginine rich foods. I take some Advil when the pain is really bad and try to keep the area clean and dry and avoid touching it. I used the Zovirax cream for the first couple of days but it burns terribly to apply it and the instructions that came in the box say not to use it genitally so I stopped using it until I can follow up with my obgyn. Does anybody else use Zovirax topically for genital herpes?

I am at the stage with some of the blisters have begun to scab and heal. Others are still leaking yellowish fluid. The blisters burn a lot and are very painful. Is there anything else that can be done to manage the pain? I used ice packs, which helped. I also took a bath in epsom salt, which hasn't done much. I also tried using aloe vera topically. It seems anything topical burns.

Also, the pain during urination is very severe. It is bad enough that I have been drinking less to avoid having to urinate. What can I do to decrease the agony?

My boyfriend and I have avoided any sort of sexual contact. Because he has never shown symptoms, I'm unsure if he has it orally or genitally. Is there anyway to tell if he isn't showing symptoms?

Lastly, how do you deal with the emotional aspect? I have a very hard time seeing a light at the end of the tunnel now that I have herpes. I keep thinking of future outbreaks, what will happen when I want to have children, my sex life, etc. Has anyone else seen a therapist? Has it helped? I am very afraid of being judged.

I know extactly how you feel right now. I was diagnosed over a year ago with type1 in my gential area and I felt so dirty and tainted for life. It takes awhile for you to realize that its not the end of the world. I started doing research on how it would effect me having children in the future and it does not seem that bad. As well as the sex life, eh, I've come to accept that it will have some challenges as sharing my status with a partner. Maybe I'll get lucky and he has the same thing too :) I went to talk to a therapist and it does help but alot of it falls on you in telling yourself that its not the end of the world, this is just a pesky virus that can be managed, and perhaps this something like this can weed out the bums. Atleast that's what I tell myself. I still am afraid of being judged like how you are afraid to be judged. I had thought my life was over and that no one would want me but now I'm ready to date again and will still enjoy dating. It's a long road, you will get angry, you will feel helpless, you will feel tainted but know that you are not alone and that there are ALOT of people that live with this and they are normal, healthy people like you are.

As far as your symptoms, I know similar pain as I did not want to urinate or sit down because the sores hurt so badly. I believe the cream does help and i had to use it although it hurt like hell as that was my first break out. I would suggest if peeing in a bottle if you have to and it hurts that bad. sounds gross but when you gotta go, you gotta go! that or try peeing when you are taking a bath. not sure if that bad part will help alot.

It's very possible your boyfriend was one of the lucky ones that hardly showed any symptoms or did not break out enough to where it was noticable. Honestly, you just can't tell if people have herpes or not unless the sores are physically present.

I suggest researching as much as you can as well as using this site. I just discovered it and there is alot of encourging posts about people facing this and how it affects their love lives. I've come to terms with what I have I think but its still nice to be able to go somewhere that others are facing the same issue as I am. Good luck to you and god bless.

I am with you- I was just diagnosed before thanksgiving. My boyfriend carried it and never had signs or symptoms as well. Emotionally I'm still having a hard time and hoped that talking on this website with others who know how I feel would help. I don't see a light yet either...its very frustrating.

My nurse told me to fill a water bottle with warm water and squirt that down in my area while I was peeing, which seemed to help a little. I hope that helps you! Good luck, take care.

Welcome!

You and your boyfriend need to get type tested! Usually type 1 prefers the mouth, type 2 genitals.... There is a chance he gave it to you via a coldsore! And if it was from a coldsore he already has those antibodies so that chance of spreading it elsewhere on his body is really rare!!

Herpes wont change anything except you will have to skip sex and be more inventive when you have a OB!

Your just an unlucky statistic, same as your bf!

http://theherpesblog.com/people-with-herpes/ < 20 years, married with non h partner!

Call your ob/gyn and tell her that you need some Lidocaine cream. It stings a bit at first when you put it on (use some latex gloves to apply to the sores) but it got me through my initial painful fevery outbreak. (I was a trainwreck =) Also drink MORE water that will dilute your urine so it doesn't sting as badly. Then get a bottle like maybe a travel shampoo bottle something like that, put some warm water in it and when you pee squirt that water down there to help dilute the urine more. I totally understand how you are feeling...it just about killed me to pee. I just kept using lidocaine, and clean pads to keep everything dry and had to live through it. Advil. And if you can't sleep ask for some drugs for that too because lack of sleep just increases your stress levels. It'll get better. Hang in there!

I feel your pain! I was diagnosed a few days before christmas with hsv1 down there.. The valtrex helps, also I used carmex and tea tree oil to sooth the sores. The carmex provides a cooling sensation. The area was too painful to dry myself so I used a hair drier which helped a lot. I also avoided drinking, but peeing in the shower was my solution, or covering the sores with toilet paper during peeing.. Lastly, don't wear underwear to bed and try to wear loose pants.

As far as child birth, everything is normal. If you have an ob near your due date you'll simply just have a caesarean. So don't worry about that :)

Do as much research as you can, knowing about the virus is very important!

