World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Doc Holiday

Why isn't testing for herpes more common in STD testing?

Doc Holiday

It's like it's nothing, just treated as a minor cold. You see commercials about getting tested for HIV and free HIV testing, but not herpes. Not only that but most STD test don't test for herpes, why? Herpes has to be #2 to HIV in the worst STD to catch and it's treated like it's nothing in the medical field. Exclusion from STD test and those who do get infected and visit a physician or emergency room get treated like there's nothing to worry about.

The physician at the emergency room and the physician he recommended I see for a follow up both passed it off as nothing. "Oh you have herpes. Welp I just subscribe you with some famvir and some oxy for your pain and you'll be all good. Just make sure you let your sex partners know your infected in the future." WTF?????? That's it??????? The physician I visited for the follow up was even worse, he just said that whenever I experience an outbreak come give him a visit and we'll take it from there. He didn't recommend nothing and didn't even say I need to disclose to future partners.

Is herpes just not a big deal??? Am I and everyone else on this support site just making a big deal out of nothing??? Hell if doctors see it as nothing it must not be a big deal, right????

*shrugs shoulders, like the physicians did during his visit*

boopboop

its not seen as a big deal...nope...

Over 70% of population has it... so why test...when there is a good chance it will come out positive...?

Also some don't think you need to know if you don't show symptoms!

x

Doc Holiday

So why is there such an end of the world vibe going on in these forums? Why even bother disclosing? Just wear contraceptive, make sure your not experiencing an outbreak and keep on having as much sex as you did before. Just be a little more careful this time around that's all.

Also 70% of the population has genital herpes, HSV2???? Link????????

gotitsowhat

Doctors generally only deal with the medical side of it and, medically speaking this is certainly NOT the worst thing you could have. Socially, it's another matter and that is what bothers patients. There seems to be little support from doctors about how to face the world with a strike against you in the dating world and possible misunderstanding from sex partners. That is why we have this forum. People here can deal with all of the emotional and social garbage doctors never mention.

One doctor told me that the main reason they don't test people for herpes is that they realize that the social stigma is so much worse than the actual condition that they don't like to put people through a life changing diagnosis is they can avoid it.

And, unfortunately, it is best to disclose. Condoms and other preventatives (like Valtrex) do not fully protect against the herpes virus although they greatly lessen the chances of passing it on. It is just not fair not to give a sex partner or lover or mate the choice of whether to take that chance. From reading a lot of posts here over these last few years, and from being an older chick whose observed a lot of relationships, not disclosing actually often winds up being more difficult in the long run than disclosing would. If you read enough posts here you will realize that. Please be brave about it and disclose your hsv infection. Use simple straightforward language that doesn't sound like a dramatic and terrible confession. If you present it positively ("I think it's time I told you that I carry the herpes simplex virus type___ so, if we proceed any further, we would have to consider how to mimimize the chances of my passing it on. I care about you so I thought you ought to know"), you will be accepted more than you might think.

janedoe227

They gave you narcotic pain relievers for your outbreak? Who's your doctor? LOL

blackvelvet

I think this is one of the worst issues with reproductive health community. Even if someone does not show symptoms, they can still spread it--in fact thats how most people get it! The person I was with showed no signs of any skin irritation, and had never had an outbreak in his life. He did tell me that he got tested regularly though. If testing for herpes were standard, he would have known. And he says he wouldnt have put me in this situation had he known. What more, he probably could have been on suppressive therapy and wouldn't have spread it at all--or at least the chances would have been much less.

I feel like that is the doctors giving into the stigma. If people could actually SEE how common this is, and how much little of an effect it has on someone's life (I know this isnt the case for all of us, but those 70-90% that have it that don't know, they're clearly doing quite alright). I think for *most* people, this virus has little physical effects.

I absolutely think testing should be standard, especially since its projected that 50% of women will have gential herpes by 2020 or 2025. Thats not a long time, especially in the medical world where it takes so long to do research, test drugs, etc.

I honestly think testing isnt standard is because blood tests are more expensive, but thats just me....

