World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Joefireman

Hello. I'm new too

Joefireman

Hi there.

I have a cold sore now. It's really beating me. Anyway. I divorced recently (a year) and have new girl friend. She says she didn't have a wild past but I think she's minimizing it for me because she knows that would bother me. So last April I end up getting this really enormous zit on my face a little below my lower lip. After a week or so of it not clearing up I went to my doctor. Normally my doctor is very nice and I love her but this time before even saying hello she asked if I had a new partner. Ugh. I think I started to cry right there on the spot. I know I cried for a couple days after that. She gave me antibiotics which seemed to help a bit and in about three weeks over all the sore had cleared up to just a red patch that also cleared up. My girl friend could see it was bothering me but didn't say anything. She told me early into our relationship that her ex had given her chlamydia but that it was long resolved. I never doubted that. She did not however believe she could have any other STD. I knew there was always a chance. Especially since her ex had a few partners while they were married. She said her ex-husband rarely touched her and it was only if she persisted. I had only two other partners including my ex.

Anyway. August comes along and welcome back ugly cold sore. Seems this is going to be a problem when I need it the least. At that point I started looking at ways to reduce or eliminate the CS from coming back. It lasted a couple weeks that time. Definitely shorter than the first OB. Read a lot about Lysine and Arginine. I had made huge strides in my lifestyle and diet and so many foods that were helping get healthier are listed as high in Arginine. So now I feel completed lost. I can't see myself healthy anymore and don't see a point at even trying to eat right and work out regularly. I gained back 10 pounds of the 30 I lost. At least I didn't gain back 40, right ?

I saw my doctor again and she prescribed Valtrex (the generic) to use when I feel an OB coming. I started a week long course of the valtrex as soon as I got it since I could feel tingling and itching most of the time. I'm not sure if it made a difference or not. I also started looking into dietary changes and supplements that might help. My doctor told me to get red green algae. Can't find the stuff. I found by searching that people are trying Red Marine Algae and figure thats what she meant. She did write down red green algae. Yes I can read a doctors writing. So my girl friend can see something is bothering me (I can't get anything past her) and starts nagging about wanting to help yadda yadda yadda. I really just wanted to deal with it on my own. I still had not talked to her about me having HSV. When the out break came in August I was just heading out on a backpacking trip with buddies and wasn't going to have contact with her for a week or so. Worked out okay. The guys I was with didn't say anything about it. At least I had a little break from the world. So she and I talked and at this point after seeing what I was reading she got upset thinking I think she gave it to me. Well Duh. That is what I was thinking. Anyway she reads about it and goes to her doctor and feels better about herself and we drop it. I still resent the fact that maybe I did get it from her but that's all just spilt milk now.

Merry Christmas Herpes. Yep three days before Christmas here we go again. I felt nothing coming on. NOTHING ! Up to that point I was feeling tingling and itching every once in a while. Weekly lets say for the past few months. I starting taking Red Marine Algae in October. Up to 1000mg each day. I would put a Lysine cream on the area when I felt it tingle/itch. But on Christmas, no warning. On top of that my youngest was receiving his Eagle Scout award the day after Christmas. So here I am. Ugly sore like a beacon on my face. Family, friends, pictures, you know. All the stuff that makes you feel good ????? like crap. The OB was shorter and less severe but none the less a Christmas that I'll not forget.

I'm wondering now if I will see this every four plus months regardless of preventative measures ?

I am adding Lysine tablets to my daily supplements (1500mg) and continuing the algae. For now I guess.

I did take the Valtrex for this last OB and I guess it helped.

I need to workout this diet issue.

I need to recognize the onset of an OB so I can try to get ahead of it.

I need to work on the stress. So many things are gnawing at me. Girl friend. Child support payments. Hostile work environment. Kids making poor decisions that I have to fix.

I really just want the OBs to not come back. Like everyone else.

Thanks for reading my dribble. :confused:

JBnATL

Do you know how many members here would kill just to have cold sores?

The good news is the longer you have it the more your body adjusts and the outbreaks come farther apart and shorter in duration. You seem to be taking the correct medications and researching what you can do to prevent future outbreaks.

Someone, not too long ago, posted that when he feels a cold sore coming on, he puts ear wax on the spot. He claims it has stopped the sores from coming up 100% of the time.

Good luck!

JB

Joefireman

Thanks JB. I do know I am "lucky" but you know it doesn't really feel lucky. I work in a very hostile firehouse. If you expose a weakness it will be exploited. The goal is to try and get the new guy to cry in the first week on the job. I love my job but this firehouse is very stressful. I've been on the job for almost 20 years and this is the worst assignment by far.

EARWAX !!! Hmmm. If I can get past the chuckling I may try it.

I need to learn how to recognize when a cold sore is coming on. I've felt the tingling and itching etc and not had an OB so I haven't associated it all accurately yet. Eventually I hope to figure it out.

Thanks for the reply. I am encouraged by this forum. It really is helpful. Even if I am super lucky.

boopboop

Il swap!

Yup.... Ill gratefully swap you your coldsore for my genital herpes....deal?

Loads of people have coldsores...most get them from relatives when babies or children.

Don't worry about it!, if anything you are now part of the majority! My Dad, Mum, Gran and best friend all get coldsores... is just a thing that goes about...

doesnt mean ur gf has been putting herself "about" I didnt put myself "about" and ive got genital herpes... is just a virus...like the cold...spreads easily...

Welcome to the club :)

norcallove

Hi. Welcome to this site! There is a lot of really good information to the right. Look under the prevention and treatment tab for great information about preventing and treating OBs. Sorry that your job is so stressful. I hope it gets better soon. Try to get a good amount of sleep and do things to relieve some of the stress.

I just wanted to add that you might not have gotten cold sores from your current GF. The virus can lay dormant for years! Furthermore, according to this site -

"Cold sores are very common. It is estimated that 80% percent of the American population have been exposed to the Herpes simplex virus (which is the virus that causes cold sores).

An interesting fact is that although a person has been infected with the herpes and cold sore virus, they may not necessarily experience an outbreak. This is because some people's immune systems have the ability to completely suppress the virus."

A member on here said that in France almost 100% of the people have HSV1. Anyway, I'm just trying to show you that it is very common and you could have had it before you met her. Also, if she did give it to you, she didn't do it intentionally. Try to not blame her, it won't make anything better. It seems like you have had a very stressful year, you might have had this for a long time and that might be what caused the OBs. It is just really hard to tell when and from who you got this from. The blame game doesn't do anything to help it. All it is causing you to do is resent your GF and make her feel bad. I hope this helps. :)

Take care. :) I really hope you can reduce some of the stress in your life and get this under control.

Joefireman

Thanks. I understand it is probably not her fault. I'm not blaming her. I was angry after the first two OBs but so much now. Biggest problem is the stress. Going to make that a priority.

Please don't think I'm being selfish about the minor cold sore I get when so many others have it much worse. Just wish it wasn't visible.

Thanks again.

norcallove

No one thinks you're being selfish. We're all here to support each other. :) Take care.

fattypatty

I dug out my book "The Mindful path to self-compassion. Freeing Yourself from DestructiveThoughts and Emotions." by Christopher Germer. Helps with taking ourselves down off the cross and finding self-love which promotes healing in all aspects. 10$ on Amazon. yes, some meditation exercises, but they are good to knock down physical and psychological stress.

Joefireman

Thanks fattypatty. I'll check my library too.

HA. My library has it. It's checked out right now but I'll get it. Thanks again.