Good luck xx

Hey, I too feel your pain. I had all the same symptoms as you including what I thought was a yeast infection at the end of my period. I use Boric Acid Suppositories for yeast or bv, cause it works faster and is cheaper... but it's also somewhat abrassive. I think the tiny abrasions is what triggered my OB.

Someone told me that black tea helps! I found zovirax to be quite painful to use too. Next OB I get I'm going to try a wet, chilled black teabag as a compress on the area and see. Oil of Oregano is supposed to help too and my sister said a warm bath with epsom salts helps dry the area out a bit.

Also, my sister has GH and had a baby. You'll be fine. You'd be surprised how many aspects of your life won't change and in some ways having GH can actually force you to make positive changes that you should have made or been doing long ago, like healthy eating, stress reduction tactics, drink more water around your period and avoid chocolate or arginine rich foods (I have trouble pronouncing it so I call them Aggrivators lol fitting!), being honest and open about your sex life with partners, and sex isn't the only way you can have fun. Sometimes the intimacy just from kissing and touching each other can be intense. Member highschool? hehe.

It's a lifestyle change, not the end of the world. Keep your chin up sweetie!!! We're all here for each other.

Just wanted to touch on the peeing thing too.... urine is sterile. You can drink it.

If you have made dietary changes, are taking a multivitamin and 1000mg of lysine, your urine (especially first thing in the AM) will contain TONNNNNNNES of healthy vitamins, antibodies, and uric acid is a natural healer. If you can handle the pain, handle it!! Because urine itself will help heal the outbreak faster.

(Read up on urine therapy - even a lot of top end cosmetics contain uric acid.... taken from horse piss... no lie)

I also got herpes for Christmas, and as I'm out of the country couldn't go to my gyno and it took a while to get to a Dr. I told her about the painful urination and she gave me lidocaine cream, but I find that only makes it burn more. Pouring water while peeing seems to be the only thing that helps, and it still hurts. Does anyone know if that's only with the first outbreak?

A lot of women try to drink less to avoid the pain of urination, but really you would be better off drinking MORE water. It will dilute your urine, making it less acidic, and less ouchy.

Also, as someone else suggested, you can urinate while sitting in a tub of warm water or in the shower with the water stream flowing over your vagina.

Hope one or more of those will help you.

Thank you everybody for your support.

I tried peeing while pouring water down there but it didn't help. I'm not sure how everyone else's first outbreak down there was but mine was bad! I had the blisters/lesions (not sure which word is more appropriate) EVERYWHERE. I had a bunch on my clit as well as all along my inner lips and the outer ones. There were also several in the area between my vagina and my anus. If I tried to count them, I'd lose track. Thankfully, I have heard the first outbreak will be the worst so I hope I never have to experience this again. Anyways, it was pretty much impossible for me to cover all my blisters while peeing so I resorted to peeing in the bathtub. (Desperate times call for desperate measures!) This helped a lot.

I have gotten myself some daily multi vitamins which contain antioxidants and probiotics as well as some lysine supplements. I have been planning on purchasing the Dynamiclear kit which includes more lysine, the immune booster supplements, aloe vera gel, and the dynamiclear bottle. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Sadly, I also have been diagnosed previously with an inflammatory bowel disease which causes me to have diarrhea and stomach pain frequently. Today I had the agony of suffering from my outbreak as well as diarrhea and stomach pain. It was the WORST!! It already hurts down there and to have diarrhea on top of that.. UGH!!! I was also suppose to have my period this week but I decided to skip it by just continuing on with my birth control and not taking the week off like I normally do. So glad I made that decision. I can't imagine period + diarrhea + outbreak. D:

dear icep..

You poor thing! You did the right thing by skipping your period, I'm sure. As for the diarrhea, are you taking acyclovir or valtrex? Cause they do irritate the stomach. Gave me diarrhea for the first two days.

Also, my doctor told me I had to wash all my underwear in super high heat (okay) and also iron it! I've never heard anyone else say this, and I don't even own an iron. Any ideas?

As for cream, the only thing that didn't burn for me was Lemon Balm Oil (also called Melissa). It's nice cause it smells good too! I'm finally feeling better from my first outbreak after a week of pain and 2 days of acyclovir (after I finally got to a doctor). So hang in there.

Also, my doctor told me I had to wash all my underwear in super high heat (okay) and also iron it! I've never heard anyone else say this, and I don't even own an iron. Any ideas?

No offense to you, but your doctor sounds like a whackadoodle. Soap and water deactivate the herpes simplex virus on contact -- proven. The water does not have to be "super high heat."

:madd:

I was on Valtrex. I was on it for like 4 days already before I got diarrhea and well.. I already have been diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease so I know this is what most likely caused the diarrhea.

Thankfully, I feel a tad bit better today. PHEW!

Another question.. How often do people break out their first year if they are pretty much healthy? I don't want to get another outbreak again anytime soon. :\

You gotta stop messing with Santa Claus!

Some Christmas gift! And I thought the worst Santa could do was a lump of coal in your stocking!