Teex

I know the feeling Doc when I finally got up the nerve to see My Doctor he did the exact same thing.And as for contraception it doesn't always work I was married to a Man for 8 yrs who knew about my hsv2 he was a military man and I was under the Doctor and we were always safe or so we thought we were now we both have hsv2.

curiouskaren

How many persons would know that when you take a std test it doesnt include herpes? when i did the test a few months ago I was told I was ok. now after choosing to do another test to satisfy my new boyfriend (now ex) I was told by the doc that he doesnt do the test unless it's asked for because it normally cause problem in relationships. and yep I have it and now single, feeling dirty and depressed. I have not been able to explain anything to my ex because he hasnt spoken to me after the word herpes was mentioned.

I feel upset with the doctor as well as the person who gave me. this is all i can think about, as I have no shoulder to cry on.

capricorn0

Ok first of all when a Dr says there is too much social stigma surrounded by this to test so we don't test for it, that is the dumbest answer ever. So as a doctor they would rather someone catch something they didn't have to catch in the 1st place from someone who could've been tested and then information could've been given before it was spread to the other person?In my opinion Dr's are doing a great disservice to all people period. People should know what they have so they don't spread it. Not only does this clear up confusion, but it also allows people to be honest with their sex partners. This would also prevent herpes from spreading as much as people can be more CAUTIOUS. I mean who the hell wants to be on meds or have ob's over something that could've been detected in the first place? The medical community sucks when it comes to this issue in my opinion. The way they handle it is embarrassing and demeaning and it gives people more of a pass to simply be uneducated about their lives and bodies. If you honestly think of it this way in their effort to spare someone's feelings who has it but is asymptomatic, they've actually caused that person to go out and infect someone else who may not be lucky to be asymptomatic and now that person has to deal with the social stigma. There needs to be a law made to prevent doctors from being so stupid. And not to mention the fact that if a woman catches this from someone and she's pregnant her baby can die from it if she doesn't have antibodies yet. So you tell me herpes isn't a dangerous disease not worth worrying about. Dr's can all kiss my ass with their incompetence in this matter. They all probably have it too. Maybe that's why they don't want the test.

valentine

Our perception of herpes(in the US anyways) is what appears to make it so horrible. More often than not, it's really not so horrible. A bit of a hassle for some. But, even then, a very low percentage of people even experience very bad symptoms long term and most people's symptoms lesson and become more mild the longer they have herpes.

I have to say... If I had to pick a so called "STD"(in my opinion, it's not even an STD. It's cold-sores. Nothing more.) Herpes is a lesser evil than some others out there that can really kill you while HSV-2 mostly just inconveniences you from time to time.

80% of people do indeed have oral HSV which is nearly identical to genital HSV.

Why inform people? Well if I love someone I'm going to be honest. If they really love me, if they really want to be with me cold-sores won't stop them. Ignorance might, but if they refuse to change their ignorance and educate themselves out of the love they should have for me well.... I don't think there's very much potential there anyways to spend my precious time on.

A very good post about the false perception you might like to read : http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?43030-We-don-t-make-it-so-scary-and-hopeless-in-Europe&highlight=don%27t+make+a+big+deal

lego

I would like to tell my situation. I contracted it 23 years ago and the man said, "But we are going to be together forever right? So, it doesn't matter." Well, we were not. Years later, I got confirmed that I had it and also HVP? The virus that causes cancer cells on cervix. The doctor never told me I could spread the HVP or that it was an STD. I should have been told! Over the years, I came to think that I could not spread herpes unless I had a sore. I was married for 7 years and used a condom when I had a break out. My ex-husband never contracted it. This was because I was careful and used a condom when I had a break out? NO I was so stupid.....all these years I didn't take the time to look it up on the internet. I don't think there was an internet when I got it, but just in the last 10 years I should have looked into it. I met a guy and told him I had the virus but he couldn't get it if we were careful. I feel so bad because my theory was wrong and now I have an ex-boyfriend who has it. He gives me the guilt trip all the time and thinks I should satisfy him sexually because now he can't get laid. And I this is how it is.....