Seriously, I am just here to chime in with the other posters and add my own advice: Do not avoid drinking water, do the opposite and drink a LOT of water so your urine will be less acidic. I have found lidocaine helpful, too, for the pain. I have also used Dynamaclear and although it stings at first, it does help heal my outbreaks faster and also seems to prevent them to some degree.

Other things for the pain.....a pitcher or cool water poured over the area while urinating can help. Also, you can put a big dab of Neosporin or baby diaper creme over the sores to stop the urine from stinging.

If necessary, get some pain meds just to get you through this. It is very unlikely that any future outbreak you might have (and 40% of those who have a first outbreak never have another one) will be anywhere near this bad. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you WILL be feeling better soon.

Take care...and feel better. Maybe you'd better leave some milk and cookies for Santa next time or even a big slug of bourbon.

No offense to you, but your doctor sounds like a whackadoodle. Soap and water deactivate the herpes simplex virus on contact -- proven. The water does not have to be "super high heat."

:madd:

I'm not offended at all. I thought she was a wackadoodle too. Keep in mind I'm in Turkey.

I'm not offended at all. I thought she was a wackadoodle too. Keep in mind I'm in Turkey.

I was not paying attention to your location, no. Not that bad medical advice is limited to certain locations.

So may we assume you are not worrying about wearing wrinkled undies at this point? Not out shopping for an iron?

Even if high heat were a necessary component in deactivating the herpes simplex virus, what would be the point of doing that to your underwear? Does the doc think she is trying to protect you from yourself (pointless, you already have HSV), or does she think you belong to a pantie exchange club? :dontknow:

LOL. No, I think she's just misinformed. Yes, I guess she was worried about me re-infecting myself (triggering another outbreak). Even if the high heat advice were marginally believable, the ironing made no sense. How would the virus come back after the high heat and land on my underwear? So no, I'm not buying an iron. I plan on buying some L-Lysine the next time I'm near a GNC (the Turkish drug stores don't have it). My main worry now: is the tingling at the end of the first outbreak a sign of healing, or is the whole thing starting up again? Should I get more acyclovir?

Also, I feel like I have to pee all the time.

LOL. No, I think she's just misinformed. Yes, I guess she was worried about me re-infecting myself (triggering another outbreak).

It doesn't work that way. Very misinformed, but sadly not alone!

I just have to say, every time I think about someone standing at an ironing board with their panties, I giggle a bit. The thought of a doctor actually recommending that makes me flat-out guffaw!

My main worry now: is the tingling at the end of the first outbreak a sign of healing, or is the whole thing starting up again? Should I get more acyclovir?

Also, I feel like I have to pee all the time.

The tingling is something that worries a lot of folks, for the same reasons you stated. The problem is, it probably could be either.

I think it might even be something like a bit of postherpetic paresthesia. My theory is that the tingling sensations might be caused by the viral particles moving around inside the nerve pathways. It's JUST my theory, that's all it is.

Regarding the urgency to pee, have you been checked to make sure you don't have something like a urinary tract infection? It seems that HSV has a tendency to disturb the pH in a woman's genital area, so secondary yeast and bacterial infections are not at all uncommon.

You know, peeing in the shower is just NOT an option for me! To have to get undressed and get in the bathtub all during the day. I have kids and I know they would wonder what in the world I'm doing. I don't have the time to do that every time I have to pee. Someone on here posted about making a little tube out of a plastic tampax that she keeps in her purse while at work. You can put that right over the spot and pee through it and no pain.

I was treated for a uti along with my first ob. I felt like I had to pee all the time, and the burning during urination was internal.. I haven't had another ob since (about 3 months ago). People on here talk about external burning when the urine hits the sores, so I think I definitely had a UTI at the same time as my ob. Plus I read that obs can cause a UTI. A UTI is actually what i initially thought I had, until sores started showing up :/

Ice -

You've gotten a lot of good advice and info on this thread, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in. As you can see,

you're not alone. Yes, the emotial/mental aspect of the diagnosis is tough. I did start seeing my old therapist

again and it helped a little. For me, educating myself and just taking it one day at a time helped ease the anxiety.

I've done a lot of personal writing, and I have spoken to several family members about it.

It's tough, but it's just one of those shitty things life throws our way. It doesn't define us or mean anything about

who we are. It can wreak havoc in the mind if you allow your fears to run wild -- I'm the king of that by the way.

So, remember that it's a simply a skin condition, an annoying virus, or a mild irritation. Keep putting in the smallest

terms possible, and remember that this outbreak will likely be the worst. There are a lot of good books out there

to help inform yourself.

The good news? Aside from everything we learn from our hardships, there really is HOPE that new treatments, vaccines,

and possibly cures are on the horizon. If there was ever a place and time to have to face this little thing, it's here and now.

Check out the Cure/Research thread for more info.

I know it's jolting and hard to deal with, but it does get better, and YOU ARE NOT ALONE as you can plainly see. Through

darkness comes light; that's the way life is. Hang in there, girl. One Love.

Oh my goodness, I have to say, that is probably the best advice I've ever gotten. I found that Neosporin and Lidocaine helped immensely, but it was still pretty painful to urinate, and that tube thing is genius!